Is Cbeebies staying on com8 after the Olympics?

dom5491dom5491 Posts: 129
Forum Member
Is Cbeebies staying on com8 after the Olympics or is it only temporary? I think it is but I would just like someone to confirm this.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From reading this
    After the Olympics period, we’ll be returning things back to normal – whilst CBeebies HD and BBC Four HD will also be moving to a different slot of broadcast capacity from where they are now, and so may require a retune, for the majority there should be no material impact from the current Freeview reception of these channels. See the Freeview paragraph below on retuning your TV or box to get the latest updates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/ae61c0a5-ad0b-4d57-a693-3ef9d90e3403

it does sound like BBC4 HD and Cbeebies HD will be taking up residence on Com 8 post Olympics.
  • dom5491dom5491 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    From reading this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/ae61c0a5-ad0b-4d57-a693-3ef9d90e3403

it does sound like BBC4 HD and Cbeebies HD will be taking up residence on Com 8 post Olympics.

Both channels are being gradually phased out from the looks of it?

I suspect the next step will be an announcement that they will only be available online in future.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Both channels are being gradually phased out from the looks of it?

I suspect the next step will be an announcement that they will only be available online in future.
    Only the HD versions of the channels are affected by all this shuffling about between muxes. The SD versions of the channels are completely unaffected and continue as normal.

So if/when COM7/8 muxes vanish all that will go are the HD versions if there hasn't been a change to any of the other muxes to convert them to DVB-T2 mode to free up bandwidth to accommodate them elsewhere.

I seriously doubt either channel will be taken off the air anytime soon.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note that the EPG entries on the 'old' versions of CBBC HD and BBC Four HD state '[channel] has moved for the Olympics' whilst CBeebies HD just says 'CBeebies HD has moved' which suggests the CBeebies move to COM8 is permanent, and that it'll be joined there by Four after the Games with CBBC HD going back to BBCB. Good news for me, as it goes - as I've pointed out elsewhere, my current set-up can get BBCB and COM8 but not COM7, so I won't have to watch as much QVC Beauty from now on... ☺
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this will open up com8 to be used by more channels? Maybe stop the cramming on com7 that has been happening.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..... CBeebies HD just says 'CBeebies HD has moved' which suggests the CBeebies move to COM8 is permanent, and that it'll be joined there by Four after the Games with CBBC HD going back to BBCB.
    Since COM8 is only a temporary mux, it will have to move again at some stage.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    dom5491 wrote: »
    Is Cbeebies staying on com8 after the Olympics?

Apparently not! :o
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I can see both BBC4 HD and C Beebies HD have moved back to COM 7 on a time share basis. There is still a listing for C Beebies HD on COM 8 with a static caption advising that C Beebies HD has moved and to retune. Also please note that SD channels, The Craft Channel and 5Star+1 have been added to COM 8. It would have been nice if BBC4 had remained totally separate fron C Beebies to allow for expansion and an earlier start time
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    It would have been nice if BBC4 had remained totally separate fron C Beebies to allow for expansion and an earlier start time
    Yes, that would indeed be nice, however the disadvantage of this configuration on the BBC-A mux is that CBBC, CBeebies and BBC News were all broadcast in reduced resolution to accommodate it. Plus any extension in BBC Four's hours would have to go through various hoops in order to gain approval from the BBC Trust or whatever is replacing it.
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    I'm happy that I still have BBC4 HD. I would not be if it had chosen COM8, as that mux is unavailable from my communal aerial system.