Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 68)

Comments

• Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

Citizen Khan isn't a successful sitcom by any stretch of the imagination. Other BBC1 sitcoms with similar ratings were axed.

yeah but the BBC need something Asian in their annual report so it meets that need if nothing else.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved The Mole - in fact it was something my entire family watched, which was rare.
    The presenter is available again now Deal Or No Deal is coming to an end.

Not restricted to presenting Glenn Hugill has been a busy man over the years! Didn't realise he was in Coronation Street at one time too - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401035/
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting scheduling decision by BBC1 - Question Time moves to 9 p.m. next Thursday
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Interesting scheduling decision by BBC1 - Question Time moves to 9 p.m. next Thursday

It's just a one off as the two Labour hopeful's take part in a leadership debate. I notice that Crimewatch is coming back for a new style format. It is the start of a new 4 week series starting Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah but the BBC need something Asian in their annual report so it meets that need if nothing else.

Well they have the Asian network and several Asian presenters and actors working for them. Isn't that enough?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Parliament starts overnight on BBC2 from Monday night ensuring a good sleep for viewers:o
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The presenter is available again now Deal Or No Deal is coming to an end.

He prefers developing shows now. I think he has a very hefty deal to do that with a production company.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It's just a one off as the two Labour hopeful's take part in a leadership debate. I notice that Crimewatch is coming back for a new style format. It is the start of a new 4 week series starting Monday.

And Question Time next Thursday is on BBC2 at 9pm in Scotland. BBC1 Scotland is showing Scotland's Game.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    I think The Mole, Night Fever and Fort Boyard would be good choices to bring back for C5's 20th.

The latter would probably be quite expensive to bring back just as a one-off though.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    YouView wrote: »
    That did as badly as I expected, putting a programme like that in a 10.30pm-11.30pm slot was a stupid thing to do, if they didn't have confidence in it going out at 9pm then it would fit an 8pm slot much better.
    Not sure it was even trailed, was it? I expect many assumed it was a repeat. Plus it had a painfully low lead-in from Borderline so had no chance of respectable numbers.

In more bad C5 scheduling news, Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away! will soon have a same-week repeat on Sundays at 9pm, with Most Shocking Moments pushed back to 10pm following an underwhelming start. That's going to end up costing Can't Pay on the first run you would think.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Not sure it was even trailed, was it? I expect many assumed it was a repeat. Plus it had a painfully low lead-in from Borderline so had no chance of respectable numbers.

In more bad C5 scheduling news, Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away! will soon have a same-week repeat on Sundays at 9pm, with Most Shocking Moments pushed back to 10pm following an underwhelming start. That's going to end up costing Can't Pay on the first run you would think.

BIB Hint, hint Ch5. you are above this sort of drivel now, and so clearly is the audience.
  • Options
    NakatomiNakatomi Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Mole, Night Fever and Fort Boyard would be good choices to bring back for C5's 20th.

The latter would probably be quite expensive to bring back just as a one-off though.

Fort Boyard is pretty cheap all things considered. Like Total Wipeout, all the countries in Europe use the same setup with a local crew and cast. The only thing you need to set up is a location producer and your presenter and contestants.

I think it's cheaper than a lot of new format gameshows are these days. I know some countries convert the gold coins at the end into cash, some into prizes and what have you depending on the country.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Rookies got 2m (10.2%) which is obviously very poor, but is up nearly 50% on last week.

not shown in Wales until 11.15pm and next week its at 10.40
  • Options
    YouViewYouView Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jeez, some strange decisions lately.

I notice that in a couple of weeks when Borderline has finished they are moving The Hotel Inspector forward to 10pm. If that's really where they wanted it to go they should have just waited until the slot was available, rather than rushing it out in a bad slot with no promotion. It's not rocket science!
  • Options
    Aaron_2015Aaron_2015 Posts: 3,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YouView wrote: »
    Jeez, some strange decisions lately.

I notice that in a couple of weeks when Borderline has finished they are moving The Hotel Inspector forward to 10pm. If that's really where they wanted it to go they should have just waited until the slot was available, rather than rushing it out in a bad slot with no promotion. It's not rocket science!

The Hotel Inspector Returns must be the cheapest show 5 make. The first 45 minutes are an edited version of the original show, and the final 15 minutes are the actual visit. It must take no longer than half a day to film each episode, which is probably why it ends up being mistreated.

A better format would be 15 minutes from the first show, then 30 minutes of how things carried on without Alex, then the final 15 minutes with Alex showing up. A format like that would work in the 9PM slot.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Ray, was wondering if you have any ratings from the week Diana died? Tribute programmes, news, funeral, etc?

