The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    CBB has a faithful core audience too. For all its glory days are behind it and only the Daily Star gives much space to it, 1.5-2 million people are still prepared to watch it. You can tell by the forum on here that for the remaining viewers, it's still a big deal to them. BB/CBB has seen off most of its rivals in its 14 year reign and created a whole genre of programming. I'll admit I find it very boring and tired now, but it is a landmark show.

Landfill more like
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And bear in mind, my reply was to the equally all-encompassing claim that those episodes were "extremely popular with the kids", not that the poster had sought the views of every child of course.
    Of course not. My comment was in relation to a poll in a Doctor Who Adventures magazine which suggested that the monster in question was very popular with the under 10's.

Never mind.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny thing that I only see the X Factor being mentioned on this thread, No one is even bothered.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patrick95 wrote: »
    I understand what your saying but a poor lineup in the same year that they lost Brucie as a presenter and X-Factor returning in stronger shape could be poor for the shows numbers.

All I'm saying is that the Mark Wright / Alison Hammond / Simon Webbe are the absolute epitome of naff, uninspired casting and that seems to be the current trend for the entire cast ( so far! )

Have to agree with that,heard a few comments to the effect that this year its all chavs,that will for sure alienate the middle class for whom this show depends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    New Tricks on Monday could be quite interesting - it is moved to 2235 in Scotland because of the referendum debate on BBC1 Scotland but the overnight figure will include the Scottish audience for the debate because it's done by the time slot (ie 9-10 pm in the rest of the UK). The STV debate peaked at about 900,000 so it could add nearly a million to NT. The figures will be adjusted when the officials come out.

it will be good practice for when scotland become an independent country and it will give the broadcasters an idea on ratings for the rest of the kingdom. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Landfill more like

BRILLIANT! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty underwhelming, roll on winter! :)

Top Overnights* (Mon-Sat)

01 …. 7.4m (35.2%) …. The Great British Bake Off 20:00 BBC One - WED
    02 …. 6.9m (31.3%) …. Coronation Street 20:30 ITV - MON
    03 …. 6.8m (35.2%) …. Coronation Street 19:30 ITV - MON
    04 …. 6.8m (32.5%) …. Doctor Who 19:50 BBC One - SAT
    06 …. 6.3m (32.1%) …. Coronation Street 20:30 ITV - FRI
    07 …. 6.3m (35.5%) …. Coronation Street 19:30 ITV - FRI
    08 …. 6.2m (33.9%) …. Coronation Street 19:30 ITV - WED
    09 …. 5.9m (33.0%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - MON
    10 …. 5.9m (27.7%) …. EastEnders 20:00 BBC One - MON
    11 …. 5.8m (25.0%) …. New Tricks 21:00 BBC One - MON
    12 …. 5.8m (31.9%) …. EastEnders 19:30 BBC One - TUE
    13 …. 5.8m (31.1%) …. EastEnders 19:30 BBC One - THU
    14 …. 5.7m (33.5%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV – WED
    15 …. 5.7m (30.4%) …. EastEnders 20:00 BBC One - FRI
    16 …. 5.6m (31.9%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - THU
    17 …. 5.5m (32.2%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - TUE
    18 …. 5.4m (27.8%) …. Emmerdale 20:00 ITV - THU
    19 …. 5.2m (31.4%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - FRI
    20 …. 4.8m (23.1%) …. BBC News 22:00 BBC One - MON

*excludes +1
    Forum Member
    northlad wrote: »
    Have to agree with that,heard a few comments to the effect that this year its all chavs,that will for sure alienate the middle class for whom this show depends.

Have you got some demographics there that say "Strictly Come Dancing" is made up of a middle class audience as I've never heard this before. I wasn't aware that it had such a specific audience that watched it, or is this just a personal opinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »

i doubt any of the middle classes would know who mark wright is. i think if it was a choice between txf and scd they would still opt for strictly. anyway we have the viewers up north who know who these people are. ;-)
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how bruce leaving strictly will hurt the show, he was slow and very laboured towards the end. Seeing him bumbling over his words and links was just so so sad and very uncomfortable television.

Seeing an entertainment legend look so poor was very sad, he had his occasional moment's but they usually jarred and slowed the show up even more. His waffling at the intro of the show slowed it up, his stumbling over his jokes slowed the show, his chatting to the contestants had become slow. He was so far of his best.

Watching early episodes when he was absolutely on it, he was a huge bonus for the show but losing him after 2-3 very poor years will not hurt the show.

