Options

Gastric band

2»

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Hi, does anyone have edperience of gastric bands or other similar things like sleeves? How much do they generally cost. I would seriously consider getting one because apparently they're really effective!

I'd suggest:
    1. Healthy lifestyle - http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Pages/Livewellhub.aspx (look at the left hand side options);
    2. Exercise more and find a way of exercising that you like;
    3. Eat smaller portions;
    4. In between meal snacks to only consist of sport candy, i.e. fruits or celery or carrot sticks.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 12 or 13 stone (can't remember which) and my height is 5'8" roughly.

Well assuming you are 12.5 stone, doing a quick BMI calculation you are only slightly overweight. You'd be back into healthy weight by losing just under a stone.

Absolutely no way you would be a candidate for surgery at all. If you seriously believe you are overweight enough to warrant it, then do go and speak to your GP about that as you might have some body issues there.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Well assuming you are 12.5 stone, doing a quick BMI calculation you are only slightly overweight. You'd be back into healthy weight by losing just under a stone.

Absolutely no way you would be a candidate for surgery at all. If you seriously believe you are overweight enough to warrant it, then do go and speak to your GP about that as you might have some body issues there.

What do you mean body issues? :)

I would honestly consider liposuction... I just don't know how I keep gaining weight :( Some people just seem to be naturally skinny and can eat the house out and not put on an lb like my brother >:(

I did try a drastic lifestyle change in midwinter for about 3 weeks - I ran every single evening for about 20/25 minutes and also never snacked between meals and yet nothing seemed to change and I found it really ahrd to keep motivated and so just kind of stopped... Thereafter I have just resigned to the fact that my fat can be removed surgically.

I think I do eat more to deal with stress eetc so there's definitely something psychological there. I wish as a young child that crisps and sweets (general fatty and sugary foods) weren't availabe as a young child, as I feel I just became slightly addicted to them, and in more recent times they've become a necessity to deal with stress and stuff...

The thing is, I never feel full to be honest... i try to eat good meals yet I always feel hingry again after a while... for example tonight I ate dinner at about 5.30. Since then I have had an apple and a caramel log and my stomach still feels fairly empty!
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would honestly consider liposuction... I just don't know how I keep gaining weight :( Some people just seem to be naturally skinny and can eat the house out and not put on an lb like my brother >:(

I did try a drastic lifestyle change in midwinter for about 3 weeks - I ran every single evening for about 20/25 minutes and also never snacked between meals and yet nothing seemed to change and I found it really ahrd to keep motivated and so just kind of stopped... Thereafter I have just resigned to the fact that my fat can be removed surgically.

I think I do eat more to deal with stress eetc so there's definitely something psychological there. I wish as a young child that crisps and sweets (general fatty and sugary foods) weren't availabe as a young child, as I feel I just became slightly addicted to them, and in more recent times they've become a necessity to deal with stress and stuff...

The thing is, I never feel full to be honest... i try to eat good meals yet I always feel hingry again after a while... for example tonight I ate dinner at about 5.30. Since then I have had an apple and a caramel log and my stomach still feels fairly empty!

You've answered your own question. If you believe that with a bmi that says you're only slightly overweight, you need surgery then you have body issues.
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worth trying 5:2, where you eat normally for 5 days each week and limit your calories on 2 non-consecutive days to 600 for a man, 500 for a woman. It's worked like a dream for me, and in addition it seems fairly well established that there are health benefits to intermittent fasting. If you google it you'll be find loads of information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »
    You've answered your own question. If you believe that with a bmi that says you're only slightly overweight, you need surgery then you have body issues.

Well maybe I do... I just feel kinda unhappy with my body and identity.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would be much better using the money to see a therapist, rather than having weight lose surgery. Surgery brings along many more problems and still leaves the original one in its place.

You need to sort your head out first and then the rest will follow.

I have lost over 7 stone in a year, changing from a normal standard diet, to a high fat (Keto) lowcarb one. Its been great for my mental health as well as my physical health. I had put on a lot of weight due to the meds I was taking but that has all gone now and a bit more besides.

Well done :) that's a great achievement and I am happy you're feeling better.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well maybe I do... I just feel kinda unhappy with my body and identity.

My advice would be to see you're GP to try to get some help with that because the fact that you're using junk food for comfort is probably due to those feelings. I'd also recommend finding a form of exercise that you can stick to doing on a regular basis because exercise is good for confidence and helps with depression.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Double :o:o. The good news is that you want to voluntarily change things but it will requre absolute will power, restraint and determination on your part and within a few months things could have noticeably improved. If it's possible, I'd also suggest joining a fitness or weight loss group if that's an option. Now meet your new best snack friends: http://familyfrugalfun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Carrot-and-cucumber-stick-images.jpg and http://www.markon.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_banner/public/prdimg/RSS_Celery_Sticks_0.jpg?itok=O3vtbKnz

Seriously, Little Nell's suggestion above is a good one to try out and you can find out more here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=the+5+2+diet&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Double :o:o. The good news is that you want to voluntarily change things but it will requre absolute will power, restraint and determination on your part and within a few months things could have noticeably improved. If it's possible, I'd also suggest joining a fitness or weight loss group if that's an option. Now meet your new best snack friends: http://familyfrugalfun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Carrot-and-cucumber-stick-images.jpg and http://www.markon.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_banner/public/prdimg/RSS_Celery_Sticks_0.jpg?itok=O3vtbKnz

Seriously, Little Nell's suggestion above is a good one to try out and you can find out more here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=the+5+2+diet&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

The thing is I go to boarding school and so special diets aren't really an option :(
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted a gastric band at one point, I am 5ft 6in and I was over 18st.

However I have managed to lose 5st myself and I am now a size 14.

I was a size 24 at my heaviest.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How did you manage?!
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you manage?!

I honestly have no idea, when I bought a pair of size 24 trousers I felt that enough was enough.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    The thing is I go to boarding school and so special diets aren't really an option :(

Try cutting down on the snacks at first. Maybe if you feel that you need to reach for them to deal with stress, find something to do to distract you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have not bought snacks in about a week and am trying to stick to the fruit provided in the boarding house :)
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I have not bought snacks in about a week and am trying to stick to the fruit provided in the boarding house :)

How are your portion sizes?

I managed to lose over a stone in a relatively short amount of time by just reducing portion sizes and cutting out snacks.

The trick is learning to know when you are full. I must admit i do struggle sometimes if its my favourite food i cant help but eat it all :blush:
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

That's a tremendous achievement, well done. Did you do it on your own or with Slimming World/Weightwatchers/My Fitness Pal?