Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 17)

Comments

• Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    If Gerry Armstrong is there, that confirms that Sky will be using their own commentators on the main channels, games rather than the World Feed comms that will be used on the Red Button.
    No, it confirms that Sky are (quite rightly) using their own commentators for the Home Nations. It remains to be seen what happens for other games on the main channels.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mann,and,Armstrong,for,NIR
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Hawthorne & Houghton for ROI
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey have you seen the camera angle on the Northern ireland game this is awful almost like watching from space.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Crikey have you seen the camera angle on the Northern ireland game this is awful almost like watching from space.

I know, amazing. Anyone who moans about the low camera angles at Spurs may wish to compare and contrast. Miles away.

As expected all the matches have the same wipes and scorelines and graphics and so on. Presume that'll also be the case for England on ITV.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mann,and,Armstrong,for,NIR

Good to see Daniel Mann get an international team (I presume this isn't a one off).

Also, coventrywooo, can you please go and get some English lessons? Or alternatively, not put a comma after every word?
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Good to see Daniel Mann get an international team (I presume this isn't a one off).

Also, coventrywooo, can you please go and get some English lessons? Or alternatively, not put a comma after every word?

i,cant,when,i,use,my,laptop,as,my,spacebar,dont,work..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i,cant,when,i,use,my,laptop,as,my,spacebar,dont,work..

Are you on windows? If so - start - programs - accessories - accessibility - on-screen keyboard will solve the issue

There are shortcuts for a space too, just Google it.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abdo now being joined by Neil Lennon for the Northern Ireland game on SS3, the presenting area is the same as the one used for Game of the Day.

Technical Q: Abdo on SS3 is only a few yards away from Jones on SS5 in the same studio.

So surely there should be sound interference with each programme picking up the sound from the other? But it appears that it's all OK. How do they do that?

I know BT does more than one programme at a time but in their case the different programmes are much further away from each other.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Technical Q: Abdo on SS3 is only a few yards away from Jones on SS5 in the same studio.

So surely there should be sound interference with each programme picking up the sound from the other? But it appears that it's all OK. How do they do that?

I know BT does more than one programme at a time but in their case the different programmes are much further away from each other.

If I remember correctly, that studio has screens that can be pulled across to make it into smaller studios.
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm liking Sky's coverage. It means bigger name pundits that what we used to get, more games covered, Jones is a better presenter than the different ones which used to be used on the main game and, of course, we will get to hear Tyler on England again.

The desk is a bit big though.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, that studio has screens that can be pulled across to make it into smaller studios.
    I know BT don't like to be seen as "copying Sky" but they really could do with something like that. Quite distracting when you're watching a discussion / panel show and suddenly get cheers from the other side of the same studio and the pundits have to start talking louder to counter it.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote: »

Thanks a lot - that explains it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An hour into the game and we're now back with the studio team talking over the game. Any idea what happened?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind. There's been a power cut on the gantry losing the commentary so they've had to rejoin the studio.

Jones was essentially commentating, Quinn co-commentating and Carragher answering any questions posed. A 3 man team that worked :p
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind. There's been a power cut on the gantry losing the commentary so they've had to rejoin the studio.

Jones was essentially commentating, Quinn co-commentating and Carragher answering any questions posed. A 3 man team that worked :p

Sky really are desperate to get Quinn to co-commentate whenever they can it seems. :D

How is Carragher doing on "commentary" then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Sky really are desperate to get Quinn to co-commentate whenever they can it seems. :D

How is Carragher doing on "commentary" then?

He only spoke like twice before they handed back. He was answering a question Jones posed before ROI had a chance, so he stopped to let Jones continue.

Back to Hawthorne now though.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He only spoke like twice before they handed back. He was answering a question Jones posed before ROI had a chance, so he stopped to let Jones continue.

Back to Hawthorne now though.

I'll still count it as commentary though. :D

I have to be honest these Sky line-ups for internationals do sound quite strong (especially compared to before) - and dare I say it stronger than some of their PL and CL line-ups this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate and Neil have now moved to SS2 for Gibraltar Vs Poland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have had good line ups today, be interesting to see if Souness is around for Scotland in the smaller games, I doubt it.

EDIT: No Muse either, the theme is UEFA's I guess, it's not very inspiring.

Kate/Neil still on the NI game discussion but on a different channel. I did feel that 45 minutes of build up to this game may have been a struggle :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jones is joined by Souness, McCann and still Carragher for Germany Vs Scotland (as mentioned earlier).

Sky using their regular presenter, commentators, pundits, reporters and in some cases co-commentators across their coverage which is strong as said above.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    19:45

Germany v Scotland - Jon Champion & Alan McInally
    Gibraltar v Poland - Bill Leslie
    Faroe Islands v Finland - Steve Banyard
    Greece v Romania - Gary Taphouse
    Portugal v Albania - Tony Jones & Don Goodman
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Souness and Neil Mccan have now replaced Lennon and quinn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    19:45

Germany v Scotland - Jon Champion & Alan McInally
    Gibraltar v Poland - Bill Leslie
    Faroe Islands v Finland - Steve Banyard
    Greece v Romania - Gary Taphouse
    Portugal v Albania - Tony Jones & Don Goodman

Odd that Portugal game gets a co-comm but then Sky's main 2nd pick doesn't. I know Sky don't have the say on this but why not pick Portugal? They are a reasonable draw and the standard of commentary will be better with a co-comm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quinn now on talking about ROI, using this half hour for more analysis makes sense before build up at 7:30 I presume

How was Prutton's co-comm earlier?
This discussion has been closed.