Options

Why don't the press care much about The Voice?

BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We've got Kylie Minogue who is arguably the biggest star to be a judge/coach on a talent show like this but the press care more about the upcoming series of The X Factor and who's on their panel, if Cheryl's coming back

Why doesn't the press care much about The Voice? As opposed to the likes of The X Factor & Im a Celeb which get front page news articles on them on a weekly (or sometimes a daily) basis while their on while The Voice gets little coverage

Comments

• Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor is hyped up by Simon Cowell and contestants with an issue or bad behaviour.
    I'm a Celebrity usually has a fallen celebrity or someone who has made a fool of themselves recently.

The press probably aren't interested in a lack of dirt to dig up.
    That's why I don't buy papers much any more. I neither want to watch or read about most reality shows.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cause its sh*t
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's actually a talent competition as opposed to some melodramatic drama.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    Because it just doesn't have the X Factor.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it doesn't have the same appeal as X Factor.

X Factor creates talking points the press don't take TVUK seriously. Its boring format which hasn't produced a single star since it started two bland forgettable winners in a row.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james2018 wrote: »
    Cause its sh*t

So are the other reality shows.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And its all the better that they dont. The Voice is a class above the X Factor in everyway.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even this forum has more constructive contributors than most that go on the Factor forum
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it doesn't have the same appeal as X Factor.

X Factor creates talking points the press don't take TVUK seriously. Its boring format which hasn't produced a single star since it started two bland forgettable winners in a row.

Talking points lol what like contentents behaving badly, Lewi saying he's going to quite for the 10th time, two female coaches may be arguing. Yah there real talking points aren't they? Not!!!
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more to do with press access.

The X Factor and BGT make a big deal about their auditions, they hold red carpet events, invite press along, etc. Lots of the stories this past week about XF/BGT have come from quotes from Simon on the red carpet of BGT auditions in London last week. There's also the 'fashion' stories and other 'gags' such as Simon/David's messing about (David in the audience, then dressed as a chauffeur, etc)

The Voice on the other hand is all done behind relatively closed doors, miles away from London in Manchester and was completed last year when X Factor, Strictly, I'm A Celeb, etc. were all on air (i.e. press were busy with other reality shows)
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it gets quite a bit of attention. I think that they will miss Holly for the live shows. Holly's dresses always got press attention
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    It's bland, and not helped by the fact that after 2 series has failed to produce a breakout artist.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's boring compared to XFactor. I still like it though :)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    The XFactor is the MacDonalds of talent shows. It gets lots of attention advertising/press-wise as it is dumbed down and appeals to working class people who read tabloids like The Sun and the Star and are interested in controversial stories about the contestants and judges. The Voice is a higher quality show for a more upmarket audience, as a result it doesnt really receive as much tabloid coverage.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but na, I don't think so, I think it's actually because it's not as much fun to watch.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the judges on the X Factor know it's all about them and they create stories for the press to lap up. Cowell hires and fires people to make headlines. It's all back biting.
    Thankfully the Voice isn't about that and the judges really seem nice and caring. That doesn't create stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking points lol what like contentents behaving badly, Lewi saying he's going to quite for the 10th time, two female coaches may be arguing. Yah there real talking points aren't they? Not!!!

Listen the contestants are million times better on X Factor than what you see on TVUK.

Once the blinds finish viewers lose interest. I doubt Kylie will be able to save and boost the battle rounds and Live shows.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listen the contestants are million times better on X Factor than what you see on TVUK.

Once the blinds finish viewers lose interest. I doubt Kylie will be able to save and boost the battle rounds and Live shows.

I would listen if you actually talked sense. The fact you say the contestants are better on the Xfactor then the Voice goes to show your talking rubbish.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    We've got Kylie Minogue who is arguably the biggest star to be a judge/coach on a talent show like this but the press care more about the upcoming series of The X Factor and who's on their panel, if Cheryl's coming back

Why doesn't the press care much about The Voice? As opposed to the likes of The X Factor & Im a Celeb which get front page news articles on them on a weekly (or sometimes a daily) basis while their on while The Voice gets little coverage

Probably cos UNcle Si has told them not to.

I beleve the papers are under the kosh of Mr Cowell & do his bidding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would listen if you actually talked sense. The fact you say the contestants are better on the Xfactor then the Voice goes to show your talking rubbish.

Both are talent shows both have singers who audition so making comparisons is fair.

You don't watch X Factor so wouldn't actually know anything about talent or X Factor's history of successful artists outside of the show.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The XFactor is the MacDonalds of talent shows. It gets lots of attention advertising/press-wise as it is dumbed down and appeals to working class people who read tabloids like The Sun and the Star and are interested in controversial stories about the contestants and judges. The Voice is a higher quality show for a more upmarket audience, as a result it doesnt really receive as much tabloid coverage.

Spot on.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member

Pretty much summed up there.

There is no faux drama on the voice. Nor is there any patronising scripting which is one of my pet hates about the x factor !
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They only ever wanted to mock it IMO and there's not much to take the mickey out of now, it's doing well in the ratings, Kylie and Ricky are doing well and sniping at Will has gotten old hat.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Probably cos UNcle Si has told them not to.

I beleve the papers are under the kosh of Mr Cowell & do his bidding.

Pretty much this.

TXF lives on publicity and TXF PR machine feeds a constant stream of stories to the press. It's part of the way that they manipulate the results to make sure that the chosen few, who were actually chosen right at the beginning, get through to the finals.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow. I'm sorry but anyone who dismisses someone based on the t.v. shows they watch or the food they eat cannot call themselves 'upmarket'. Lots of people like both the voice and the xfactor, what do you say about those people? I enjoy both shows but prefer xfactor because it does not take itself too seriously and the other fans of the show do not take it seriously. The x factor knows what it is. They know they are tacky and cheap and a light entertainment show. The voice, as much as I enjoy it, comes across as a bit pretentious sometimes. I think this is part of the reason the press dislike it. The press do not seem to like people who take themselves too seriously. They ripped apart matt cardle because he kept talking about being a credible musician, so it is not just the voice acts who they rip apart because of this.

Another reason the press ignore it is that it is a flawed format and got off to a bad start. At the beginning, the coaches kept going on about how it is all about the voice but then in the battles, they eliminated people based on other factors like their age. This immediately opened them up to criticism.

Thirdly, there is a negativity bias in the media in general. The media tend to report more negative stories in general. We see more stories about teenagers being in gangs than we do about teenagers volunteering in their community, we see more about people who have ten kids, claim benefits and then spend the money on drugs than we do about those people on benefits who use them appropriately and have applied to hundreds of jobs. It is the same with tv shows. The voice is very nice, everyone is told they're amazing, even the ones who do not get through. The contestants thank the judges, even though they're upset and everyone gets a hug. The judges also get along and do not criticize each others decisions. The x factor is very blunt, if a contestant is not good enough, they tell them that, they don't just say you're not my bag. This can sometimes lead to contestants losing it and insulting the judges. With the negativity bias going on, it is obvious the press would write more about the xfactor.

Finally, the xfactor has been on for 10 years, the voice has been on for three so it is understandable the media are going to write about something that is more familiar to the readers. It is the same reason they report more on coronation street than they do about Hollyoaks, even when CS is doing dire storylines like the peter and tina affair and HO is doing strong storylines like the JP rape storyline.