Tess is bland yes but she's pretty quick, let's things flow. And I'm a fan of Claudia I find her funny, some don't. Just like bruce and any other presenter she has her fans and her haters.

The line up still has a long way to go, it doesn't look to bad so far but I agree it needs 2 big names and a couple of old favourites. It's not a bad line up so far. The show thrives on the characters not the big names.

It may see a natural declene but I see no reason for it to drop hugely.
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I don't see how bruce leaving strictly will hurt the show, he was slow and very laboured towards the end. I fealt like him bumbling over his words and links was just sad and very uncomfortable television.

Seeing an entertainment legend look so poor was very sad, he had his occasional moment's but they usually jarred and slowed the show up even more. His waffling at the intro of the show slowed it up, his stumbling over his jokes slowed the show, his chatting to the contestants had become slow. He was so far of his best.

Watching early episodes when he was absolutely on it, he was a huge bonus for the show but losing him after 2-3 very poor years will not hurt the show.

Tess is bland yes but she's pretty quick, let's things flow. And I'm a fan of Claudia I find her funny, some don't. Just like bruce and any other presenter she has her fans and her haters.

The line up still has a long way to go, it doesn't look to bad so far but I agree it needs 2 big names and a couple of old favourites. It's not a bad line up so far. The show thrives on the characters not the big names.

It may see a natural declene but I see no reason for it to drop hugely.

Agree with all this!!
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't speak for anyone else, but in our house we watch Strictly 'live' and Sky+ XF, which we watch after and fast forward through all the adverts.
  • patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Have you got some demographics there that say "Strictly Come Dancing" is made up of a middle class audience as I've never heard this before. I wasn't aware that it had such a specific audience that watched it, or is this just a personal opinion

It's not that they are the ONLY demographic but they are MAIN- therefore those are the types of people that the BBC need to aiming alot of their line up too. If Celebrity Bg Brother threw in a line up that was mostly 40 years + you'd see that young audience share plummet.

Obviously they need to have names that are relate able to younger audiences but when choosing them don't go Simon bloody Webbe and Mark Wright! :D
    Forum Member
    patrick95 wrote: »
    It's not that they are the ONLY demographic but they are MAIN- therefore those are the types of people that the BBC need to aiming alot of their line up too. If Celebrity Bg Brother threw in a line up that was mostly 40 years + you'd see that young audience share plummet.

Obviously they need to have names that are relate able to younger audiences but when choosing them don't go Simon bloody Webbe and Mark Wright! :D

But where are the figures that say that "Strictly Come Dancing" has a majority of one particular type of viewer. I wasn't aware that it did.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the names announced for SCD so far.....

Jake Wood plays a high-profile character in Eastenders. This is a pretty big signing (even if EE isn't as big now than it used to be)

Sunetra Sarker - from Casualty, which has regularly provided contestants for SCD, including Patrick Robinson last year.

Alison Hamond from Daytime ITV, another regular source of SCD contestants, although she's probably less famous than some of the other names they've had, (Alison helps the programme hit its ethnic quota for this series which currently stands at 3 out of 8 so they're doing well in that area.)

Two pop singers from pop groups (Frankie from The Saturdays and Simon from Blue). Again, a regular source of SCD contestants. The Saturdays and Blue tend to be regulars in LE shows (Mollie from The Saturdays took part in The Cube recently, Anthony from Blue was on Pointless Celebrities yesterday.) Didn't see any drop in ratings when one of Blue took part in I'm A Celebrity.

Judy Murray must surely be well-known to the SCD older core audience we keep going on about and I'm sure will be very popular with them.

I'm still convinced that they only agreed to sign someone from TOWIE for the promise that they'd also get his ex-Corrie, babe girlfriend (thinking that SCD has a snooty no-chance attitude to people from constructed reality shows) but I'm kinda thinking that if they had signed up Michelle Keegan they would have said by now, possibly at the same time they announced Mark Wright's participation.

I still think the biggest danger to Strictly's ratings is the loss of Brucie and his replacement, Tess, who may present well and look nice, but I'm not sure one-liners are quite her thing, or interacting with the judges or ad-libbing if anything goes wrong or anything other than remembering her lines and looking at the right camera.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not. My comment was in relation to a poll in a Doctor Who Adventures magazine which suggested that the monster in question was very popular with the under 10's.

