Nicholas CAN'T SING

TheJ693TheJ693 Posts: 919
Forum Member
✭✭
Am I the only one? :confused: I always thought he was really average. I don't think he has a future in the music business. He is too ordinary and lacks the identity. He can't play an instrument or write his own songs either like Luke can. I'm starting to think they only like him because he's young and probably a nice lad behind the scenes.... But the fact is, he can't sing and shouldn't be in the final.

If he wins The X Factor, he won't be heard of again. Just like Joe McElderry. Luke is the only one that has a future out of the three. And Abi.

Just my opinion.

Comments

• Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicholas is perfectly competent as long as he sticks within his range. The song on Saturday was totally unsuitable, as would have been evident to everyone during rehearsals, including Nick himself. Maybe he didn't like to speak out? Luke can adapt songs to suit but Nick doesn't have that experience yet.

I don't know what you mean about Joe disappearing. He's had four albums out :confused:
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick is a significantly better singer than Luke who has a busker's voice and shouts. Apart from last week's Beyoncé train wreck, Nick has been consistently by far the best male vocalist, and even last week his Elton John cover was excellent. He is tuneful, melodic and versatile in a way no other singer on the show is, but I agree he is also bland. However, many singers are bland if given old worn out material and lazy arrangements.

I'm sorry, I am unimpressed with Luke's guitar playing. Only against the truly woeful Abi did he appear like a musician. X Factor is a singing show, not a musician's show and if it were Luke would not get this far because there would be great musicians on it. I do like Luke but you mustn't overhype him, he's one dimensional and guilty of just about all the criticism Nick gets on this forum. And we know that Luke has three times gone forward in this series and the least like contestant, whereas Sam and Nick never have.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    really have to laugh at someone starting a post saying Nicholas cant sing but then predicts a future for abi ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    TheJ693 wrote: »
    Am I the only one? :confused: I always thought he was really average. I don't think he has a future in the music business. He is too ordinary and lacks the identity. He can't play an instrument or write his own songs either like Luke can. I'm starting to think they only like him because he's young and probably a nice lad behind the scenes.... But the fact is, he can't sing and shouldn't be in the final.

If he wins The X Factor, he won't be heard of again. Just like Joe McElderry. Luke is the only one that has a future out of the three. And Abi.

Just my opinion.

how do you know he cant play an instrument, how do you know he cant write his own songs, he just only 17 about 2 weeks ago and he is a much better singer than luke and how do you know luke write his own stuff and you can predict the future no body knows wat going to happen a year time
  • Dean_AdamsDean_Adams Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick is a good singer its just unfortunate he had to sing Halo. Such a difficult song to sing, especially for a male.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicholas has a good voice, but it's more limited than people think. I noticed this as early as Week 2, when he just flat-out shouted the last big note in She's The One, which people didn't notice because of the "paediophile" that the judges noted instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick can sing but has a limited range.
    You could make this statement about many famous singer's, especially male, they just don't have to put themselves in a position where the limitations will show!
    Luke on the other hand is missing notes that are well within his range!
    Forum Member
    earldbest wrote: »
    Nicholas has a good voice, but it's more limited than people think. I noticed this as early as Week 2, when he just flat-out shouted the last big note in She's The One, which people didn't notice because of the "paediophile" that the judges noted instead.

people forget his voice is suited to indie type of songs I wont give up, a thousand years etc the stuff he sang at bootcamp etc and I think he has a bigger range then you think I saw a you tube video of him singing I wont give up in motherwell and hit a high note with little effort but halo was never going to suit him
    Forum Member
    people forget his voice is suited to indie type of songs I wont give up, a thousand years etc the stuff he sang at bootcamp etc and I think he has a bigger range then you think I saw a you tube video of him singing I wont give up in motherwell and hit a high note with little effort but halo was never going to suit him

a thousand years is not an indie song :confused:
  • kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I maintain that he was stitched up with Halo (his worse performance by far).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people forget his voice is suited to indie type of songs I Wont Give Up, A Thousand Years, etc the stuff he sang at bootcamp etc and I think he has a bigger range then you think I saw a you tube video of him singing I wont give up in motherwell and hit a high note with little effort but halo was never going to suit him

Some people forget that songs by Jason Mraz and Christina Perri are not indie songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate03 wrote: »
    I maintain that he was stitched up with Halo (his worse performance by far).

