Joe Wicks: The Body Coach

Comments

• NakatomiNakatomi Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By your logic kids could just carry on eating junk, fast food and fizzy drinks at the rate they are doing so today and just be more active and they wouldn't be as overweight and obsese as they are. That is not true. Being active does not counterbalance the amount of crap kids and adults are consuming these days.

You seem to have a bit of a grudge or something here. Kids eat only slightly worse today than they did 30 years ago (certainly most kids aren't allowed to drink the gallons of fizzy pop we did as kids!). I wouldn't say all kids are overweight or obese either, but you're a bit of a fat hater, so clearly you do.

I personally say let people be themselves.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Joe Wicks person is like the resultant offspring of a gruesome pairing between Jamie Oliver and Foghorn Leghorn.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nakatomi wrote: »
    You seem to have a bit of a grudge or something here. Kids eat only slightly worse today than they did 30 years ago (certainly most kids aren't allowed to drink the gallons of fizzy pop we did as kids!). I wouldn't say all kids are overweight or obese either, but you're a bit of a fat hater, so clearly you do.

I personally say let people be themselves.

I am a fat hater?:D Now who's the one projecting. Just because I am pointing out kids are more overweight today doesn't make me a fat hater. Kids are not eating slightly worse than they were 30 years ago. They are eating a lot worse. Ordering take away deliveries to their schools on their phones wasn't something kids did 30 years ago. I think you need to get your facts straight. Kids 30 years ago ate 1 snack a day. Today they are eating 3 snacks a day and even more in some cases.
  • NeioNeio Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GingerNut4 wrote: »
    I feel ashamed that I quite fancy him 😖

I think he's quite fanciable too... until he opens his mouth. All that Jamie Oliver 'bish bash bosh!' crap he comes out with is so annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a fat hater?:D Now who's the one projecting. Just because I am pointing out kids are more overweight today doesn't make me a fat hater. Kids are not eating slightly worse than they were 30 years ago. They are eating a lot worse. Ordering take away deliveries to their schools on their phones wasn't something kids did 30 years ago. I think you need to get your facts straight. Kids 30 years ago ate 1 snack a day. Today they are eating 3 snacks a day and even more in some cases.

And in what universe are they ordering takeaways to schools? Just because you read it in The Sun or The Daily Mail, doesn't make it true. I can tell you as someone who has actually worked as a teacher, it doesn't happen. Kids eat healthy at school and packed lunches are inspected. They're *very* on top of this nowadays, especially if there's a child with a dietary issue like a peanut allergy. And before you suggest I worked in some privileged area, I actually worked in one of the most deprived boroughs in the country. I'm not saying they don't eat some junk food at home, but not anywhere near the levels you're suggesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And in what universe are they ordering takeaways to schools? Just because you read it in The Sun or The Daily Mail, doesn't make it true. I can tell you as someone who has actually worked as a teacher, it doesn't happen. Kids eat healthy at school and packed lunches are inspected. They're *very* on top of this nowadays, especially if there's a child with a dietary issue like a peanut allergy. And before you suggest I worked in some privileged area, I actually worked in one of the most deprived boroughs in the country. I'm not saying they don't eat some junk food at home, but not anywhere near the levels you're suggesting.

I don't read the Sun. They showed it on the news. Maybe in your school they were more diligent but not in many deprived areas.
  • mark_beachmark_beach Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    They dont order takeaway at our local school
    They just go out at lunch time and end up at the chippy and most people avoid the local Sainsburys at lunch time because the kids decend on the hot food/ pizza counter

there is also a local butchers who has a massive shop who sells bulk packages of meat both cooked and fresh, fruit and veg it also has a bakery and cafe
    at lunch times you cant get stirred for the kids buying pies, pasteries and hot meat buns

they dont hve to order take out, they just walk to the grub

all three of my kids went to this school but they didnt get out on a lunch time till they were nearly 16 as it was a lot stricter then
  • DPSDPS Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the main reason. 30-40 years ago more people worked manual jobs - factories, mining etc. Women walked, cycled or got the bus to work, so they worked off fatty foods in that way. Kids didn't have as much homework or revision to do, most of which is now based on the internet, so they played out, whereas now kids are expected to spend at least 3 hours a night doing homework. That's why there's an obesity crisis, not because foods have suddenly got worse or because people are eating more of them.

