BBM for Android and IOS Free? I feel robbed.

13»

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea why people are scrambling to get this app anyway, the Blackberry platform is dying and the userbase is getting smaller all the time. There are already plenty of alternatives for messaging on IOS / Android.

Having all these different messenger apps running is crazy.

It might have been handy to have cross platform a few years ago but like you say the user base has gone to other platforms plus there are a whole load of other apps that do pretty much the same thing.

Here is BBM's Twitter page for anyone interested in updates:

https://twitter.com/bbm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    It might have been handy to have cross platform a few years ago but like you say the user base has gone to other platforms plus there are a whole load of other apps that do pretty much the same thing.

Here is BBM's Twitter page for anyone interested in updates:

https://twitter.com/bbm

Yep. And that's why 1.1 million people downloaded a leak. There's something about it they like!
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. And that's why 1.1 million people downloaded a leak. There's something about it they like!

It’s what I call curiosity not that anybody actually wants to use it.
  • chriskeenschriskeens Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    It’s what I call curiosity not that anybody actually wants to use it.

i agree, 1.1 million a tiny amount compared to the 60m official bbm users or the 160m whatsapp user base. I suspect most of the 1.1m downloads will be curiosity or people who just want to be able to say they have the app.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in fairness the 1.1 million also represents those who actively sought out an APK before it was officially released.... the likely numbers downloading it from the Play Store will be much higher...
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Yeah Android still has got to learn some stuff like iOS most of it is related to App Store. App approval/monitoring and Tablet applications. While iOS seems to have learnt from Android It clearly shows having two good OS makes for learning for both.
    Google set up of the Play store is actually fine, there's nothing to "learn" there. The issue is with lazy app makers not updating or tailoring their apps to suit the greater variety of devices on android devices.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google set up of the Play store is actually fine, there's nothing to "learn" there. The issue is with lazy app makers not updating or tailoring their apps to suit the greater variety of devices on android devices.

No it not first there should be a dedicated tablet apps section would be extremely useful so you know if it will be optimized correctly one of my big problems about android tablets is apps. Two there needs be some sort of proper approval process look at all the fake BBM apps that got through.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need for a tablet section. Vast majority of apps run fine on tablets. Those that don't support tablets won't show up when you browse the play store on your device..
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    No need for a tablet section. Vast majority of apps run fine on tablets. Those that don't support tablets won't show up when you browse the play store on your device..
    Plus, unlike iOS apps, Android apps can be programmed to scale for all the regular resolutions.

I think you need to apply common sense when installing apps; this goes Windows applications as well.