bwfcol wrote: »
    How did Italy vs Uruguay do on ITV4?

691k 4.9%
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    691k 4.9%

That's surprising.

In a poll I set up on the World Cup forum, 66% of people voted that they would be watching the Italy/Uruguay match over 33% for England/Costa Rica and yet the actual figures show only around 10% went for ITV4 in the end.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1976244

Perhaps those who bothered to vote were the more dedicated football fans as oppose to the more casual viewer who'd just tune in to the main channel and watch England?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    That's surprising.

In a poll I set up on the World Cup forum, 66% of people voted that they would be watching the Italy/Uruguay match over 33% for England/Costa Rica and yet the actual figures show only around 10% went for ITV4 in the end.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1976244

Perhaps those who bothered to vote were the more dedicated football fans as oppose to the more casual viewer who'd just tune in to the main channel and watch England?

More likely, what people say on DS and what they actually do are two separate things, like how people say they will stop watching a talent show after a shock decision, but then tune in next week regardless.

BBC1's main game looked low, the massive ratings we saw in the first week are now a distant memory.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    More likely, what people say on DS and what they actually do are two separate things, like how people say they will stop watching a talent show after a shock decision, but then tune in next week regardless.

BBC1's main game looked low, the massive ratings we saw in the first week are now a distant memory.

You can thank Roy Hodgson for that !!!
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

It was only Greece v Ivory Coast, and that 4m/21% includes an hour's build-up. On the other hand, it was an exciting match and had little ITV competition to speak of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EE rating not great and the share approaching 30% is just about ok in context. The England game did better than I thought and I suppose some of that audience may have stayed put for the news as they would have missed BBC 6pm news.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member

I don't think people were saying they would boycott the England match as some sort of protest about England's performance. Its just that the other game looked a far more interesting prospect with both teams having everything to play for as oppose to the England match where the result was pretty much meaningless for either team.

That's the reason I watched the ITV4 game and I was glad I did because it was very dramatic and the one the whole world is talking about today (even if it is for the wrong reasons).

I'm a bit surprised that the majority of the football loving GB public didn't think the same though and chose to watch a meaningless dead rubber purely because it featured England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "BBC News at Ten" (at 23:10): 2.13m (22%)
    ITV News at Ten (at 22:00): 3.085m (16%)

From ITV Media (inc +1, not tape-checked)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    EE rating not great and the share approaching 30% is just about ok in context. The England game did better than I thought and I suppose some of that audience may have stayed put for the news as they would have missed BBC 6pm news.

19:40 - ITV News: 3.28m (17%) inc +1, not t/c

Not much of an uplift on typical 18:30 numbers, and share lower than usual due to the later slot. It was facing EE, but then it usually faces regional news which rates not much lower than EE and is in the same genre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Highest all-day Tuesday share for ITV since December, tweets ITV Media. Not saying much though.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    19:40 - ITV News: 3.28m (17%) inc +1, not t/c

Not much of an uplift on typical 18:30 numbers, and share lower than usual due to the later slot. It was facing EE, but then it usually faces regional news which rates not much lower than EE and is in the same genre.
    Could it have been a different audience to the usual news audience.
    The BBC3 repeat of Eastenders hasn't been that high for a while when not clashing for soaps.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon the Beeb's first pick could be the Germany game at 9pm on Tuesday, to be honest.

After that extensive post I did yesterday I managed to mess up the last sentence, of course unless Germany really mess it up tomorrow they'll be playing on Monday.
    In relation to BBC rating better for most things; as audiences fragment more, since the BBC is the longest running TV channel audiences are more likely to be more loyal to the BBC than they might be to the other channels. If you look at the channel lifespan - BBC was started first so has the highest audience reach, ITV next biggest, BBC2, Ch4 and lastly Ch5. The BBC would have to be in dire straits for ITV to overtake it in reach figures. Likewise for Ch4 to overtake ITV.

Ha ha ha. I love this suggestion. I know you think only pensioners watch BBC1 but given ITV started 59 years ago I hardly think there are many people who are more loyal to BBC1 because they remember when it was only that. They WILL NOT watch this upstart ITV, just the sixty years on.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    ITV dominated the BBC from pretty much ITV's start. The BBC had a few shows that punched through in each decade but ITV wiped the floor with them for most of the week for most of the year.

There were periods where BBC1 did well like with their legendary bomb proof Saturday night schedule of the seventies and early eighties, Michael Grade in charge of BBC1 in the mid eighties. But it wasn't until the noughties where BBC1 became more competitive regularly with ITV.

We need to sound the Steve Williams klaxon! :D

Indeed, if we look in 40 Years of British Television, and pick a year at random we can see ITV way ahead. In 1966 BBC1 had two of the year's top twenty programmes compared to ITV's eighteen. In 1975 it was five on BBC1 to fifteen on ITV. And in 1982 and 1983, ITV had a complete clean sweep, twenty out of twenty. BBC1 would win on the big occasions like Christmas and with exceptional programmes but on a day to day level ITV were always way ahead. As you say, it's only since the turn of the century that the roles have been reversed and BBC1 generally win week in week out. Greg Dyke's investment certainly helped but ITV annoying its loyal audience by constant fiddling about didn't do it any favours.
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Nostalgic to who though, surely noone under 35 will have a clue what it is?
    When is the last time it was on TV?

