Vintage 3D: "The Bubble" coming in November

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
Forum Member
✭✭
Vintage probably isn't the right word to describe Arch Oboler's SF movie but I can't think of polite one.
The SpaceVision 3D on the big screen was remarkable (also very cool specs) and puts most of today's efforts to shame, so it's to be hoped that it's retained on the Blu-Ray release.
Restored by 3D Movie Archive from the (mercifully) shorter version, any 3D fan should grab it.
Seen with an open mind, no expectations of good acting or logical plot development, plus alcohol, and a good time is guaranteed.
Robert Bernier's 3D system was an ingenious way of shooting 3D with one camera (and in widescreen without the need for anamorphic lenses) by splitting the 35mm frame horizontally. Although it was only used for a few other movies, e.g. the execrable "Flesh for Frankenstein", it was the basis for the 3D camera systems used in the 80s revival.
"The Bubble" was probably SpaceVision's finest hour.

Comments

• Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this in 3D at a revival at the original Scala cinema in London back in the 80's.

I can't remember much about the 3D itself, I think it was ok...but the film itself is truly dreadful.

The problem with creaky antiques like this is that no matter how much they dress them up in new editions, new formats, new releases etc...after watching them you inevitably wonder what you ever saw in the film in the first place..especially if you have not seen it for some years.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you're right but when it was on at the ICA in the 80s I went to see it twice.:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The long unseen 3D war movie "Dragonfly Squadron" will be released on Blu-Ray in October.
    Both it and "The Bubble" will now be region free.
    Both have been painstakingly restored by 3D Film Archive.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So will these be with the red + blue glasses or can you watch them on 3D tvs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    So will these be with the red + blue glasses or can you watch them on 3D tvs?

No coloured specs. these are Blu-Rays for 3DTV (and suitable 3D player). According to 3D Film Archive passive 3D is best and they know a thing or two about 3D
    Red/Blue anaglyphs only work well in black and white and not very well on TV in any case.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    God, The Bubble, i saw that back in the 80's as well, I remember a ladder swinging out into the audience but thats about all. Wasn't it about a town that had some sort of a force field suddenly surround it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    God, The Bubble, i saw that back in the 80's as well, I remember a ladder swinging out into the audience but thats about all. Wasn't it about a town that had some sort of a force field suddenly surround it ?

That's the one. It may have been the inspiration, for good or ill, for Stephen King's "Under the Dome".
    It's the drinks tray lifting off the bar and out of the screen that people usually remember.
    No one is ever going to consider it a masterpiece but it deserves a chance to be seen.
    Director Arch Oboler kicked off the 50s 3D boom with "B'Wana Devil" and was still at it in the 60s.