Options

Would I be arrested?

QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
Forum Member
✭✭✭
2 months before Mr Q died, he was subjected to some really nasty, uncalled for, racist abuse by my father. He did make a complaint and the police cautioned him. Today I saw father for first time since his passing (taking daughter to cadets) and I screamed at him and said how could he say to Mr Q to go back to the country he was born when father was born in ireland? Now I'm sitting here in tears, shaking like mad and I think I may get arrested. I know I shouldn't have but seeing him there just overwhelmed me. I didn't say anything about Mr Q had died I just wanted to let him know that what he said to Mr Q was disgusting. I'm so scared:cry:

Comments

• Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    2 months before Mr Q died, he was subjected to some really nasty, uncalled for, racist abuse by my father. He did make a complaint and the police cautioned him. Today I saw father for first time since his passing (taking daughter to cadets) and I screamed at him and said how could he say to Mr Q to go back to the country he was born when father was born in ireland? Now I'm sitting here in tears, shaking like mad and I think I may get arrested. I know I shouldn't have but seeing him there just overwhelmed me. I didn't say anything about Mr Q had died I just wanted to let him know that what he said to Mr Q was disgusting. I'm so scared:cry:

Sorry for your loss and sorry you are so upset.

Not sure you would be arrested for what you said. I am sure if he complained plod would take what he said and your state of mind as mitigation.

Best wishes.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if it happened out in the street then technically I suppose it could be classed as "breach of the peace".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    if it happened out in the street then technically I suppose it could be classed as "breach of the peace".

Way to put someone's mind at rest.

OP, obviously this isn't going to happen. So, don't worry about getting arrested.
  • Options
    doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean to sound rude but who is Mr Q
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine the Police taking much of an interest even if your father made a complaint, they'd probably just see it as a domestic type of incident.

I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't swear or threaten, just wanted an answer. But obviously I did raise my voice. I know I shouldn't have, but I felt I had to defend Mr Q.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    Way to put someone's mind at rest.

OP, obviously this isn't going to happen. So, don't worry about getting arrested.

i was merely stating what the technicalities might be.
    it would, of course, require someone filing a complaint and there being witnesses to confirm it.

unlikely to happen, but still just stating the technicalities of it.

however, if the "father" is of the mind to be a nuisance then it is something that you never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't swear or threaten, just wanted an answer. But obviously I did raise my voice. I know I shouldn't have, but I felt I had to defend Mr Q.

Then seriously I wouldn't worry about the police, shouting at your Dad isn't an offence, as far as I'm aware!

It might have done you good in the long run, to have got it off your chest a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel so stupid and shouldn't have done it. Should have listened to what Mr Q would say to me 'walk away, don't lower yourself'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel so stupid and shouldn't have done it. Should have listened to what Mr Q would say to me 'walk away, don't lower yourself'.

Well, it's done now. You've told him what you think of him and you should move on. As they say, the best revenge is living well!

You have all your good memories and a mean spirited old man can't take that away from you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member

Ohh ((((hugs))))

You will not get arrested. And even if you did you have so many mitigating factors that it would get thrown out.

If people just got lifted for shouting I don't think they'd be many left around here, they are always yelling at each other and it's not pleasant stuff. This is obviously personal and private and the police would stay well away. if he did report it I suspect under the circumstances they would be happy telling him you had been spoken to.
    Police can be sympathetic and do have discretion.

Try not to worry. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Time to move on and get some counselling.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get arrested if someone has made a complaint. Has your father complained to the police?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope so, although I'm scared. Never been in trouble with the police before. I'm no trouble maker and the sort of person who if I saw any member of my family, I would walk across the road to avoid them. But seeing him come out of a pub just angered me.
  • Options
    Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to move on and get some counselling.

I'm not sure if you would get arrested for this or not, but I think the post above is very pertinent. There are lots of underlying issues you should deal with for the sake of yourself and your daughter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nansbread wrote: »
    You get arrested if someone has made a complaint.

