Options

People still aren't warming to Capaldi? Questions

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Then how are they going to feel when Clara leaves? I've always wondered this. If Clara leaves this Christmas, and people still aren't used to Capaldi, that means they have to get used to Capaldi, as well as a new companion. It would be like watching a different show.

Also, another question, why aren't people warming to Capaldi? Is it the accent? The age? I agree that I didn't warm to him until I watched the "Time Heist" leak (must watch episode). But I am curious to know what it is about him that people just don't seem to adjust to.

Final questions, what are the older viewers' response to him? Positive? Negative? Don't really care? And what was everyone's reactions to Tennant and Smith, being younger incarnations?

Comments

• Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, my Doctor was Jon Pertwee and I really love Peter Capaldi in the role. Although I liked David and Matt, I did feel all the Geronimo and Allons-y stuff had got a bit silly, so John Hurt was like a breath of fresh air. (Love the line about assemlbling a cabinet with the sonic screwdrivers!)

I think Peter's brilliant. At times, he was the most scary thing in tonight's episode. His manner of barking orders reminds me a bit of the Third Doctor, so I feel quite nostalgic watching him. Perfect casting!
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Then how are they going to feel when Clara leaves? I've always wondered this. If Clara leaves this Christmas, and people still aren't used to Capaldi, that means they have to get used to Capaldi, as well as a new companion. It would be like watching a different show.

Also, another question, why aren't people warming to Capaldi? Is it the accent? The age? I agree that I didn't warm to him until I watched the "Time Heist" leak (must watch episode). But I am curious to know what it is about him that people just don't seem to adjust to.

Final questions, what are the older viewers' response to him? Positive? Negative? Don't really care? And what was everyone's reactions to Tennant and Smith, being younger incarnations?

Who's not warming to him?

He's Scottish, he doesn't eat vegetables (Just quoting Hoody), he's the wrong person to stand next to if you want to get warm.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the hair, yeesh. With the exception of Eccleston, the Doctor always had fantastic hair. This Frank Skinner look is not working for me.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who isn't warming to him?

Not sure why you've specified older viewers, but anyway....

I'm ancient, and I'm very warm about Capaldi. Though not as warm as I was about Tennant, admittedly, but he was exceptionally heat inducing, imo. Matt was also like a hot toddy on a cold night.

Lest you should misunderstand, I also warm to Clara, and will miss her when she goes (Christmas or not) but will, as always, very quickly adapt to the new companion and the new relationship with the Doctor.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watch 'cos of Clara. Peter Who?
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Well, my Doctor was Jon Pertwee and I really love Peter Capaldi in the role. Although I liked David and Matt, I did feel all the Geronimo and Allons-y stuff had got a bit silly, so John Hurt was like a breath of fresh air. (Love the line about assemlbling a cabinet with the sonic screwdrivers!)

I think Peter's brilliant. At times, he was the most scary thing in tonight's episode. His manner of barking orders reminds me a bit of the Third Doctor, so I feel quite nostalgic watching him. Perfect casting!

This.

But I go back earlier than you - to the very first episode in fact.
    Peter is VERY reminiscent of earlier Doctors to me - and as these are the Doctors that Peter himself watched as a boy, it is hardly surprising.

I think a lot of those who are not 'taking' to him are more recent viewers and are used to younger, prettier faces in the role, and also missing all the juvenile stuff that Tennant and (mostly) Smith got up to, which I found wearisome in the extreme - in fact, I switched off quite a few of the Smith episodes before the end as I found him annoying and distracting to watch.

Good. It has been a long time coming, but we are getting back to what the Doctor should be.
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problems warming to Peter in the grop I watched with:

4 'oldies'
    20 year old university student
    16 year old
    14 year old
    12 year old
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watch 'cos of Clara. Peter Who?

Love it :p
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    He had me at 'kidneys'
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like him, and would be quite happy for there not to be a companion for a while.

I have been a Dr Who watcher since the programme began.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    It's the hair, yeesh. With the exception of Eccleston, the Doctor always had fantastic hair. This Frank Skinner look is not working for me.

