'Psychic' Sally Morgan's charming family...

Comments

• egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindless clones on her Facebook page still insist the footage is from two years ago with Mark Tilbrook,simply because the camera date hadnt been changed! Their hero even stated it was April this year and stl they post repeatedly.

" Yes Sandra Hosler that video was from two years ago...sue is a prime example of jumping on the band wagon not knowing the facts as she thought it was from april this year...it happened two years ago which is why i think sal should not of sacked daren its unfair ta sack someone on something that happened 2 yrs ago" [sic]

Irony in spades.
  • fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt very much the man was outside the venue handing out leaflets because he was concerned about the vulnerable or feeble minded being exploited. Cynical I might be but I've yet to see any group of so called skeptics show much concern for those who are 'feeble minded' or believers or people who think the ability exists, other than as a useful target for abuse, piss taking and a handy tool for feeling superior and smarter.

The guys wife was being called a fraud, they've also just gone through a lengthy court case where she was being accused of fraud, I believe. It's not beyond the realms of understandable that he lost it, whether he's actually a thug or not. A lot of people would have. It was wrong of him he lost control and now Sally Morgan has taken steps to redress the situation.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    fastzombie wrote: »
    I doubt very much the man was outside the venue handing out leaflets because he was concerned about the vulnerable or feeble minded being exploited. Cynical I might be but I've yet to see any group of so called skeptics show much concern for those who are 'feeble minded' or believers or people who think the ability exists, other than as a useful target for abuse, piss taking and a handy tool for feeling superior and smarter.

The guys wife was being called a fraud
    , they've also just gone through a lengthy court case where she was being accused of fraud, I believe. It's not beyond the realms of understandable that he lost it, whether he's actually a thug or not. A lot of people would have. It was wrong of him he lost control and now Sally Morgan has taken steps to redress the situation.

She is a fraud because, get this, psychic ability is a con.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

The guys wife was being called a fraud, they've also just gone through a lengthy court case where she was being accused of fraud, I believe. It's not beyond the realms of understandable that he lost it, whether he's actually a thug or not. A lot of people would have. It was wrong of him he lost control and now Sally Morgan has taken steps to redress the situation.

Have you read the leaflets, watched interviews with the guy or indeed even talked to him? His actions were simply giving people the information they needed to make their own minds up about so-called psychics. He wasn't abusing or harassing anyone. I would have though anyone secure in their abilities as a psychic, or those who are secure in their beliefs about psychics would welcome someone weeding out the frauds and charlatans.

The problem is, of course, that they are all frauds and charlatans, and some of them are downright dangerous. These people should be challenged and people should be made aware of how they operate. There are plenty of examples of Morgan giving out medical advice based on the voices in her head. For example:
    Subject: You've mentioned health, what about my health?

Sally: You're very … there's nothing wrong with you

Subject: So … no HIV or anything?

Sally: Oh don't tell me that!

Subject: I hope not, I pray. I've never been tested

Sally: Never say you don't need … You don't need to be tested. I'm looking up to God here …

Subject: I have a fear of needles.

Sally: Well I'm looking up to God here and you haven't got it. Okay. So as long as you remain sensible with your partners, you have not got it.

I don't know about you, but I rather feel that Sally Morgan telling someone they haven't got HIV rather than, oh, advising them to get tested is just a tad irresponsible.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they've also just gone through a lengthy court case where she was being accused of fraud, I believe.

A case (for libel) brought by Morgan herself.

The mistake that the Daily Mail made was making specific allegations that they couldn't stand up. It doesn't make her claims of being 'psychic' any more true.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can give her an EEG to see if she really is in a trance state or if she is searching her memory for clues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    They can give her an EEG to see if she really is in a trance state or if she is searching her memory for clues.

Or she could take part in a controlled experiment to demonstrate that she has psychic powers. Which she won't, because she doesn't.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Mindless clones on her Facebook page still insist the footage is from two years ago with Mark Tilbrook,simply because the camera date hadnt been changed! Their hero even stated it was April this year and stl they post repeatedly.

" Yes Sandra Hosler that video was from two years ago...sue is a prime example of jumping on the band wagon not knowing the facts as she thought it was from april this year...it happened two years ago which is why i think sal should not of sacked daren its unfair ta sack someone on something that happened 2 yrs ago" [sic]

Irony in spades.

If true, it shows that they're wrong. It states at the start of the video that the footage was recorded in April this year. So, they think that someone shouldn't be sacked for something because they think it happened 2 years ago? Hmm...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He might have started recording because he thought that they would start threatening him if they looked aggressive as they were coming towards him. Basically, recording just in case they started threatening him, which they did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Or she could take part in a controlled experiment to demonstrate that she has psychic powers. Which she won't, because she doesn't.

We talked about this once. She only needs a fair test to see is she scores significantly above chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one she refused iirc required her to score much higher.

She should be offered a statistically valid test.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Have you read the leaflets, watched interviews with the guy or indeed even talked to him? His actions were simply giving people the information they needed to make their own minds up about so-called psychics. He wasn't abusing or harassing anyone. I would have though anyone secure in their abilities as a psychic, or those who are secure in their beliefs about psychics would welcome someone weeding out the frauds and charlatans.

The problem is, of course, that they are all frauds and charlatans, and some of them are downright dangerous. These people should be challenged and people should be made aware of how they operate. There are plenty of examples of Morgan giving out medical advice based on the voices in her head. For example:

Out of interest what was actually in the leaflet. How to tell the difference between a geniune psychic and a con artists, or as you say, they're all frauds. If it's the latter then he's just peddling his own BS and forcing it on other people, which while not illegal makes him a tiresome pain in the ass, and far from actually arming people with useful knowledge. As for her handing out medical advice. She's stupid if she does, and her stock answer should be any concerns visit your doctor.

