One of Us, BBC1 Drama, from Tuesday 23/08 9pm

Comments

• Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    CABINET wrote: »
    Why did they have to push the Lexus so far to get it into the hole (which, as been pointed out, was not deep enough).

Presumably it was driven there so why not drive it as close as possible before heaving it in.

Don't expensive cars usually have trackers in case of theft as part of the conditions of their insurance?

That thought also crossed my mind.

I was also thinking that an upturned Lexus covered with a tarpaulin looks awfully like an upturned Lexus covered with a tarpaulin.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that sticks in my head is the phone call they made up the emergency services. Surely that's going to get traced eventually?
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »
    The character played by Steve Evets is an ignorant pig - chewing gum while interviewing grieving siblings and parents. I'd have slapped it out of his ugly mug.

I didn't think his character was very plausible at all. he's the older cop but seemed very naive and simplistic in his comments. Agree about the gum too.

Do we think Juliet Stevenson's character cutting her hand is significant?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That thought also crossed my mind.

I was also thinking that an upturned Lexus covered with a tarpaulin looks awfully like an upturned Lexus covered with a tarpaulin.

It just looked like an upturned car to me. You must be very clever at spotting car makes.
  • simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just put the dead body back in the crashed car and call the cops? Make it look like he died in the crash.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I didn't think his character was very plausible at all. he's the older cop but seemed very naive and simplistic in his comments. Agree about the gum too.

Do we think Juliet Stevenson's character cutting her hand is significant?

I can't take him seriously as I keep thinking of his character in Rev.

Her hand stopped bleeding amazingly quickly. She had a bad cut just before the police arrived but it was fine and bandaged up a few minutes later.
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    It just looked like an upturned car to me. You must be very clever at spotting car makes.

Well, an upturned SUV at any rate. Any decent copper might be wondering why you've got an upturned vehicle under a tarpaulin.
    simy wrote: »
    Why not just put the dead body back in the crashed car and call the cops? Make it look like he died in the crash.

They might wonder about the big gash in his throat?

And another thing - when they turned up at the farmhouse they introduce themselves as Detective X and Detective Y, and not as Detective-Inspector X and Detective-Sergeant Y.

I don't know why I'm nit-picking so much when I'm actually quite enjoying it!
  • JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to enjoy it but there are far too many characters!
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent most of the episode wondering whether they were the actress's own pair or whether wardrobe just lucked out big time! :-)

I read an interview with Joanna Vanderham where she said that she and Juliet Stevenson spent a lot of time moaning about the terrible jeans they had to wear:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-23/meet-one-of-us-star-joanna-vanderham-shes-had-an-emmy-nod-and-five-hit-tv-shows-at-25
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    One thing that sticks in my head is the phone call they made up the emergency services. Surely that's going to get traced eventually?

I was thinking that too, and they actually made two calls - the initial call for an ambulance and then a later one to cancel it. Surely even Police Scotland will find out about these eventually. You would think they would be looking for accident reports, hospital admissions etc in trying to trace the suspect and they know he was last seen in that area. Lucky for the families that the police haven't got a helicopter flying around looking for him, or their burial of the car might have been noticed.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I read an interview with Joanna Vanderham where she said that she and Juliet Stevenson spent a lot of time moaning about the terrible jeans they had to wear:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-23/meet-one-of-us-star-joanna-vanderham-shes-had-an-emmy-nod-and-five-hit-tv-shows-at-25

Fancy that!
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half way through and still so many secrets unfurling.

Whose was the knife that the mother found in the grate? How fresh was the blood on it? And what's Claire about to do with it?

Who was the red-headed guy who scored the drugs on the strip of card? Was it his sister who bagged herself a fix and thought she could fly? And do we know who the chap is who sold the red-headed guy the drugs in the pedestrian underpass?

Why isn't there occasional air surveillance on the farm? That way they'd have spotted the hole digging and the strange activities relating to an upturned car being pushed into it!

What is it about Jamie Douglas' past that seems to have distanced him from his mother?

Now that farm helper Alistair has asked for silence money will he be next in the hole?

Peter Elliot has clearly never told his partner about his first life. Why not and what else is he hiding?

So many questions that need answers. Roll on next Tuesday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SepangBlue wrote: »
    Who was the red-headed guy who scored the drugs on the strip of card? Was it his sister who bagged herself a fix and thought she could fly?
    Yes, we saw him telling her he was off on his camping "trip" earlier.
    And do we know who the chap is who sold the red-headed guy the drugs in the pedestrian underpass?
    He was the guy who was given some acid to sell by the guy who bought it from the female cop.

I thought the police detectives should have smelt a rat when Juliet Stevenson claimed that she and her family had spent all morning watching news reports on the telly, given that they had all just looked at the photo of the suspect and said they didn't recognise him and none of them had mentioned seeing the photo on the tv news!