Really ??? ALL of them had 'fantastic hair??'
    Lovely man, but I can't recall Sylvester McCoy getting much praise for his hair ....

Or are you only referring to NuWho, as you only seem to be going as far back as Eccleston?
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of this is surely down to what he is working with.

For a start the tone of the show is changing which will influence people..but hopefully where its going will pay dividends.

My wife has been waxing on about him being too old, sat through tonight's ep without saying a word then had a 180 degree turnaround.

Give him the right material and he'll be fine.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Really ??? ALL of them had 'fantastic hair??'
    Lovely man, but I can't recall Sylvester McCoy getting much praise for his hair ....

Or are you only referring to NuWho, as you only seem to be going as far back as Eccleston?

Actually, I was thinking of Hartnell, Pertwee, T. Baker, C. Baker and McGann in particular.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I'm loving Capaldi - I think it is a brilliant performance and oddly, even though on face value he seems harder I actually think he is the most vulnerable Doctor we've had for decades - possibly ever and not in the 'emo' the girl I 'love' can't be with me any more way.

I warmed quickly to David Tennant and especially Matt Smith as well so I really don't think it is anything to do with age.

That said, i'm 43 and watched since I was a toddler, so have gone loads of regeneration and never found it an issue - not even with my first one which was Tom Baker to Peter Davison!
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only me personally I don't like his vision of the doctor there's no connection. if its only a small number feel like this it will be fine. I've loved all the doctors since 2005 but if a wider number feel the same that might pose a problem down the road.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I like him.

Though I am embaressed to say, and don't hound me for it, but watched tonights episode with subtitles and it was a lot more comfortable for me. Sometimes I just don't know what he is saying .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I'm loving Capaldi - I think it is a brilliant performance and oddly, even though on face value he seems harder I actually think he is the most vulnerable Doctor we've had for decades - possibly ever and not in the 'emo' the girl I 'love' can't be with me any more way.

This ^
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved him from the start but with tonight's episode I've finally been able to differentiate him from 'Malcolm Tucker' and really seen him fit into the age.

I would old age is an important thing to take into consideration when casting the Doctor as, IMO, the character just works better as an old man, but at the same, Matt Smith is the youngest Doctor so far and I think he was brilliant.
  • Options
    David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    The moment he had that fight with the spoon I shouted that's the Doctor
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    You don't have to warm to them but you come to accept them in the role, I'm 58 and have watched them all and think Peter Capaldi is doing just fine, the Doctor can be anyone, you just have to accept that and appreciate what they bring to the role, yup even Colin Baker.
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like him, no idea why, can't work,it out, doesn't feel like the doctor to me, it could be how horrid the episodes are
    I found him raving on about Clara wearing make up and her eyes being big very odd, can't remember any other doctor being so unable to relate to humans. If he looked like a Klingon those comments would be ok

Other than that it could be the writing, he's just not the doctor to me yet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I think Capaldi brings a depth to the role that we haven't had for a while. Both Smith and Tennant were good actors and I enjoyed their portrayals, but I always felt (as a long term fan) that they were too young for the role.(If I look back, I think that Peter Davison was also too young - even though I really liked him as a Doctor).
    What Capaldi brings is a certain range and Gravitas to the role that has been missing for quite a while. I think that Eccleston had it, but didn't stay long enough for us to find out how good he could have been - and John Hurt in that single cameo had it. We hadn't really seen that in any of the Doctors since Tom Baker.
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    About past Doctors having "fantastic hair"...
    ea91 wrote: »
    Actually, I was thinking of Hartnell, Pertwee, T. Baker, C. Baker and McGann in particular.

At least two of those were wearing wigs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About past Doctors having "fantastic hair"...

At least two of those were wearing wigs.

McCoys' wig in his first episode was the best .....
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Capaldi is possibly the best actor in the role. Although I will defend Tom Baker against anyone who says he wasn't a good actor.
    Possibly a problem is I am too familiar with Peter Capaldi. Most of the others who played the role I knew first from Dr Who.
    Christopher Eccleston was well known before the program as well, but I was just happy it came back and it could have been Timmy Mallet or anyone playing the role.