While I agree that lack of exercise and a general decline in activity is certainly contributing to obesity, the lion's share of the blame lies with the sheer abundance and availability of fatty and sugary foods consumed these days. I'm old enough to remember what we ate and drank as children decades ago, and though much of it was unhealthy, we didn't have nearly as much as children do today. Or adults either, as people used to sit round a table and have a home cooked dinner, which was usually something fairly plain and simple. Takeaways were luxuries, not regular occurrences.

Both gaining weight and losing it are about the 70/30 rule - 70% diet, and 30% exercise. People simply exercising more and having jobs that involve a lot of physical labour won't result in a healthy stable weight if the diet is poor, or full of junk food. I'm a good example of that, I'm as active as I can be for weeks at a time - going to the gym, I walk or cycle everywhere, do plenty of gardening, and do extra exercise with friends. But I'm still overweight. And that's because I eat a lot of crisps and chocolate. It's my diet that's the main culprit and from experience, I can only lost weight when I change what I'm eating, I don't lose anything from exercise alone.

Diet is the more significant factor in obesity, more exercise by itself won't correct the problem. Especially once people are out of their twenties and thirties, and their metabolism slows down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just go out at lunch time and end up at the chippy and most people avoid the local Sainsburys at lunch time because the kids decend on the hot food/ pizza counter

there is also a local butchers who has a massive shop who sells bulk packages of meat both cooked and fresh, fruit and veg it also has a bakery and cafe
    at lunch times you cant get stirred for the kids buying pies, pasteries and hot meat buns

they dont hve to order take out, they just walk to the grub

all three of my kids went to this school but they didnt get out on a lunch time till they were nearly 16 as it was a lot stricter then

It's rare schools let kids out at dinner now unless they're in sixth form. Mainly because they're not insured for it and inevitably some kids won't come back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DPS wrote: »
    While I agree that lack of exercise and a general decline in activity is certainly contributing to obesity, the lion's share of the blame lies with the sheer abundance and availability of fatty and sugary foods consumed these days. I'm old enough to remember what we ate and drank as children decades ago, and though much of it was unhealthy, we didn't have nearly as much as children do today. Or adults either, as people used to sit round a table and have a home cooked dinner, which was usually something fairly plain and simple. Takeaways were luxuries, not regular occurrences.

Both gaining weight and losing it are about the 70/30 rule - 70% diet, and 30% exercise. People simply exercising more and having jobs that involve a lot of physical labour won't result in a healthy stable weight if the diet is poor, or full of junk food. I'm a good example of that, I'm as active as I can be for weeks at a time - going to the gym, I walk or cycle everywhere, do plenty of gardening, and do extra exercise with friends. But I'm still overweight. And that's because I eat a lot of crisps and chocolate. It's my diet that's the main culprit and from experience, I can only lost weight when I change what I'm eating, I don't lose anything from exercise alone.

Diet is the more significant factor in obesity, more exercise by itself won't correct the problem. Especially once people are out of their twenties and thirties, and their metabolism slows down.

I've been saying that for 2 days. You might as well be talking to the wall. They don't want to hear the obvious.
  • lomo123lomo123 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's down to change of lifestyle, when I was young, a long time ago!, we got a cereal breakfast, plate of soup at lunchtime, and a meat two veg style dinner at night.
    That was it. There wasn't variety packs of crisps or 2'litre bottles of fizzy juice in the house.
    The weekly treat was either a packet of plain crisps or a two finger kit Kat.
    We walked everywhere as well. My daughters think it's hilarious to hear stories of those times, but most people in my class were the same.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GingerNut4 wrote: »
    I feel ashamed that I quite fancy him 😖

GET OUT! :D
    I disagree. People are eating far too much these days. Especially fast food, ready meals and sugary foods compared to years ago when people cooked everything from scratch and mainly stuck to meat and 2 veg and one home made dessert.

