Options

Can't Pay or We'll take it away (Series 4 Part 2)

Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone watching this its back for new episodes I find it interesting and sometimes when it cant be helped feel sorry for the people in debt as its usually the council's fault.

Comments

• Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really felt for the poor man evicted from his home of 6 years just because his greedy, grasping landlord decided to rent his bedsit/broom cupboard to someone desperate/stupid enough to pay triple the £1200 per month he was paying. Though I guess in both cases the council would pick up the tab. Why do they let these landlords get away with it?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'You're not taking anything, not while ive got a hole in my arse!' :D

£1200 a month for a room the size of an outside loo :eek:
  • Options
    PinkStar80PinkStar80 Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't believe anyone could charge £1200 for that room!!
  • Options
    kandi_kanekandi_kane Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    The first case tonight was interesting. Very refreshing to hear the debtor's brother acknowledge that the agents were just doing their job and also offer to pay a good chunk of the debt which is not even his.

I understand it was a frustrating situation but the dad and uncle really didn't need to start threatening violence. The dad also insinuated his son owed about 20k elsewhere so it may not have been the first or even last that family will see of bailiffs turning up there.

The polish family really annoyed me. Insisting they wanted £200 they'd paid the landlord recently when they owe him thousands in rent which he'll probably never get from them. Cheeky sods.

It's clear from this show that something needs to be done about rents in London. It's absurd for someone to pay £1200pcm for a room! That could get you a 2 or 3 bed house within commuting distance of London!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugger, didn't know this was back
  • Options
    john_smith115john_smith115 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    bugger, didn't know this was back

Same Jason.
    Though it will probably be repeated about 83 times so we will see it sometime.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    I really felt for the poor man evicted from his home of 6 years just because his greedy, grasping landlord decided to rent his bedsit/broom cupboard to someone desperate/stupid enough to pay triple the £1200 per month he was paying. Though I guess in both cases the council would pick up the tab. Why do they let these landlords get away with it?

Doubt that the existing rent will be £1200. More likely he is paying £400 and believes that the landlord wants to triple that.

For a single man the council might provide emergency accommodation (which could be a hostel) for a limited period but there is no way that he will get long term council accomodation.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching this its back for new episodes I find it interesting and sometimes when it cant be helped feel sorry for the people in debt as its usually the council's fault.

In what cases last night was it the council's fault?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't really. He had been given 5 months notice to leave and had decided to stay there, I'm not sure why he seemed so surprised that he was being evicted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kandi_kane wrote: »
    The first case tonight was interesting. Very refreshing to hear the debtor's brother acknowledge that the agents were just doing their job and also offer to pay a good chunk of the debt which is not even his.

I understand it was a frustrating situation but the dad and uncle really didn't need to start threatening violence. The dad also insinuated his son owed about 20k elsewhere so it may not have been the first or even last that family will see of bailiffs turning up there.

The polish family really annoyed me. Insisting they wanted £200 they'd paid the landlord recently when they owe him thousands in rent which he'll probably never get from them. Cheeky sods.

It's clear from this show that something needs to be done about rents in London. It's absurd for someone to pay £1200pcm for a room! That could get you a 2 or 3 bed house within commuting distance of London!

I'm not sure where in London it was, but there are plenty of places in London you can get a much nicer place for much less money.
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure where in London it was, but there are plenty of places in London you can get a much nicer place for much less money.

It was in Clapton, East London. Most of that area is a sh*thole. The Murder Mile, as its named!
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I do hope on those letters from the County Court that state the date they must leave by (that the debtor usually ignores hence the claimant upgrades it to the High Court) include a couple of lines informing them that if they don't leave on this date, and if the claimant does upgrade it to to High Court, High Court Enforcement Officers do have the uncontested legal right to show up without warning, peacefully enter your house, and evict you or claim your goods to satisfy the debt.

Would just be helpful when the guys are explaining it to also be able to refer to this text on the County Court letter these people attempt to wave around in their face to kick them out.
  • Options
    orson buggyorson buggy Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Charming couple on tonight.

£4000 to bury a human ?
    Yeah, but she was your Mum though.
  • Options
    Jedi_KnightJedi_Knight Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

£4000 to bury a human ?

It was a repeat of Wednesday's episode.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

£4000 to bury a human ?

They should check out Direct Cremation, it's less than half that amount!
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can't believe that people will allow themselves to be filmed in such a situation ... i presume they sign a permission clause, do they get paid ?

if it was me being doorstepped the first thing i'd tell them is "switch off the cameras!!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    can't believe that people will allow themselves to be filmed in such a situation ... i presume they sign a permission clause, do they get paid ?

if it was me being doorstepped the first thing i'd tell them is "switch off the cameras!!"

The law is extremely complex on this, suffice to say I'm sure Channel 5 have had legal advice.
  • Options
    panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »

If you have money problems and the bailiffs turn up with a tv crew who offer you some money to be in their show most people will take the money.
  • Options
    orson buggyorson buggy Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    The law is extremely complex on this, suffice to say I'm sure Channel 5 have had legal advice.

If you have no power to stop someone filming you in public with their mobile phone I don't see how you have the power to stop a Channel 5 TV crew filming you.

The balliff's personal cameras are a visual and audio account of their behaviour and the behaviour [ usually bad ] of the people being served the writ.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you have no power to stop someone filming you in public with their mobile phone I don't see how you have the power to stop a Channel 5 TV crew filming you.

The balliff's personal cameras are a visual and audio account of their behaviour and the behaviour [ usually bad ] of the people being served the writ.

It's different on private property, but it's not simply a case of it's illegal or it's legal.
  • Options
    eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ever consider that landlords may have a mortgage to pay against their properties and those who don't pay their rent put the landlord in a difficult position? There are some shocking landlords, but also a lot of very bad tenants.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kicking off already tonight.
    Seems to be the old "we've got a new slightly different company name so the debts not ours" case.
    Unfortunately for them they disclosed that they took over in June and that they knew nothing about the car sale the debt was for. Then it was checked and the sake happened in October. Now they're trying to drive all the stock away to stop things being seized! lol
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kicking off already tonight.
    Seems to be the old "we've got a new slightly different company name so the debts not ours" case.
    Unfortunately for them they disclosed that they took over in June and that they knew nothing about the car sale the debt was for. Then it was checked and the sake happened in October. Now they're trying to drive all the stock away to stop things being seized! lol

MPs really should be doing something to close this loophole, its been going for ages and nothing seems to get done about it.

The firms are often sold to a friend or relative.
  • Options
    CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I really don't get why programmes like this are so popular. In my opinion it is just pure negativity, and frankly once you've seen one case you've seen them all.

The show masquerades as social commentary, like many others in the genre, but really I think its main target audience is people who just enjoy watching aggro and aggression, not unlike Jeremy Kyle viewers in fact.
  • Options
    CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    The characters and level of professionalism of the agents seems to vary a lot.

Some seem reasonable and make an effort to calm the debtors and not needlessly inflame the situation. In contrast some are very obnoxious and arrogant and have a manner that just enrages the debtors even more.

That Scottish agent who is on the programme a lot seems a particularly arrogant and toxic individual, the whole way he conducts himself, including his mannerism and smug facial expressions is just thoroughly unpleasant and I'm not surprised many kick off with him.