Futurama has been cancelled (again)

2»

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    So in the UK how many episodes in total have we got left pleased? gutted it is going but prefer it this way not like Simpsons and Family Guy which is going waaay past it's sell by date.

PJ

Not got Sky but as far as I'm aware they have the rest of this season plus the next one (another 13 episodes) yet to air. As for DVDs, we've got season six coming out in June, then two more seasons to follow. So we've still got 39 episodes to come on DVD.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Right time to end it. C'mon people, do we really want another Groening show going on forever past the point of relevancy?

The show's had a good seven seasons, come back no less than three times, and can go out feeling like it's accomplished everything it set out to accomplish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Right time to end it. C'mon people, do we really want another Groening show going on forever past the point of relevancy?

The show's had a good seven seasons, come back no less than three times, and can go out feeling like it's accomplished everything it set out to accomplish.

The right time to end a show is when the creators say so, and my understanding is that Groening took the good writers from the Simpsons to Futurama, so they haven't really been calling the shots...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Groening pushes for the show to be picked up elsewhere. If he's moved the best writers from The Simpsons to Futurama then he obviously cares about the show and wants it to work.
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »
    Hopefully Groening pushes for the show to be picked up elsewhere. If he's moved the best writers from The Simpsons to Futurama then he obviously cares about the show and wants it to work.

Yes, but it's a question of whether anyone else wants it. Having failed on two networks, it's hardly going to be sought after. I think it would have to be a Fox owned channel or one that doesn't care about ratings. Of course, he might push for a feature film or more extended feature length episodes...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but it's a question of whether anyone else wants it. Having failed on two networks, it's hardly going to be sought after. I think it would have to be a Fox owned channel or one that doesn't care about ratings. Of course, he might push for a feature film or more extended feature length episodes...

Fox have still been producing the show so if they don't mind getting some so-so ratings then they might take it back. I daresay if they wedged it in around their other shows, particularly Family Guy, Futurama would see quite good ratings. I mean, if the DVDs have been selling well then it'd be very likely that Fox would pick it back up because they wouldn't want to lose out on the money the DVDs bring (and they must have sold quite well seeing as Comedy Central picked it up on the principle that the four DVD movies had sold very well).
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »
    Fox have still been producing the show so if they don't mind getting some so-so ratings then they might take it back. I daresay if they wedged it in around their other shows, particularly Family Guy, Futurama would see quite good ratings. I mean, if the DVDs have been selling well then it'd be very likely that Fox would pick it back up because they wouldn't want to lose out on the money the DVDs bring (and they must have sold quite well seeing as Comedy Central picked it up on the principle that the four DVD movies had sold very well).

Trouble is, even with Cleveland dead, Sunday nights are still full for Fox. So it would either displace a show already in the block (not going to happen - unless it swaps midseason with Bob's Burgers) or not go in the "Animation Domination" block (even less likely to happen).

Another possibility that sprung to mind was that Fox might decide to do more direct to video specials. (Depending on how well sales are). They could probably finance them using DVD sales and international sales rights.

Though if Comedy Central still holds syndication rights to Futurama (which I believe they do). It's unlikely another cable channel will attempt to pick it up.
  • dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd mention that tonight's US episode is the last one. David X Cohen apparently feels like this really is it, this time.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    Just thought I'd mention that tonight's US episode is the last one. David X Cohen apparently feels like this really is it, this time.

Thanks for the heads up
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably wont even get the latest series over here till next year :(
  • katokato Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    A nice episode to finish with - during the opening titles they added the caption "Avenge Us".
  • Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not shocked, hasn't been the same since the straight-to-DVD films. I bought season six the day it came out and I haven't even bothered to finish it yet.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    *marv* wrote: »
    maybe someone like netflix or amazon might take it up, Its a shame fox don't take it up as they could extend their cartoon black on a sunday night. I can dream right? :(

Actually I'm suprised fox never took it up in the first place.

Futurama is too smart for a Fox audience.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I've not watched the last episode (will be watching it tonight) but I am gutted. Personally I think I've had more laughs out of Futurama than I have out of all of The Simpsons. Plus when Futurama decide to do an emotional episode they do it just right. The episode in the last season with Fry's Mum (I won't go into details so I don't spoil it for anyone) was perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the finale, it felt a lot more like a finale than the first "series finale" that we got back in 2003. I'm sad to see it go, but at the same time I think it was right to end it, the last couple of seasons haven't been anywhere near as good as the previous seasons. I'd rather see it end now than drag on while getting worse and worse like The Simpsons has done, that show is almost unrecognisable compared to the show it used to be, and I'd hate to see Futurama go that way.