Options

Bruno Mars: Superbowl

RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
Forum Member
Got to say I think he's been weak so far, the sound seems echoey and off, and its all a bit pedestrian, except for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers briefly livening it up.

he's the least experienced Super Bowl half-timer in a long time, and sadly I think this shows come a bit too soon for him. Good fireworks at the end though.

Comments

• Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's an awesome singer and performer, but I wasn't wowed by it. Plus it all seemed to be over rather quickly, I'm sure Beyoncé and Madonna were on longer. It was a great performance still I think, but not as memorable as Beyoncé and Madonna.
  • Options
    tommYHYHtommYHYH Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I thought he did a fantastic job. Sure, he doesn't have that star power that Beyonce had last year - she owned it. But I was really impressed by his performance.
  • Options
    TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I thought he as fantastic - great performance and his band are brilliant as well. I also liked the RHCP joining them. I love Bruno, saw him in October last year on his tour and he doesn't get enough credit I don't think. :)
  • Options
    MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched his performance, it was really good as always, he's always a solid performer but I still think it was an odd choice. After Beyonce it was pretty much impossible to beat so I understand why someone like Bruno was chosen in that sense but it's still weird choice as although he's probably the biggest male popstar out at the minute (other than maybe Justin Timberlake) he's only had 2 albums and doesn't have a massive catalogue of hits! If they were looking a male performer I think Justin Timberlake could have been great, He has that star power that Bruno lacks and has enough hits to pull it off (see last years VMA performance as evidence)

I hope we have another massive performer next year, i'm praying for Rihanna to do it. By then her new album will be out and she'll be celebrating 10 years in music, she also tweeted Bruno last night congratulating him, maybe trying to get into the minds of the halftime show bookers???
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the average age of Superbowl spectators, a totally unsuitable act to choose, (the fact that I thought him naff hardly matters). I guess that's why they had all those teenyboppers grouped round the stage.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    Just watched his performance, it was really good as always, he's always a solid performer but I still think it was an odd choice. After Beyonce it was pretty much impossible to beat so I understand why someone like Bruno was chosen in that sense but it's still weird choice as although he's probably the biggest male popstar out at the minute (other than maybe Justin Timberlake) he's only had 2 albums and doesn't have a massive catalogue of hits! If they were looking a male performer I think Justin Timberlake could have been great, He has that star power that Bruno lacks and has enough hits to pull it off (see last years VMA performance as evidence)

I hope we have another massive performer next year, i'm praying for Rihanna to do it. By then her new album will be out and she'll be celebrating 10 years in music, she also tweeted Bruno last night congratulating him, maybe trying to get into the minds of the halftime show bookers???

I doubt they'd pic him after the 2003 incident
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's gotta be pink next year?
    (i would say that :blush:)
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole reason they picked him was after recent controversial performers not behaving at the shows. I'm looking at you middle finger flashing MIA. They clearly wanted someone safe that wasn't going to cause upset. He did alright, nice bit of drumming he did at the start of it and his tunes are pleasant enough. The Chilli Peppers were of course added a bit of Steak to the otherwise Vegetarian meal and then quickly moved away again before anyone watching in the Mid West strictly religious territories started to question what the lyric "Give it away now" and "What I got you gotta let me put it in you" might be referring to.

I think overall it was a success.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana Del Rey for next year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Britney rihanna or lady gaga for next year they all know how put on a show (really want britney)
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britney rihanna or lady gaga for next year they all know how put on a show (really want britney)

Britney would be a terrible choice, yeah she has hits and plenty of them but she just isn't capable of putting on a show like she used to.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Britney would be a terrible choice, yeah she has hits and plenty of them but she just isn't capable of putting on a show like she used to.

She could easily copy and paste her Vegas show to the Superbowl stage though....I'm thinking she could be a legit choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    it's gotta be pink next year?
    (i would say that :blush:)

I second this!
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »

Britney may be full of auto tune/lip sync but she's guarantied to put on an very entertaining show which is all the American really care for, but given her sexual nature she'll be far from the top

My cash is on Gaga as she sorta needs it due to ARTPOP not being successful as her previous two albums
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Seattle in the Super Bowl it should have been Pearl Jam. No offence but why do they have pop acts, it's not really the target audience of sports fans is it!!
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce was the best ever in my opinion. I want them to give pop acts a rest now. Definitely want a rock band or something next year.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen him perform on anything and I was pleasantly surprised. Rather enjoyable, well up until the Chilli Peppers turned up and ruined it.

I would imagine that they'll continue on this 'younger' trend for Glendale. After all there aren't many safe 'old' acts left to trot out.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay, One Direction, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry,Pink would be better suited.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Yikes...

If that were the options, I think I'm glad its known as the No Fun League.
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »

I really like Rihanna but I don't think that would go well at all. Although she has loads of brilliant songs, she just isn't a good performer and it would show. There'd be a backlash if she did it and her vocals were really off and she didn't dance properly.

Plus it would no doubt spring up comparisons with the Beyoncé performance, which would most likely end up badly for Rihanna.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    He killed it.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digichant wrote: »
    I really like Rihanna but I don't think that would go well at all. Although she has loads of brilliant songs, she just isn't a good performer and it would show. There'd be a backlash if she did it and her vocals were really off and she didn't dance properly.

Plus it would no doubt spring up comparisons with the Beyoncé performance, which would most likely end up badly for Rihanna.

I wouldn't worry about that, two of the biggest acts lip synced (MJ & Madonna) for the vast majority of the performance.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Chic, Daft Punk, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Alicia Keyes?

There was a run of 6 rock bands after the Janet Jackson mishap but Madonna and Beyoncé have restored the image of dance music. Madonna's effort was the most watched at the time but the most watched on repeat is probably U2 who turned out to be the perfect band for the most imperfect time, the first Super Bowl after 9/11.

I think Chic with Daft Punk guesting would be perfect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eminem for 2015!