10m again for Bake Off?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodbye News at Ten? (again!)

Kevin Lygo keen to move ITV News
    Kevin Lygo has an ambition to push back ITV’s main nightly news bulletin to free up significant space in its schedule.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/kevin-lygo-keen-to-move-itv-news/5108925.article
  • Options
    Aaron_2015Aaron_2015 Posts: 3,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kevin Lygo has an ambition to push back ITV’s main nightly news bulletin to free up significant space in its schedule.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/kevin-lygo-keen-to-move-itv-news/5108925.article

Can you copy and paste the article please for those who don't subscribe?
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's unclear from that blurb if he means 6.30 or 10, presumably the latter. In which case, 11pm to allow for free space nightly between 10-11?

NAT on ITV hasn't ever really taken off but Tom Bradby won't be pleased will he? Also they need stuff to fill the space with!

Damn Broadcast's pay-wall.
  • Options
    NakatomiNakatomi Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    It's unclear from that blurb if he means 6.30 or 10, presumably the latter. In which case, 11pm to allow for free space nightly between 10-11?

NAT on ITV hasn't ever really taken off but Tom Bradby won't be pleased will he? Also they need stuff to fill the space with!

I expect the reasoning will be the same as when they first did it, so that they can show more films, 90 minute dramas etc. But they won't, they'll just stick a repeat or something at 10pm after a few months. I just don't get why they can't be flexible, BBC manages to move the news to 10:30 if they're showing a 90 minute drama sometimes, why can't ITV do the same? I don't get why ITV bothers with a 30 minute newscast to be honest, they could just do 5 minutes of regional and 5 minutes of national late at night.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »

10.30pm is the suggestion, to allow for 30 minute shows at 10pm. Although it then says it might be done more on an ad-hoc basis than a permenant move. Also hints that they've commissioned an entertainment series for early next year that could compromise the news scheduling.
    Use the Google workaround to read the article.
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    GBBO: 10.14m (45.1%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it Mr Whittingdale who wanted the BBC to move their news from ten because it was unfair to ITV ? Looks like ITV have thrown in the towel.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaron_2015 wrote: »
    Can you copy and paste the article please for those who don't subscribe?

Here's the first part

Senior sources at the broadcaster have revealed that since taking up the post, the new director of television has been assessing ways in which he can “fundamentally change the architecture of the channel”.

One measure, a sixth weekly episode of Coronation Street, has already been announced, and Lygo is understood to be assessing the impact of switching ITV News At Ten to 10.30pm.

Freeing up the 10pm slot would give ITV an additional half-hour of potentially lucrative primetime programming.

The move would allow ITV to play 90-minute programmes from 9pm, such as high-end drama, or use the half-hour slot at 10pm to air reality, comedy, chat shows or panel shows.

It is understood that Lygo has conceived the strategy as a way of offering an obvious alternative to BBC1’s own News At Ten bulletin that could attract viewers seeking entertainment at that time.

All parts of the ITV schedule were closely scrutinised following Lygo’s appointment, and it may be that pushing back the news is done on an ad hoc basis rather than as a permanent fixture.

The 10pm bulletin is moved for I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!, for example, and is being pushed back this week by 90-minute crime investigation The Murder Of Sadie Hartley (1 September).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If ITV reduced the amount of soaps and actually had programmes that attracted a much wider range of demographics, like they used to, then NAT would be perfectly fine where it is because viewers would already have been watching what was on previously.

Very often on ITV you have soaps right until 9pm. Now, I'm not for one moment saying they shouldn't have soaps at all, but soaps dominate the channel totally. Of an evening to sit down and watch soap, after soap, after soap, is mind numbingly depressing. I stopped watching ITV simply because my partner was obsessed with soaps. It would be Home and Away, Neighbours, Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, EastEnders, Emmerdale again, Coronation Street when EastEnders wasn't on and then the soaps that clashed would be watched one after the after as one would be recorded! It actually made me angry. People would say to me "did you watch so and so?" I'd say "No. Don't get chance to watch anything as it's soaps only in my house!" Come 9pm, I was so fed up with the soaps, the TV either went off or I put BBC1 on to actually see something different!

That's the reason ITV is struggling at 10pm. It has nothing at all to entice non soap fans and by the time you have a free hour at 9pm on ITV, most people have sat watching BBC1 and are settling down to their 9pm offering. BBC1 might have more factual programmes, but at least they're varied. There is something before and after soaps on BBC1 during the week. That is the key difference and that is why BBC1 does better than ITV. And now ITV are addressing the problem with introducing even more soap!
This discussion has been closed.