Options

Weekend breaks abroad in January?

MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just wondering if I can get some recommendations for city breaks (preferably in Europe) for January? I like the idea of going away for a weekend in the new year as it is generally the cheapest time to travel right after the xmas season.
Bearing in mind it is winter, I don't want to do somewhere with minus temperatures....just a climate like the UK would be most suitable I guess.
Cheers for any ideas.

Comments

• Options
    marfjammarfjam Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malaga.

Did it this year, 2nd week in January. Cool in the evenings, but shirtsleeve weather by day. Lots and lots to see and do: museums, art galleries, shopping, nightlife, concerts, cheap eating, cheap drinking, cheap flights...

What more could you want?
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look at Lisbon. Good weather and great value for money.

Barcelona and Madrid would also fit the bill, but not as cheap (Barcelona in particular).
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Bruges, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Vienna, Prague, Brussels, Florence.

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/holidays/city-breaks/
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »

Barcelona and Madrid would also fit the bill, but not as cheap (Barcelona in particular).

Madrid is one beautiful city, but temperatures in January are low, usually a low of 3C, and a high of 10C.
    Lisbon is a little better, between 10C and 14C.
    Madrid is much bigger though, with more to see and do.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were in Florence last January, well I think it was January. It was cold but a coat soon sorted that. It's a stunning and very walkable city. We loved it.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm off to Berlin around that time. I would recommend Amsterdam though...beautiful, amazing city.
  • Options
    gers09gers09 Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marfjam wrote: »
    Malaga.

Did it this year, 2nd week in January. Cool in the evenings, but shirtsleeve weather by day. Lots and lots to see and do: museums, art galleries, shopping, nightlife, concerts, cheap eating, cheap drinking, cheap flights...

What more could you want?

I can second this.
    I worked in Malaga for a short time recently and loved the City. Absolutely tons to do as mentioned, cheap flights with a very easy Metro connecting airport to the City, and then my favourite part...the amazing nightlife and tapas bars!!

The weather in January is very similar to a Scottish summer. If you get dry days then the temperatures up to (and occasionally exceed) 20 degrees. But it does feel cool when it rains and can often get a couple of days in a row with poor weather at this time of year.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »

I would exclude Madrid on temperature grounds. I went in November and it was below zero at night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would exclude Madrid on temperature grounds. I went in November and it was below zero at night.

Madrid is outrageously cold in the winter. Which is somewhat hard to believe if you've ever been there in summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I'm liking the sounds of Malaga, Amsterdam and Lisbon so will do a little research on them:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, i've been to Madrid in February and didn't really notice it being especially colder than Barcelona which i've been to in the winter a few times. Might have just got lucky that particular week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisbon is looking extremely attractive at the moment....€90 flights with aer lingus and lovely, cheap accom for as little as €80pps for four nights.
    The only downside is that Lisbon seems very popular now with hen and stag parties so not sure it would be worth the hassle as "nightlife" would be a big part of my trip:s
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We visited Istanbul in January a few years back. Very different city - east meets wests and all of that - with loads to see and do. And cheap.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if I can get some recommendations for city breaks (preferably in Europe) for January? I like the idea of going away for a weekend in the new year as it is generally the cheapest time to travel right after the xmas season.
    Bearing in mind it is winter, I don't want to do somewhere with minus temperatures....just a climate like the UK would be most suitable I guess.
    Cheers for any ideas.

If you could extend the weekend a bit.

There are flights available from Gatwick to LAX for under £400
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palma a wonderful old town, that many people overlook.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I'm liking the sounds of Malaga, Amsterdam and Lisbon so will do a little research on them:)
    I'm sure this wasn't normal, but just to warn you that the last time I was in Amsterdam in January it was -14 C.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Has anyone been to Bilbao I'm considering that for January
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Cheers for any ideas.

Why not try Andalucia, I have been to Malaga in January - a good base for the region and a lovely city. I got sunburnt and it was pleasantly warm. Bar the Canaries that is the best place to go to get decent weather and there are loads of flights from the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Bilbao I'm considering that for January

I've been to Bilbao but only overnight and it was a football match so I didn't really do anything other than drink.

It looked a beautiful place and I'd love to go back and do some exploring. If you or anyone you travel with love football then it's worth going to a football game there as Athletic Club are well supported and in a nice new stadium (when I went it was the old one).

We went to Bilbao around March/April time and the weather wasn't great. But I wouldn't let that stop you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you could extend the weekend a bit.

There are flights available from Gatwick to LAX for under £400

Admittedly, you'd get the weather, but LA certainly wouldn't be at the top of my list for a city break.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Budapest one January weekend, it was cold and it snowed, but it was a great weekend.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malaga is a good choice as there are so many cheap flights from regional UK airports. Most people head west along the Costa and ignore the city itself. Their loss.

Also, look at Alicante and Valencia. Two great little Spanish coastal cities which haven't been ruined by mass tourism. The weather should be nice enough to sit outside during the day in shirt sleeves but you'll need a coat at night.

I like Lisbon too but January may be a little risky for the weather as it's on the Atlantic coast.

I used to love Barcelona 10 years ago but it has now got too expensive, overcrowded and there is a big pickpocketing problem in the city centre.