What is going on at Naughty Dog????

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems that as of the last year or so, about half a dozen key members of Naughty Dog have left their posts and gone elsewhwere. They were all involved in serious positions during Uncharted 2 & 3 and The Last of Us.

Today, two senior game designers and lead programmers, left to join Infinity Ward...the post-MW2 exodus staff, of course. Most notable person before today to leave, was Amy Hennig.

You would think that a studio such as Naughty Dog, who has created some absolute gems and games that have pretty much given Sony's best games ever, would be there for a long time.

I don't know what is going and I hope it is personal (such as salary or moving on) rather than internal feuds, because their quality of games is so good and it would really be a shame if future releases were affected.

...On the plus side, a senior Bungie developer did join Naughty Dog. But that's one person.

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why someone would want to leave Naughty Dog, a company which creates a variety of games and go to Infinity Ward, where they are going to be carbon copies of the same game repeatedly is beyond me.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Why someone would want to leave Naughty Dog, a company which creates a variety of games and go to Infinity Ward, where they are going to be carbon copies of the same game repeatedly is beyond me.

Money....
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »
    Money....

It has to be this.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    Money....
    Yuffie wrote: »
    It has to be this.

Sure no money is worth that?! :p
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Are we bringing this meme here now? Nice. I blame DRUCKMANNNN!!!!

Seriously though, people are just more focused on Naughty Dog because of what a big name they have become, people moving around after major projects is nothing new, The Last of Us team are well over their project now so naturally the staff and contracted workers are switching around. The ONLY suspicious one is the case of Amy Henning, who's been at the company for years and the somewhat reboot of Uncharted 4, which apparently wasn't up to standard.

Everything else though, it's just normal, happened at the end of the PS1 era and again at the PS2 era, hit harder at the PS2 era actually as both Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin left the company, as well as closing contracts with long term composer Josh Mancell (who worked on all Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter games).
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »

Money and a chance to revive one of the if not the biggest console franchises.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money and a chance to revive one of the if not the biggest console franchises.

not even Frankenstein could revive that franchise :D
    Forum Member

Wait, wasn't Frankie the one that was been revived?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I think they only way they could do it is rehire the old IW. That obviously wont happen and I cant see COD recovering myself. The difference between MW1+2 and 3 alone shows the talent that was lost. Mw3 so many problems, such a shambles. Same with Ghosts 10 entrances to every room etc. I stopped playing after a week and havnt missed it at all.

If I had MW or MW2 I would boot it up though.

Anyway back on topic. Yea wont be revived.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no mate. Victor Frankenstein created a monster and brought it to life.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, Victor Frankenstein was the scientist.
    Forum Member
    CoD is like the Transformers films.

It doesn't matter how crap it is, how crap the last one was, it doesn't matter how many people say that theyll never spend money on it again: but it will make shit loads of money, so why bother reviving these franchises. These companies are only out to mmake money and they're doing that.

Oh and it seems my Frankenstein knowledge isn't up to scratch :(
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the folk leaving Offered nothing new and stale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoD is like the Transformers films.

It doesn't matter how crap it is, how crap the last one was, it doesn't matter how many people say that theyll never spend money on it again: but it will make shit loads of money, so why bother reviving these franchises. These companies are only out to mmake money and they're doing that.

Oh and it seems my Frankenstein knowledge isn't up to scratch :(

I don't think it will. People have stopped buying games they are not happy with. Sure the same few mugs throw their money away every year at shit games and then complain when its shit failing to realise that the purchase is going to encourage the next one the following year. Look at the WWE games there hasn't been a decent one of them in about 10 years, yet every year the thread pops up and its the same people and the complaints are the same. But not everybody is like that.

To prove people stop buying games look no further than PES V FIFA. As somebody who bought the very first FIFA on mega drive I quickly learned that PES was far superior. There was a time when you would be openly laughed at if you admitted to playing FIFA. And why would you play it? FIFA was terrible, you could literally play the game by just pressing shoot and you would win. But we all know how that changed. And I would go as far as to day if PES got their act together people would jump back.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Personally I think they only way they could do it is rehire the old IW. That obviously wont happen

Tend to agree, but you never know. IW in its earliest guise, IW in all but name, started life on the Medal of Honour series which was EA, before leaving to join Activision to develop the 'MOH Killer' (they literally called it that during development) Call of Duty. Now they're back at the EA.

Granted, the implosion at IW that saw all the old IW guys move to Respawn was somewhat 'acrimonious', but stranger things have happened.
    I cant see COD recovering myself. The difference between MW1+2 and 3 alone shows the talent that was lost. Mw3 so many problems, such a shambles. Same with Ghosts 10 entrances to every room etc. I stopped playing after a week and havnt missed it at all.

Bizarrely, looking back now, MW3 seems like a masterpiece compared to BlOps2 and Ghosts.

The franchise needs to stop looking at what everyone else is doing and trying to steal their thunder and instead concentrate on their own game, which at the moment, frankly, is in the toilet. Look at all the hype and coverage that Titanfall got around release, and now all three arms of the CoD franchise are ploughing the 'future/advanced' warfare furrow. FFS why do we need all three teams knocking out the same sh1t? From a variety aspect, and to keep things shaken up, why not have one team doing a historical warfare game, one a modern warfare game, and the other doing advanced warfare?

That would at least be a start. Next, load up the maps from MW1, MW2 and BlOPs1 (incl DLC) to see how maps should be constructed. I'm sick to death of seeing rubble/garbage-strewn rat-runs that offer ample opportunity for head-glitchers. Equally, enough with the rooms with 20 different ways to get into them - No, I don't want to be fooking running around a map non-stop throughout the game. Funnily enough, if I've got a sniper rifle I don't want to have to 'run and gun' - it's bad enough when the quickscopers run with that play, at least that's their thing though - don't force everyone else to do it!

Finally, ditch the fooking mass of perks and attachments. Too many. Overkill. And completely unbalanced.

I feel sorry for Naughty Dog, they make fantastic games. IW's gain, they obviously need to do something before they screw up CoD beyond repair, if they haven't already.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nate Wells (lead artist) has reportedly returned to Naughty Dog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nate Wells (lead artist) has reportedly returned to Naughty Dog.

With his .................. tail between his legs?