Never mind.
    And that was just as I had assumed. :)
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty underwhelming, roll on winter! :)

Top Overnights* (Mon-Sat)

01 …. 7.4m (35.2%) …. The Great British Bake Off 20:00 BBC One - WED
    02 …. 6.9m (31.3%) …. Coronation Street 20:30 ITV - MON
    03 …. 6.8m (35.2%) …. Coronation Street 19:30 ITV - MON
    04 …. 6.8m (32.5%) …. Doctor Who 19:50 BBC One - SAT
    06 …. 6.3m (32.1%) …. Coronation Street 20:30 ITV - FRI
    07 …. 6.3m (35.5%) …. Coronation Street 19:30 ITV - FRI
    08 …. 6.2m (33.9%) …. Coronation Street 19:30 ITV - WED
    09 …. 5.9m (33.0%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - MON
    10 …. 5.9m (27.7%) …. EastEnders 20:00 BBC One - MON
    11 …. 5.8m (25.0%) …. New Tricks 21:00 BBC One - MON
    12 …. 5.8m (31.9%) …. EastEnders 19:30 BBC One - TUE
    13 …. 5.8m (31.1%) …. EastEnders 19:30 BBC One - THU
    14 …. 5.7m (33.5%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV – WED
    15 …. 5.7m (30.4%) …. EastEnders 20:00 BBC One - FRI
    16 …. 5.6m (31.9%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - THU
    17 …. 5.5m (32.2%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - TUE
    18 …. 5.4m (27.8%) …. Emmerdale 20:00 ITV - THU
    19 …. 5.2m (31.4%) …. Emmerdale 19:00 ITV - FRI
    20 …. 4.8m (23.1%) …. BBC News 22:00 BBC One - MON

*excludes +1

Thanks for these. DW will easily pass the two Corries, and is probably past 7.5m with timeshifts today already. I assume GBBO will timeshit around 1.1m to 8.5m, so DW must be odds on favourite to be Number 1 for the week on officials with around 9m. If Iplayer viewings were fully included, it would be 10m or so.

It has been Number 1 for the week only twice before, and never for the first ep of a new Doctor - and yet some here still think it shoukd have done even better...
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will be good practice for when scotland become an independent country and it will give the broadcasters an idea on ratings for the rest of the kingdom. :D
    There is a very broad assumption there that such a Scottish broadcaster would be a be to reach an affordable agreement with the BBC (or, more likely, BBC Worldwide) on buying the programme in the first place! ;)
  • AUNACAUNAC Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Funny thing that I only see the X Factor being mentioned on this thread, No one is even bothered.

You know, thats very true. I have heard or seen ni realbuzz for it. But what do i know, i very rarely watch itv
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Fractious doesn't mean bad.
    It does in this case.
    Tragic as it is to see a "poor" BBC executive have her feathers ruffled, the festival won't be going anywhere (unless Independence happens and it moves to a new location!). Everyone still shows up and especially in years like this, there is a lot to be talked about and the festival is the main place to do that. Sometimes what needs to be talked about causes a little bit of aggro.
    It's becoming harder for broadcasters to justify the expense of attending the festival en masse, and once an unpleasant atmosphere begins to develop, as it has this weekend, we'll see more and more people staying away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    It has been Number 1 for the week only twice before
    4 times (if you include BBC HD) or is that cheating? ;-)
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You clearly don't read any tabloid newspapers. Well done.
    centauri72 wrote: »
    Thanks for these. DW will easily pass the two Corries, and is probably past 7.5m with timeshifts today already. I assume GBBO will timeshit around 1.1m to 8.5m, so DW must be odds on favourite to be Number 1 for the week on officials with around 9m. If Iplayer viewings were fully included, it would be 10m or so.

Episode 2 of GBBO timeshifted 1.8m. Obviously episode 3 had a higher overnight. so we might expect a lower timeshift, but I think it can still give Dr Who a run for its money.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i doubt any of the middle classes would know who mark wright is. i think if it was a choice between txf and scd they would still opt for strictly. anyway we have the viewers up north who know who these people are. ;-)
    I think I'll take a listening device to Woodhouse, local bad council estate, to see what people will be watching and report back:):) Actually most of them will probably be off their faces in The Lion.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    I still think the biggest danger to Strictly's ratings is the loss of Brucie and his replacement, Tess, who may present well and look nice, but I'm not sure one-liners are quite her thing, or interacting with the judges or ad-libbing if anything goes wrong or anything other than remembering her lines and looking at the right camera.

Were one liners Brucies thing? In the last few years you would be lucky if he remembered as much as one line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    There is a very broad assumption there that such a Scottish broadcaster would be a be to reach an affordable agreement with the BBC (or, more likely, BBC Worldwide) on buying the programme in the first place! ;)

as long as my licence fee is not funding it, i don't mind!
This discussion has been closed.