The Official Christmas Radio Times 2013 Countdown Thread

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartS wrote: »
    So, that'll be the next occupant of Studio D at BBC Elstree after Children In Need in late November then..

I suspect Roy Clarke has already wrote the full series. Since Last of the Summer Wine was pensioned off, he's had bugger all to do apart from grow bitter at Danny Cohen...

Although I groaned when I heard the news (Open All Hours was originally a specially written vehicle of Ronnie Barker, rather than writing it for no lead actor and getting him in afterwards) I'm starting to think I may even watch this.

And I love to know where this is going to fit in the schedules.

Common sense says, to play off the nostalgia factor and keep the audience, it goes around 8.30 on Christmas night just after kicking out time from the Strictly Christmas show - but Eastenders normally slots in around there - and that's probably where ITV will line up the Downton tanks.

I suspect it's heading for Christmas Eve evening, or even Boxing Night around 8pm.

Why would he bitter with Danny Cohen? It was Jay hunt who axed Summer Wine. I suspect a series has already been written too.
  • lundolundo Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Forgive me if this debate has already been had in years gone by, but what year do people think was the best christmas for TV. I think 1987 (being 10 at the time it has an emotional sort of pull)

That year there was at Noel's Presents, proper Top of the Pops, Indiana Jones film (Temple of Doom, but you can't have it all), ONE EastEnders episode that went on for half an hour, Russ Abbot, Only Fools and Two Ronnies.

That's a vintage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundo wrote: »
    Forgive me if this debate has already been had in years gone by, but what year do people think was the best christmas for TV. I think 1987 (being 10 at the time it has an emotional sort of pull)

That year there was at Noel's Presents, proper Top of the Pops, Indiana Jones film (Temple of Doom, but you can't have it all), ONE EastEnders episode that went on for half an hour, Russ Abbot, Only Fools and Two Ronnies.

That's a vintage

Yes. I loved 1987 too. I remember settling down to the big late night premiere of Terms of Endearment. It was also the year that BBC1 and BBC2 had badly received Christmas 'symbols' (which is what idents were called in those days). Although looking back at them now they're weren't that bad!
  • lundolundo Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    And can I add as well that on ITV at 3.10 was The Spy Who Loved Me (Bond after The Queen on Christmas Day should be a given).
  • bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Wonder if Peter Kay's new show Car Share will be on this Christmas, hasn't been much said about it.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    early info:

Whats on TV 95p
    TV Easy 95p
    TV & Sat £2.50
    TV Times £2.50

Official on sale date December 10 - off sale date December 27
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ If last year's anything to go by, TotalTVGuide (which I believe is popular around here) will be £1.99.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Why would he bitter with Danny Cohen? It was Jay hunt who axed Summer Wine. I suspect a series has already been written too.

But then Cohen was going around telling any passing interested party that he was looking for programmes that appealed to all age ranges for BBC One - so Clarke must have thought "Well, hello there - I know there hasn't been a joke in Last Of The Summer Wine since 1986, but at least it appealed to the over 50's"*

*possible paraphrasing by me - but you get the jist...
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    From what I've read in this thread BBC 1's Christmas line up is 1 of the best that they have had in recent years. I think that it could compare favourably to some of the Xmas line ups of the 1970's and 1980's. I'm looking forward to the new Open all hours. I think that the BBC will give it a peak time slot on Christmas day.
    I reckon that ITV won't be to pleased with the new Open all hours as they are no doubt hoping that their camp comedy Vicious might get good ratings.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    1977 is my favourite too. Been my screensaver on my laptop for the last year now!
    I like that 1977 one as well. I hope that the radio times will go back to their christmas themes of the 70s and 80s when christmas meant something
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Just saw the first Christmas Advert of 2013 on ITV1 DFS with father christmas
  • LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    cully83 wrote: »
    Just saw the first Christmas Advert of 2013 on ITV1 DFS with father christmas

There's more where that came from :) Have a look at http://www.christmasuk.org - I love Christmas advert spotting!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    LinusJ wrote: »
    There's more where that came from :) Have a look at http://www.christmasuk.org - I love Christmas advert spotting!