No, she wouldn't.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope so, although I'm scared. Never been in trouble with the police before. I'm no trouble maker and the sort of person who if I saw any member of my family, I would walk across the road to avoid them. But seeing him come out of a pub just angered me.

Well that's clearly not true.

What charge do you think you might be arrested on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents weren't nice to me either. There are loads of adults totally effed up cos of what there parents were like to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, she wouldn't.

What she has done could be construed as breach of peace, therefore, in some cases, someone who is disturbing the peace may be taken into custody. Of course that is dependant on who heard her, and if they decided to pursue the matter.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you won't get into trouble I think you're just upset and need to look after yourself as you're probably a bit worried about everything considering your great loss.

Hugs to you
  • Options
    MinotaurMinotaur Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I'm an ex-copper.

Sorry to hear of your loss :-(

Please ignore the 'breach of the peace' element mentioned - it does not apply subsequent to an incident. BOTP is only a fallback offence used by police officers; from memory the definition used was

"a breach of the peace occurs when an act is done, or threatened to be done which harms a person; or in their presence their property."

Once any 'situation' ends without incident; then use of BOTP becomes redundant. The most officious police officer 'might' warn you to relax in public (not that anyone will be coming to see you..I'd bet my forthcoming pension on that).

In reality; *if* he complained; the officers would be unable to assist as you committed no obvious offences; and indeed would probably feel a great deal of sympathy for you.

I have a lot of 'issues' with my former employers; BUT in this case I know the advice I've given is correct. Sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling.

Take Care
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's clearly not true.

What charge do you think you might be arrested on?

Every Wednesay, at exactly the same time, me and daughter leave for her cadets and walk the same way we have done for a year since she's joined them. As we were approaching the traffic lights to cross the road, he came out of the pub which is near the traffic lights. It wasn't as if I saw him and approached him. It was just very unfortunate timing. Daughter is talking to her staff sergeant about this too just to be sure if anything would happen to me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Minotaur wrote: »
    I'm an ex-copper.

Sorry to hear of your loss :-(

Please ignore the 'breach of the peace' element mentioned - it does not apply subsequent to an incident. BOTP is only a fallback offence used by police officers; from memory the definition used was

"a breach of the peace occurs when an act is done, or threatened to be done which harms a person; or in their presence their property."

Once any 'situation' ends without incident; then use of BOTP becomes redundant. The most officious police officer 'might' warn you to relax in public (not that anyone will be coming to see you..I'd bet my forthcoming pension on that).

In reality; *if* he complained; the officers would be unable to assist as you committed no obvious offences; and indeed would probably feel a great deal of sympathy for you.

I have a lot of 'issues' with my former employers; BUT in this case I know the advice I've given is correct. Sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling.

Take Care

Thank you. I wish people would do their research before unnecessarily scaring people. No offence to anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I wish people would do their research before unnecessarily scaring people. No offence to anyone.

Well, if people choose to ask about such matters on the net...
  • Options
    myviewmyview Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well,

this country has no morals or understanding at all about any type of situation. The police and CPS are corrupted (work hand in hand together) and they will try to corrupt you in any way possible and taking it to the extreme for whatever the reason even if it is petty.

been through it myself. And im a cultured, well educated, professional man who has strong morals, ethics and beliefs (before the country turned for the worst...)

example: my family suffered racist abuse. Couldnt do anything about it. Had people throw stones and bricks through the window.
    my father (may he rest in peace), couldnt do anything about it as not only was he disabled but obviously he would get injured etc...

he got assaulted.
    he tried to defend himself

what happened? police put my father under arrest etc....

so tell me. how is this protecting victims? its not. and PLEASE dont even think to say "its a red herring" - its NOT. happens ALL the time, unless you are a "sexy hot chick"... then the world is your oyster.

FACT.

as for your situation. he could complain, you can be arrested regardless of your calibre/character and upbringing (even with a clean record).

why? because CPS want statistics up to show "ah, we are awesome".
    I personally also suffered ALOT of problems a few years ago. still doesnt make sense to this day at all and has caused serious knock on effects. What can you do? nothing but suffer until you die.

yes, its a fact. you dont realise it until you go through it.
This discussion has been closed.