What say I stood outside a skeptics convention handing out leaflets about how dishonest and fraudulent some of it's leading spokemen have turned out to be - which they have - or highlightted some of the more controversial statements some of them have made regarding things like eugenics, sexual harrassment etc. How do you think that would play out? Is it fair to use one instance to tar a whole movement and the people who follow it do you think.

And I'll say again. If the genuine motivation of the comments behind this thread is a concern for the vulnerable and feeble minded being exploited, then why the schoolyard taunting, ganging up and mockery. Do you think that's the best way to get people to come over to your way of thinking.

[
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one she refused iirc required her to score much higher.

She should be offered a statistically valid test.

You talking to yourself now? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest what was actually in the leaflet. How to tell the difference between a geniune psychic and a con artists, or as you say, they're all frauds. If it's the latter then he's just peddling his own BS and forcing it on other people, which while not illegal makes him a tiresome pain in the ass, and far from actually arming people with useful knowledge. As for her handing out medical advice. She's stupid if she does, and her stock answer should be any concerns visit your doctor.

What say I stood outside a skeptics convention handing out leaflets about how dishonest and fraudulent some of it's leading spokemen have turned out to be - which they have - or highlightted some of the more controversial statements some of them have made regarding things like eugenics, sexual harrassment etc. How do you think that would play out? Is it fair to use one instance to tar a whole movement and the people who follow it do you think.

And I'll say again. If the genuine motivation of the comments behind this thread is a concern for the vulnerable and feeble minded being exploited, then why the schoolyard taunting, ganging up and mockery. Do you think that's the best way to get people to come over to your way of thinking.

[

The leaflet here http://goodthinkingsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/GTS-Psychic-Awareness-Leaflet.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We talked about this once. She only needs a fair test to see is she scores significantly above chance.

Scoring significantly above average chance only means that she could be extremely lucky. If a psychic can communicate with living people/dead people, they should be able to get everything right. Obviously, the dead person would only tell her things that their living loved one knows about. She won't take part in a controlled experiment though, because she knows damn fine that she's not a genuine psychic. She comes out with the usual "I don't have to take part in a controlled experiment because I know that I have psychic powers and that's all that matters" nonsense when asked about it. She damn well knows that she's a fake and that she's cruelly exploiting vulnerable people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You talking to yourself now? :o

No I edited it but thanks for noticing. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I have to say that seems a fair enough list of statements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Scoring significantly above average chance only means that she could be extremely lucky. If a psychic can communicate with living people/dead people, they should be able to get everything right. Obviously, the dead person would only tell her things that their living loved one knows about. She won't take part in a controlled experiment though, because she knows damn fine that she's not a genuine psychic. She comes out with the usual "I don't have to take part in a controlled experiment because I know that I have psychic powers and that's all that matters" nonsense when asked about it. She damn well knows that she's a fake and that she's cruelly exploiting vulnerable people.

No absolutely not. This is where skeptics who say they are thinking scientifically are not at all. Statistical significance is to rule out luck as the cause.

You might as well say that Prozac or Celexa has to cure every single person who takes it, or removed from the market as a bogus substance. Antidepressants help maybe 50% of persons.

If a psychic can score significantly above chance on a series of tests, then she or he is not any more or less of a fraud than Prozac.

Then it should really be up to the public to decide if they want to go to someone who may be correct in some of the things they say. Or may not be. Just like Prozac.

Then there can be people still negative about psychics and negative about antidepressants but not to the level that they only con people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Morgan will never take part in any sort of blind test, where she is unable to have prior information or cold read, because she would never pass it.

If she really had psychic powers, and was able to prove it, she wouldn't need to resort to making statements like: “I don’t have to prove anything. They [the critics] have to prove to me there is no afterlife. I prove every night that there is an afterlife.”
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgan will never take part in any sort of blind test, where she is unable to have prior information or cold read, because she would never pass it.

Well first she has to be offered a fair test with fair measurement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well first she has to be offered a fair test with fair measurement.

Has she ever stated what she would consider to be 'fair'?

Or is it more likely that it's better for her career to claim that every test suggested is 'unfair'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has she ever stated what she would consider to be 'fair'?

Or is it more likely that it's better for her career to claim that every test suggested is 'unfair'?

I really think it is more up to the skeptics who doubt her, to offer her what is a fair test of her abilities.

Then if she refuses, mmm, doesn't look so good.

You can't really expect someone to be designing their own test.

Or having a vested interest in doing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think it is more up to the skeptics who doubt her, to offer her what is a fair test of her abilities.

So the answer to my question, i'm presuming, is 'no' then?

Morgan is the one claiming to have psychic powers - a 'phenomenon' which is completely unproven. If she really does, then surely she knows exactly what they entail, so is in a much better position to lay out what a fair test would be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then if she refuses, mmm, doesn't look so good.

You can't really expect someone to be designing their own test.

Or having a vested interest in doing it.

I don't know. I think it should be a more nuetral agent that sets the paremeters. Not Richard Wiseman, who would manage to be able to find no psychic ability in God.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the answer to my question, i'm presuming, is 'no' then?

Morgan is the one claiming to have psychic powers - a 'phenomenon' which is completely unproven. If she really does, then surely she knows exactly what they entail, so is in a much better position to lay out what a fair test would be?

How so? She isn't a scientist.

You make the error of assuming that she thinks like a skeptic.

Right now she is bringing in the money so she isn't motivated to do anything.

From her viewpoint ( I'm bringing in the money) why does she care.