Have they said exactly what the operation is that the female cop's daughter needs? It seems a bit fishy to me that she said the only surgeons who can do it are in America and India, so they are going to India for it - could she be lying about America, and it is some dodgy experimental surgery which is only done in India because of lack of regulation? I would have thought that if it was all above-board, the NHS would be sending surgeons over to India (or the US) to learn how to do it, or bringing the Indian surgeon over to demonstrate it to them?
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Yes, we saw him telling her he was off on his camping "trip" earlier.
    He was the guy who was given some acid to sell by the guy who bought it from the female cop.

I thought the police detectives should have smelt a rat when Juliet Stevenson claimed that she and her family had spent all morning watching news reports on the telly, given that they had all just looked at the photo of the suspect and said they didn't recognise him and none of them had mentioned seeing the photo on the tv news!

Have they said exactly what the operation is that the female cop's daughter needs? It seems a bit fishy to me that she said the only surgeons who can do it are in America and India, so they are going to India for it - could she be lying about America, and it is some dodgy experimental surgery which is only done in India because of lack of regulation? I would have thought that if it was all above-board, the NHS would be sending surgeons over to India (or the US) to learn how to do it, or bringing the Indian surgeon over to demonstrate it to them?

Organ transplant for money? What is the daughter's condition anyway - do we know?
  • seawitchseawitch Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ad E's girlfriend was talking on the phone about IVF. Are they trying for a family and he hasn't told her that he's had "the chop". Why did he keep quiet about his family/

All this makes me think that one of the children isn't his.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seawitch wrote: »
    Ad E's girlfriend was talking on the phone about IVF. Are they trying for a family and he hasn't told her that he's had "the chop". Why did he keep quiet about his family/

All this makes me think that one of the children isn't his.

:o I didn't know that! - Missed that bit.

He must have done something bad in the past as his ex can't stand him. I think he told his girlfriend that he left his family before meeting her. Even so, keeping them a secret is very odd.
  • seawitchseawitch Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vasectomy was just speculation on my part. But there was a telephone conversation about IVF.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if none of the children are his and they're all adopted?

A bit far fetched maybe?:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred The Missing though. It had a more intriguing plot and the DS thread was packed with different theories. I used to enjoy coming here almost as much as watching the programme.
    This series hasn't grabbed me, and I can't feel any empathy for any of the characters. I'll continue watching just to see how everything pans out, but some bits are just too ridiculous for words.

The Missing had everyone guessing from the start. - What happened to the boy? Who took him? Why? The theories were endless with plenty of characters to chose from. I agree the thread was brilliant but the ending of the series was disappointing.

In this series there have been 3 murders with everyone being a possible suspect, but nothing else - no motives and very littles clues. I'll carry on watching until the end, though.
    Only two episodes left.:)
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    The missing was great coz it led us all up the garden path and then it turned out to be very simple with no real mystery from what I remember. The only mystery was the twists and turns of the way the story was written and unfolded.

I'm rightly or wrongly going to assume that this will be similar to the way the missing went so i'm just going to enjoy the ride and see what happens..

Agree with this.
  • Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the problem with The Missing was that it just went on too long, it's much better to get the whole thing done in four episodes if they can. My guess is the cancelled 999 call for an ambulance is what will trip them up. It's too big a plot hole to leave unfilled, the police just haven't got to it yet.

Similar problem with the excellent murder black comedy The Out-Laws on More 4. It's wickedly funny but we're on episode seven out of nine and it's crying out for a resolution.
  • middy789middy789 Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Probably turn out the murdered guy wasn't even the murderer.

I think you might be right.
  • middy789middy789 Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Some bits of the plot are ridiculous. Even if they were acting out of desperation and panic covering an overturned car with a tarpaulin and propping some farming junk was pathetic. It still looked like an overturned car. We couldn't stop laughing at that bit!
  • Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were stacking firewood to burn it but were overtaken by events?
  • tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SepangBlue wrote: »
    Half way through and still so many secrets unfurling.

Whose was the knife that the mother found in the grate? How fresh was the blood on it? And what's Claire about to do with it?

Who was the red-headed guy who scored the drugs on the strip of card? Was it his sister who bagged herself a fix and thought she could fly? And do we know who the chap is who sold the red-headed guy the drugs in the pedestrian underpass?

Why isn't there occasional air surveillance on the farm? That way they'd have spotted the hole digging and the strange activities relating to an upturned car being pushed into it!

What is it about Jamie Douglas' past that seems to have distanced him from his mother?

Now that farm helper Alistair has asked for silence money will he be next in the hole?

Peter Elliot has clearly never told his partner about his first life. Why not and what else is he hiding?

So many questions that need answers. Roll on next Tuesday!

That was explained when the Douglas' were have an argument in the kitchen - there was a comment about Jamie going into school with a shotgun for a laugh or to scare someone.

Mr Douglas has a shaky hand which is a secret from his wife, also revealed in that scene.

Clearly Ade E's character has something to do with it, as Adam's voicemail sounded very scared/worried and then Ade's character took off for the highlands. I was thinking that the daughter was working in Edinburgh but I can't see her driving all the way down their for a shift from the sat nav map in Ade's car! More likely Inverness....