About 60 years ago?
    got to the 90s and decided enough is enough and went to weight watchers lost a lot of weight but because of weight watchers I discovered ready meals, I loved the WW curry and hot pots as soon as I stopped WW I began to put weight on and I started to buy ordinary ready meals bought my wine from the supermarket and I put more weight on

Im still overweight but I dont eat ready meals, cook from scratch and dont drink alcohol, as I am now a lot older I dont lose weight as quick as I once did but I feel a lot healthier after Ive lost a few more pounds I will be a lot more content

I eat ready meals most days at work, but have Pepsi Max (zero calories) and while I could do with losing my belly, we get weighed at work each week, and I've gone 2-3lbs either side of the same weight since we started. I used to use My Fitness Pal, but I was eating the same stuff every week, doing the same gym exercises, so it was all in a cycle.
    BTW the first time I had a Mcdonalds was in the 90s, I didnt like them then I dont like them now

McDs is horrible. Burger King is yummy, though, but there isn't one nearby to me, so I don't bother. There used to be two, but McDs and Subway pushed them out.

I don't go to Subway because ordering their food makes me confused :D

That's similar to why everyone avoids the post office at lunchtime - full of bloody pensioners!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »

About 60 years ago?

No. In the 70's and 80's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not true at all. The 80s was the decade of frozen food. My brother, born in 78 remembers kids on the playground raving about potato waffles when they came out. By the end of the 80s, most people were buying frozen food and ready meals, very few people were cooking from scratch. I'd say that people cook more from scratch these days, actually, seeing as knowing where your food is coming from is the latest trend.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kids in the seventies lived on Ready Brek (with added sugar), Findus Crispy Pancakes, Vesta Beef Curry (dehydrated), Monster Munch, Tizer, Space Dust, Spam, Spangles and Angel Delight/Birds Custard & Jelly (also from a packet).

People ate absolute shit in the seventies, had no idea about nutrition and they all drank and smoked to excess. Compare and contrast to today - It's like a different planet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not true at all. The 80s was the decade of frozen food. My brother, born in 78 remembers kids on the playground raving about potato waffles when they came out. By the end of the 80s, most people were buying frozen food and ready meals, very few people were cooking from scratch. I'd say that people cook more from scratch these days, actually, seeing as knowing where your food is coming from is the latest trend.

I grew up in the 80's and there was always a home cooked meal on the table everyday. And I wasn't the exception. I am comparing it to today when people eat a lot of ready meals. Granted that has changed a little in the last couple of years because people are more aware of the huge amounts of added salt and sugars in these meals but they are still enormously popular with people who lead very busy lives these days and can't be arsed to prepare and cook meals from scratch. Plus takeaway and especially fast food delivery sites like Deliveroo and Hungry House were non existent in the 70's and 80s'.

Straker wrote: »
    Kids in the seventies lived on Ready Brek (with added sugar), Findus Crispy Pancakes, Vesta Beef Curry (dehydrated), Monster Munch, Tizer, Space Dust, Spam, Spangles and Angel Delight & Birds Custard (also from a packet).

People ate absolute shit in the seventies, had no idea about nutrition and they all drank and smoked to excess. Compare and contrast to today - It's like a different planet.

But all of these things weren't eaten to excess like they are today or as cheap and plentiful either. They still prepared and cooked meals from scratch unlike many households today.
  • thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually didn't hate the programme. Yeah the advice is obvious but sometimes having a different approach helps people stick to it. Emphasis on healthy easy recipes seems quite useful and he wasn't as irritating as the awful Hemsley sisters.

However, there was one slightly disingenuous aspect. The weight loss was all down to 'clean eating bish bash bosh' and his amazing insights into exercise......however in one sentence he swept over 'no junk food, fizzy drinks or booze.' My thinking is most people could keep their same diet, same exercise, cut out those 3 things and would see not dissimilar results...... I know I would :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in the 80's and there was always a home cooked meal on the table everyday. And I wasn't the exception. I am comparing it to today when people eat a lot of ready meals. Granted that has changed a little in the last couple of years because people are more aware of the huge amounts of added salt and sugars in these meals but they are still enormously popular with people who lead very busy lives these days and can't be arsed to prepare and cook meals from scratch. Plus takeaway and especially fast food delivery sites like Deliveroo and Hungry House were non existent in the 70's and 80s'.

But all of these things weren't eaten to excess like they are today or as cheap and plentiful either. They still prepared and cooked meals from scratch unlike many households today.

