Whitney - It's Not Right, But It's Ok

LMLM Posts: 63,503
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone like this grammy award winning song from the late great Ms Houston?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J538b-OLRU

One of my fav break up songs. It's so not your typical break up song. It's honest, she doesn't feel sorry for herself, it doesn't use cheesy metaphors and it's Whitney at her most feisty.

"I''d rather be alone than unhappy" also has to be one of my fav lines from a song ever.

I wonder if this is about Bobby. It's no secret he was never faithful to her.

Comments

• ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it is/was a fantastic song. Very rarely if me or my boyfriend says "It's not right" about something, the other replies "but it's ok" and then we chuckle and sometimes badly and loudly croon the next couple of lines together whilst laughing.

But I remember at the time her image in the video being quite interesting too - the long PVC (?) skirt and the shiny choker.

Really great song IMO :-)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big Whitney ballads such as I Have Nothing etc are her biggest most popular songs, but she has so many songs that I prefer over those. I love It's Not Right, My Name Is Not Susan, All The Man I Need.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love this song. I prefer this to most of her ballads.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this song
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my favourite WH song, but it's from my favourite WH album.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    Yes! Also love the forgotten duet with George Michael "If I Told You That" I think they are both from the same album.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "When the two of you had dinner, I found your credit card receipt"

Ooh, so much sass in this song...it was really good.
    Though my favourite "break-up" song from Whitney is "I Learned From The Best" which is such an underrated classic of hers.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chvrches are big Whitney fans and have done a cover of this song.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the few Whitney songs that I like.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Love is Your Love is Whitney's best album IMO. Her earlier ones were vocally flawless of course, but I found a lot of the songs to be a bit soulless and sterile. MLIYL was the first time that Whitney's personality came through in the songs for me.

And I'd listened to Learned From The Best over I Have Nothing or I Will Always Love You any day.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Great song i remember buying on day 1 of release.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this song successful in the UK? I would have been 7 at the time, and I've never really listened to it but I REALLY recognise it from my youth.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It peaked at 3 and sold half a million copies, so yeah it was a big hit over here.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was a brilliant song
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely to see others like this song
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic song and one my personal favourites from Whitney! Her vocals are great and there's a lot of spunk and attitude in the song which makes it instantly catchy and memorable. It has a very strong hook that makes it rather fun in a way.

I really love the video too. A clear view on a variety of beautiful women, who were also standing firm in a nicely positioned order while mouthing the word along with Whitney. It's effective and worked well. Whitney also looks beautiful here and her personality really shines through in both the video and song, she looks relaxed, fun, bubbly and also seems to be enjoying herself here. Her smile gets me everytime. :)
  • Vardon78Vardon78 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I absolutely adore this song, both in its original and remixed format. The Thunderpuss 2000 Club Mix of 'It's Not Right...' really took it to another level at the time. I was living in the US at the time of this and MLIYL release and I remember radio's playing 'It's Not Right...' at first in late 1998, but it didn't seem to really to go anywhere. Then, in early '99, 'Heartbreak Hotel' was officially released a single with 'It's Not Right' as the b-side. Well, the remix must've really helped the track because Arista officially released 'It's Not Right' as an official US single on its own a few months later and the rest is history! ;-) And Whitney looked ABSOLUTELY STUNNING in the video.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this song. So simple yet so cool!

Definietly a forgotten gem