U.S Shows you got into later on

1235»

Comments

• rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I didn't have HBO at the time of Six Feet Under. But a year or two after it aired it was bought by Bravo TV which back then aired shows and movies pertaining to performing arts, culture and independent films as well as highly rated lesser known series and Six Feet Under was one of them. For my 16th birthday I ordered myself the box set and I do not regret it one big. I lament the fact that if Bravo aired their episodes of Six Feet Under two years later I would have never watched it considering they were changing target audiences from upscale families to pop culture with several interior design shows, five Real Housewives and their associated spinoffs and simply put Six Feet Unders target demographic is not current day Bravos.

The last show I started after it was already in progress was Homeland. I did not watch the first season at all and missed half of the seasoned. I went back OnDemand and was hooked.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just begun watching West Wing and Mad Men. I'll see if I manage to watch all the seasons, but so far I've enjoyed both series.
  • City2000City2000 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    There is a long list of shows that I never cared about watching when they first aired but got into later on. The two that spring to mind immediately are The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, I only came to watching them because Virgin Media made them available on demand so I thought I'd give them a go and I'm sure glad I did. For a while I actually preferred Six Feet Under but after finishing both shows whilst they were both excellent The Sopranos is the one I really want to watch again at some point.

There are a number of other shows as well like The Wire, 24, The West Wing, Arrested Development, Big Bang Theory and Prison Break that I got into long after they started airing.

Most of those shows I missed originally because I didn't know where to look at the time and ended up missing episodes or whole series but It's quite interesting that these days my viewing habits have changed totally with box sets and on demand to the point that because of time constraints I barely watch any live TV any more other than sport. So, unless there is a heavily hyped show (like Homeland) or a show I really like the sound of (like The Americans) I won't bother with it until a few seasons in so I can see the reaction to it before deciding whether to watch it. I also hate getting into a show only for it to be cancelled, like Flashforward.

Other than shows I'm still working through like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Entourage I've got another long list of shows I want to watch at some point in the future but who knows when I'll get around to it. Shows like True Detective, American Horror Story, Oz, Mad Men, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Hell on Wheels, Parks and Recreation, Broadchurch. I really like the thought of having all these shows to watch in the future and with streaming services, dvd's and on demand it's great to just watch them at my own steady pace.
  • coreylanecoreylane Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    breaking bad
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brotherhood, Rescue Me & White Collar.

I have also yet to watch Californication.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's two in particular that stand out for me, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Frasier.

I used to enjoy the original Star Trek, but didn't watch TNG at first as I thought it would be cheesy (which it kind of was for the first season or so) , but then I started watching it when Picard was turned into a Borg (which was a bit confusing for me) and really got into it.

It's similar with Frasier as I was a big fan of Cheers, but I didn't think that a spin off featuring the least funny character would be any good, so I didn't start watching it until the second season or so. Of course I couldn't have been more wrong and it's now my all time favourite comedy show.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started Fringe earlier this week. Up to episode four. So far I can see how it got it's likening to X-Files with its 'case-of-the-week' stories. But having read other people's comments I'm led to believe it gets better.
    Is that true? Or shall I just pack it in now?