Been on loads of times, the early nineties repeat run was of course hugely popular hence the Tracy Island make on Blue Peter, then it got another repeat run in 2000 which got on the cover of the Radio Times, so it's a properly iconic programme. Then you've got the film (and the associated Busted record, of course) which was only a decade ago.

I don't think it'll do that well, though, I'm not sure it's as suitable of a revamp as Doctor Who was. Who worked because the format is just as applicable to 21st century Britain as it was in the sixties. Don't think Thunderbirds' format is that relevant.
    It was only Greece v Ivory Coast, and that 4m/21% includes an hour's build-up. On the other hand, it was an exciting match and had little ITV competition to speak of.

The Beeb were of course committed to that hour long build-up based on the idea that England would have qualified and there'd be plenty to take about, which of course there wasn't. I wondered if they might have considered moving the start to 8.30, but no.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In relation to BBC rating better for most things; as audiences fragment more, since the BBC is the longest running TV channel audiences are more likely to be more loyal to the BBC than they might be to the other channels. If you look at the channel lifespan - BBC was started first so has the highest audience reach

I doubt there are many viewers around who have been watching BBC Tdelevision since 1936:D
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BARB response to my email of last night, querying the incorrect World Cup figures:

I asked about both channels, but no mention of ITV's split into two: pre-Opening Ceremony (10 minutes) and Opening Ceremony/pre-match/match/post-match (243 minutes). I'll mention that specifically in my reply.

EDIT: Done. I notice that BBC One has been taken down in the officials for w/e 15 June now. :o
    BARB have now updated BBC One:

1 WORLD CUP 2014: ENG V ITA (SAT 2300) - 14.70m
    2 WORLD CUP 2014: POST-MATCH (FRI 2151) - 9.48m
    3 WORLD CUP 2014: SPN V NED (FRI 2000) - 9.26m
    4 WORLD CUP 2014: PREMATCH (SAT 2221) - 8.62m
    5 WORLD CUP 2014: FRA V HON (SUN 2000) - 8.41m
    6 WORLD CUP 2014: POST-MATCH (SUN 2152) - 7.61m
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    In relation to BBC rating better for most things; as audiences fragment more, since the BBC is the longest running TV channel audiences are more likely to be more loyal to the BBC than they might be to the other channels. If you look at the channel lifespan - BBC was started first so has the highest audience reach

I very much doubt there are many viewers around who have been watching BBC Television continuously since 1936:D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BARB have now updated BBC One:

1 WORLD CUP 2014: ENG V ITA (SAT 2300) - 14.70m
    2 WORLD CUP 2014: POST-MATCH (FRI 2151) - 9.48m
    3 WORLD CUP 2014: SPN V NED (FRI 2000) - 9.26m
    4 WORLD CUP 2014: PREMATCH (SAT 2221) - 8.62m
    5 WORLD CUP 2014: FRA V HON (SUN 2000) - 8.41m
    6 WORLD CUP 2014: POST-MATCH (SUN 2152) - 7.61m

Ooh can you put these on the other place as well please Andy? ITV's figure next week will be enormous.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    3.4m (inc +1) for Love Your Garden.

Very pleased this did well. I feared it would return with around 2.5m. Based on ITV's Tuesday figures being down around 1million than any other day, in another slot it could have got 4m+.

Also shows that if ITV put something good there it will do well. Its a shame the following programme didn't give it much support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh can you put these on the other place as well please Andy? ITV's figure next week will be enormous.
    Done :)

Don't forget ITV's figures will be dragged down as they include pre/post match stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done :)

Don't forget ITV's figures will be dragged down as they include pre/post match stuff.

Is that definitely how ITV will be submitting them to BARB though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that definitely how ITV will be submitting them to BARB though?
    Yes. IIRC ITV have to submit full broadcast logs due to regional advertising variations on the HD platform. However, BARB will probably produce a detailed World Cup list at the end of the tournament. :)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe 9 million people watched that England match as more are talking about Wimbledon. Football fans are watching a corrupt sport that doesn't deserve any attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. IIRC ITV have to submit full broadcast logs due to regional advertising variations on the HD platform. However, BARB will probably produce a detailed World Cup list at the end of the tournament. :)

This will open a can of worms in end of year charts and here! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This will open a can of worms in end of year charts and here! :o

Its only massaging egos anyway - I dont think you should be allowed to split up a program like that, its like saying well the middle bit of my program rates better so lets ignore the rest. :confused:
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably something along the lines of... the clash on Monday with Corrie has killed it's momentum for the entire week thus posting a poor rating last night. :D:p I wonder if it'll beat Emmerdale in the direct clash on Friday night at 8PM?!
    Presumably if the first Friday episode of Emmerdale is of sufficient quality, the viewers will return for the second episode?

If the first one is poor, there might be enough people switching over to BBC One, to enable EastEnders to sneak a rare clash win.
This discussion has been closed.