I think you're just projecting. You have no evidence that people eat worse nowadays (because they don't), just your own anecdotal evidence. Whereas there's actual studies where it proves we've become more overweight due to a combination of more office-based jobs, less manual labour, people not having the same kind of access to green spaces to exercise/play, people not using public transport the same PLUS nearly everything has been moved online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where do you get the notion that this doesn't happen today?

Knowledge of healthy eating was practically non-existent in the seventies and the most common-place imported foods in supermarkets today were exotic rarities back then. Kids were sent to school with crisp sandwiches for lunch made with bleached white processed sliced bread and a Marathon (Snickers) for afters. Adults smoked everywhere, in enclosed rooms/cars with children present and nobody said anything about it.

In terms of nutritional eating and awareness in general of how to live healthily the seventies and even the eighties were The Dark Ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Knowledge of healthy eating was practically non-existent in the seventies and the most common-place imported foods in supermarkets today were exotic rarities back then. Kids were sent to school with crisp sandwiches for lunch made with bleached white processed sliced bread and a Marathon (Snickers) for afters. Adults smoked everywhere, in enclosed rooms/cars with children present and nobody said anything about it.

In terms of nutritional eating and awareness in general of how to live healthily the seventies and even the eighties were The Dark Ages.

I'll never forget my grandma serving my vegetarian sister-in-law chicken because it's "not really meat if it's not red" and that was in the 90s! But it took her a while to catch on... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you're just projecting. You have no evidence that people eat worse nowadays (because they don't), just your own anecdotal evidence. Whereas there's actual studies where it proves we've become more overweight due to a combination of more office-based jobs, less manual labour, people not having the same kind of access to green spaces to exercise/play, people not using public transport the same PLUS nearly everything has been moved online.

Oh for goodness sake. You are just copying what I said to you. It's not anecdotal evidence. It is easily available online if you can even be bothered to check. Another poster today told you that the weight loss rule is 70% diet and 30% exercise. But you chose to ignore that. Stop arguing for the sake of it. I am not continuing with this discussion as it pointless talking to someone who is ignorant of the facts.

But people didn't eat excessively as they do today. There is a major obesity problem today whether you choose to believe it or now. You only have to see it walking around everyday. People aren't just fat, they are obese. Why do you think diabetes related amputations have reached a record high of 20 a day. There are 7,370 diabetes related amputations a year. And 80% of those are preventable if people improved their diets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But people didn't eat excessively as they do today. There is a major obesity problem today whether you choose to believe it or now. You only have to see it walking around everyday.

When I get new spark plugs for my time machine I'll take you back to Sheffield in the late seventies and you'll change your mind.

You seem to have a very rose-tinted view of the past as if everyone was slim and walked everywhere glowing with health. People were sickly, pale with awful diets, teeth and worst of all appalling haircuts and terrible nylon clothing! It was an unenlightened time where most things were concerned, not just food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I get new spark plugs for my time machine I'll take you back to Sheffield in the late seventies and you'll change your mind.

You seem to have a very rose-tinted view of the past as if everyone was slim and walked everywhere glowing with health. People were sickly, pale with awful diets, teeth and worst of all appalling haircuts and terrible nylon clothing! It was an unenlightened time where most things were concerned, not just food.

I don't have a rose tinted view at all. I just remember every household cooking more home made meals than they do today and not eating excessively. Everywhere I go these days there's people walking around eating muffins, wraps, crisps and drinking big coffees with added cream. Or giving their kids food to keep them quiet. It's never a piece of fruit, just some junk food. It's an epidemic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a rose tinted view at all. I just remember every household cooking more home made meals than they do today and not eating excessively. Everywhere I go these days there's people walking around eating muffins, wraps, crisps and drinking big coffees with added cream. Or giving their kids food to keep them quiet. It's never a piece of fruit, just some junk food. It's an epidemic.

You have it entirely back to front. People are far more aware and have far more healthy options these days than 40 years ago. How many people do you know who have Spam for dinner these days? None, that's how many but go back to the seventies and fried Spam and chips was a regular on dinner tables followed by tinned Sponge Pud and packet custard for afters. Hardly healthy eating was it?