Oh he was, but his voice isn't as spectacular as people think. It just so happens that other people were stitched up in the early weeks.
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    a thousand years is not an indie song :confused:

damn your right I just trying to make a point of wat type of song would suit his voice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan, he bores me but he can sing. I just can't see him having a long career in the music industry; at least not a commercially successful one.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the range criticism. Personally I don't listen to a singer thinking 'oh wow, he can hit a top C'. I listen to a singer to be moved, not impressed. Yes his voice cracked on that top note in Halo - a combination of nerves, inexperience, recovering from a cold, not having warmed up properly - who knows. As someone pointed out on another thread it's happened to other more famous singers before. To say he can't sing is ridiculous. You may find him bland, I find the tone to his voice beautiful. He has excellent control over it, a very musical understanding of dynamics and a sumptuous vibrato - it's a very, very natural and instinctual ability.

By all means prefer Luke if that's your thang, but don't make false claims for him, and moreover don't make false claims against Nicholas.
    Forum Member
    the range thing is an issue if he tries to sing songs outside it as he has the last couple of weeks

I agree if he stays within his range he sounds great , its not maybe a great indicator of his future if he is limited like that tho
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the range thing is an issue if he tries to sing songs outside it as he has the last couple of weeks

I agree if he stays within his range he sounds great , its not maybe a great indicator of his future if he is limited like that tho

Fair point except Halo would be outside the vast majority of male singers range.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, the assertion in the OP that Joe hasn't been heard of again demonstrates a remarkably narrow understanding of the music industry.
    Forum Member

a lot of male singers don't have huge range and still do well so I don't see where the problem is you wont see ed sheeran singing a type of song like halo would you Nicholas has a wonderful tone to his voice
  • kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a lot of male singers don't have huge range and still do well so I don't see where the problem is you wont see ed sheeran singing a type of song like halo would you Nicholas has a wonderful tone to his voice

I like Nicholas' tone too. I think he's been fairly consistent every week.
    Forum Member

I never disagreed with that , said as soon as I saw what he was singing that the song was too big for him

not sure I would be comparing him to ed sheeran yet however

my problem with Nicholas has always been a complete lack of identity in his music , with almost every other contestant you could see what direction they would maybe go in after the show if they got the chance , with Nicholas I don't have a clue , he is a bit of a blank canvas atm

I've never heard him talk about influences and it always worries me when someone who wants to be a singer doesn't seem to have a great knowledge about music , might be doing him a disservice there but just never heard him talking about it
    Forum Member
    I think luke has a much more limited range than Nicholas as went luke tried to sing a high note for Elton john song it sounded very rough it like he putting a huge effort into it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think luke has a much more limited range than Nicholas as went luke tried to sing a high note for Elton john song it sounded very rough it like he putting a huge effort into it

I think that's as much to do with Luke not having any vibrato, at least not at top belt. It makes those notes sound very course (aside from the rocky grit in his voice). Also, if he's not quite hitting the note it's that much more jarring because of it.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Nicholas is a lovely wee lad.
    He can sing and is as cute as a button.
    I like as well that he always come out on the show hand in hand with sam on a saturday.
    She taught him how to use a washing machine and i like that.
    I think Nicholas and Sam get on well.
    Im Scottish....and if it was a Sam/Nicholas final i'd be voting for Sam.
    I like Nicholas and i think he's a cracking wee singer but for me Sam tops it.
    Sorry Nicholas...i like you to bits but i like Sam more.
    Forum Member
    I never disagreed with that , said as soon as I saw what he was singing that the song was too big for him

not sure I would be comparing him to ed sheeran yet however

my problem with Nicholas has always been a complete lack of identity in his music , with almost every other contestant you could see what direction they would maybe go in after the show if they got the chance , with Nicholas I don't have a clue , he is a bit of a blank canvas atm

I've never heard him talk about influences and it always worries me when someone who wants to be a singer doesn't seem to have a great knowledge about music , might be doing him a disservice there but just never heard him talking about it

i wont be comparing them i was just saying ed sheeran has a limited range and doing great with it and a lot of other singers are the same i don't have a clue wat Nicholas wants to do as such but he listens to indie, acoustic and pop and modern stuff but on the show he been given completely different genre predictable ballets about love and heartbreak wat a 17 year know about love and heartbreak and i don't think x factor have helped him much either to improve