When do we usually see the Christmas Coke advert?

On an unrelated note the council have started putting our town's Christmas lights up already:eek:
    Forum Member
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    When do we usually see the Christmas Coke advert?

On an unrelated note the council have started putting our town's Christmas lights up already:eek:

Last year the classic trucks ad appeared on Nov 10th, and there's usually a new one appearing a few weeks later.
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    From Monday 4th November, True Entertainment Channel 61 are showing made for TV Christmas films every afternoon Monday to Friday, normally at 3pm but sometimes at 1pm.
    Forum Member
    From Monday 4th November, True Entertainment Channel 61 are showing made for TV Christmas films every afternoon Monday to Friday, normally at 3pm but sometimes at 1pm.

Ah, but will they be any good? :) Do you have any film titles on hand?
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Ah, but will they be any good? :) Do you have any film titles on hand?

All at 3.00pm unless stated otherwise.

Sat 2/11/13 A Christmas Romance (6.00am)

4/11/13 The Christmas Hope
    5/11/13 The Christmas Choir
    7/11/13 A Christmas Romance
    8/11/13 The Christmas Shoes

11/11/13 All I Want For Christmas
    12/11/13 Borrowed Hearts
    13/11/13 Undercover Christmas
    14/11/13 The Christmas Gift
    15/11/13 A Dream for Christmas

18/11/13 Once Upon a Christmas
    19/11/13 Twice Upon a Christmas
    21/11/13 The Christmas Shoes
    22/11/13 All I Want for Christmas

Sat 23/11/13 The Christmas Hope (6.00am)

25/11/13 A Grandpa for Christmas
    26/11/13 Prancer Returns (1.00pm)
    28/11/13 The Christmas Shoes (1.00pm)
    28/11/13 I'll Be Home for Christmas
    29/11/13 The Night They Saved Christmas

Sat 30/11/13 Once Upon a Christmas (6.00am)

It appears that there's not always one on a Wednesday and some are repeated.
    Forum Member
    Ah, it's the usual ones they show. I'll Be Home For Christmas is the most depressing Christmas movie I've ever seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, it's the usual ones they show. I'll Be Home For Christmas is the most depressing Christmas movie I've ever seen.

Then I suggest you steer clear of The Christmas Shoes!
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Another Christmas Special I don't think has been mentioned yet - http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/rab-c-nesbitt-set-for-bedroom-tax-battle-1-3148722
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    My prediction for Christmas Day BBC1:

15:00 The Queen
    15:10 FILM
    17:00 Animation
    17:30 News
    18:00 Doctor Who
    19:00 Strictly Come Dancing
    20:00 EastEnders
    21:00 Call The Midwife
    22:00 Mrs Brown's Boys
    22:30 Citizen Khan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will never know what is going to be shown on christmas eve to boxing day but one thing is for sure is that soaps and celebrity gameshows will dominate the schedule and that is sad as christmas tv wasnt like this in the good old days of the seventies/early eighties. Everyone has an opinion and that is mine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gooner88 wrote: »
    My prediction for Christmas Day BBC1:

15:00 The Queen
    15:10 FILM
    17:00 Animation
    17:30 News
    18:00 Doctor Who
    19:00 Strictly Come Dancing
    20:00 EastEnders
    21:00 Call The Midwife
    22:00 Mrs Brown's Boys
    22:30 Citizen Khan
    If bbc one stuck to their normal schedule then eastenders wouldnt be shown on christmas day as it falls on wednesday and eastenders isnt shown wednesday. It will also be the case next year when coronation street will be shown on christmas day even though coronation street isnt shown on thursday on itv
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    lundo wrote: »

That's a vintage

1985 for me, although I was too young to remember.

BBC
    Only Fools & Horses Special, Two Ronnies and Hi-di-Hi. No Eastenders.

ITV
    Minder Special, Moonraker and Des O Connor Tonight.

BBC 2
    Citizen Kane
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    ITV could give BBC some serious competition this year if they put Birds of a Feather on at 8pm and Downton at 9pm. Coronation Street could be split between 7:30 and 8:30, with Emmerdale 6:30 to 7:30.

Eastenders has been weakened