Options

Can you touch type? Does it make you feel super human?

Comments

• Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup but I was taught at a young age so don't know anything different.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog. Yep. But I don't feel superhuman.

Type =rand(200,99) into Word and you get that bold text several times over.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Yes I can and yes I feel super human :) especially when people see me typing. People who "hunt and peck" around the keyboard are amazed when they see my speed.

Years ago I used to be able to type at 80 wpm plus but have just tested myself here

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

and I am only on 50 wpm but that is with no errors at all, which I'm pleased about.

Tried that got got 143wpm, but that was pretty slow for me :o If I know exactly what I'm writing and it's already in my mind, I'm probably at 180wpm. I write all day which is why I'm so fast.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, touch typing at 40wpm is a recently aquired superhuman skill.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hdkfgooewsjkgv;#,skjpo[ pds
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Tried that got got 143wpm, but that was pretty slow for me :o If I know exactly what I'm writing and it's already in my mind, I'm probably at 180wpm. I write all day which is why I'm so fast.

There's a big difference between copy typing and typing what's in your mind!

Just realised I am so superhuman that I missed a 0 off my score.;)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog. Yep. But I don't feel superhuman.

What about

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There's a big difference between copy typing and typing what's in your mind!

Just realised I am so superhuman that I missed a 0 off my score.;)

I did a test at a recruitment agency last week and my speed came back as 75wpm with no errors. I learnt to type at school 20 years ago, also on the old clonky type writers.

I don't feel superhuman but it is nice to have that speed when an urgent medical document needs to get sorted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    I can, I did an admin course after university that is the most useful qualification I have ever taken. It does make me feel slightly superhuman. I make a lot of noise typing, a real rattle and bang, which may subconciously be about attracting attention to my super speed.

I can also do shorthand. This has the same super human feel to it, when you are taking notes in a meeting or something.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh. I can type at 85wpm with no errors. I'm quite pleased with that, for someone who isn't actually touch-typing.
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    learnt to type many moons ago, but certainly don`t feel superhuman about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou-kate wrote: »
    I can, I did an admin course after university that is the most useful qualification I have ever taken. It does make me feel slightly superhuman. I make a lot of noise typing, a real rattle and bang, which may subconciously be about attracting attention to my super speed.

I can also do shorthand. This has the same super human feel to it, when you are taking notes in a meeting or something.:D

Pitman shorthand! The boats are in the bay!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    Pitman shorthand! The boats are in the bay!

I did t-line! I am not sure what the difference is, I think it is something to do with pitman using upper, middle and lower more, or maybe vice versa. My mum always swore pitman was better and I suspect so - things like that don't always benefit from change.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I can and I do :D It's amazing how many people in my office can't touch type.

I particularly like holding eye contact with people and having a conversation with them while still typing something completely different. Just now I'm touch typing this while watching TV intently for work!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never met a man who can touch type! Many can do the numerical keypad but not the alphabetically one!
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never met a man who can touch type! Many can do the numerical keypad but not the alphabetically one!

I can. I'm not sure if that's something to be proud of or not.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

It just shows that you can't afford a secretary.:o:p
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

I'm impressed. Men either do the one finger thing or two hand thing but look where they are going......tis cheating!
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    OMG! I had exactly the same - on one of those old finger mangler type writers

asdf ;lkj asdf ;lkj over and over again -

also the comment about touch typing and pulling pints - I can do both.....but not at the same time.....

Yes touch typing makes me feel pompus in a fab way!

I remember that at school, and the teacher stood at the front of the class shouting it over and over!! I don't feel superhuman though. :D

edit: I can also pull pints, I was a barmaid for nearly 15 years....preferred it to typing.!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I remember that at school, and the teacher stood at the front of the class shouting it over and over!! I don't feel superhuman though. :D

edit: I can also pull pints, I was a barmaid for nearly 15 years....preferred it to typing.!

I can pull pints and mix drinks too.

We are invincible
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made 60wpm on that test, but it failed to take into account that I had corrected all my mistakes en-route - so my speed was actually much higher (not known), with 8 uncorrected mistakes, and 60wpm all mistakes corrected within the time.

And yes, I love seeing peoples faces when this guy turns up with hands like hams, who promptly types at blistering speed - in fact I can type as quickly as I can think - at least it seems that way.

But then RAF sight and sound training, followed by 30+ years typing experience will do that.

Never had a moment's RSI, due to proper training. Keep those wrists up folks. Don't get lazy and use a wrist rest while trying to type at speed.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I used to be able to type at about 200 wpm with 98/99% accuracy, now I am well rubbish, accurate but slow 52wpm. What goes on?:mad:

edited 120wpm not 200
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be able to type at about 200 wpm with 98/99% accuracy, now I am well rubbish, accurate but slow 52wpm. What goes on?:mad:

Think it's just other stuff in your head mate. Mine has dropped to 80 words per minute from over 100 regularly.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

edited 120wpm not 200

I was just about to say, 200wpm is almost superhuman! :D
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Kablamo wrote: »
    I can and it does. :D

Me too and me too. :D