Salad Jars

2»

Comments

• Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when a salad selection has coleslaw at the bottom without telling you anywhere, like what Greggs does! :mad:
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when a salad selection has coleslaw at the bottom without telling you anywhere, like what Greggs does! :mad:

Coleslaw would be much nicer on top :D

<or would you prefer a nice big dollop of salad cream instead? ;-)>
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's a surprise that they eat salad though

Americans do have salads, it's just that they are so covered in oils, creamy sauces and dressings that are so calorific, a plate of chips would be healthier!! :D
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Coleslaw would be much nicer on top :D

<or would you prefer a nice big dollop of salad cream instead? ;-)>

I insist on the salad cream instead! :mad:

:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Does anyone prep a weeks worth of salad jars for lunch at work etc? I want to get really strict with my diet and ive read these are good - just wondering if anyone finds them helpful?

Also how long can you keep cooked chicken in the fridge for?

Thanks in advance

These might not be what you asked about though perhaps you would consider using these instead of the jars.

Recently I ordered some of these http://www.ecoegg.com/product/food-saver-bags/ reusable bags as I was finding that my fruit and veg were not staying fresh. They certainly do what they say and I have not had to throw away any fresh food since buying them.

Perhaps you could make up the salad using the ingredients,place them in the bag and just add the salad dressing on the day that you need to eat it and then place the bag and contents in a plastic container.

There are some cheaper versions of these bags though I have heard that they do not keep the food fresh so it's best to pay a little more for the real thing.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    lah1 wrote: »
    These might not be what you asked about though perhaps you would consider using these instead of the jars.

Recently I ordered some of these http://www.ecoegg.com/product/food-saver-bags/ reusable bags as I was finding that my fruit and veg were not staying fresh. They certainly do what they say and I have not had to throw away any fresh food since buying them.

Perhaps you could make up the salad using the ingredients,place them in the bag and just add the salad dressing on the day that you need to eat it and then place the bag and contents in a plastic container.

There are some cheaper versions of these bags though I have heard that they do not keep the food fresh so it's best to pay a little more for the real thing.

The page says things like scientifically proven but doesnt explain how the differ from any other seal-able bag. As you have some what does it say on the packet to explain why it works?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's a surprise that they eat salad though

:D LOL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    The page says things like scientifically proven but doesnt explain how the differ from any other seal-able bag. As you have some what does it say on the packet to explain why it works?

They probably don't do anything a cheap sealable sandwich bag wouldn't do!

But that's probably not 'hip' enough lol ;-)
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I take salad to work in a sealable plastic box, It takes about 30 seconds to make a salad, with chopped cucumber, lettuce, celery, tomatoes, red onion etc in the morning, I take a tin of tuna and open it at work and add it to the salad. Sometimes I'm really daring and have chicken or even ham instead of tuna.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone prep a weeks worth of salad jars for lunch at work etc? I want to get really strict with my diet and ive read these are good - just wondering if anyone finds them helpful?

Also how long can you keep cooked chicken in the fridge for?

Thanks in advance

If you are dieting, my advice would be not to pre prepare any food.

It's well known that preparing/cooking food acts as a curb on appetite when you finally get to sit down and eat what you have made.

Ever noticed how you are starving right up to the minute the first mouthful of takeaway goes down whereas if you cook, by the time it's ready you aren't so bothered, so you eat less.

Eat something already made and that natural function disappears and you will feel unsatisfied very quickly after eating (and that's when the snacking starts).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are dieting, my advice would be not to pre prepare any food.

It's well known that preparing/cooking food acts as a curb on appetite when you finally get to sit down and eat what you have made.

Ever noticed how you are starving right up to the minute the first mouthful of takeaway goes down whereas if you cook, by the time it's ready you aren't so bothered, so you eat less.

Eat something already made and that natural function disappears and you will feel unsatisfied very quickly after eating (and that's when the snacking starts).

That's actually good advice and I see what you say there.

Having a drink of water helps as well. If you still want to eat 10 minutes later, then you are hungry and not just thirsty :)