Options

What is the purpose of this silver circle when building Ikea sofa (picture inside)

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
http://s16.postimg.org/ub36q5qad/ikea.jpg

I screwed four of the long things in to the base of a sofa to keep it together but forgot to screw on the silver circles which were meant to go at the end of the long thing!! :(:(:( What is their purpose and is it essential I screw them back in? The base feels very secure and sturdy? I can't help but feel it'll be worse for it to unscrew them all and add the circles what with wood potentially cracking etc... they're screwed in quite tight.

Thanks! I'm really useless with DIY as I'm sure you can tell. :kitty:

Comments

• Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(hardware)

How on earth do you not know what a washer is?
  • Options
    ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a washer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you! :blush: Should I unscrew them all and start over? :(
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Yes. Yes you should.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wizsister wrote: »
    Yes. Yes you should.

Immediately. For the love of god, hurry! :o
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd do them now. Stuff like this can't wait until morning. So unsafe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Serious answers only please.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Serious answers only please.

:D Yes you should probably unscrew them and put the washers on. No it isn't urgent. It won't be the end of the world if you don't bother at all.
  • Options
    jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    Awe bless .
    Just undo the long things (bolts) and add the washers when you get the time .
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    http://s16.postimg.org/ub36q5qad/ikea.jpg

I screwed four of the long things in to the base of a sofa to keep it together but forgot to screw on the silver circles which were meant to go at the end of the long thing!! :(:(:( What is their purpose and is it essential I screw them back in? The base feels very secure and sturdy? I can't help but feel it'll be worse for it to unscrew them all and add the circles what with wood potentially cracking etc... they're screwed in quite tight.

Thanks! I'm really useless with DIY as I'm sure you can tell. :kitty:
    :D:D:D:blush:
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The purpose of the silver circle (washer) is to stop the long thing (bolt) from pulling through the wood. The washer helps to distribute the pressure of the bolt more evenly.

I would use them OP. :)
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we still at DefCon 3 or can we downgrade this crisis yet to a 4?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Are we still at DefCon 3 or can we downgrade this crisis yet to a 4?

Can I just check whether a disaster has been averted? The second earthquake in Rutland is more than a coincidence!
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    The purpose of the silver circle (washer) is to stop the long thing (bolt) from pulling through the wood. The washer helps to distribute the pressure of the bolt more evenly.

I would use them OP. :)

OP as above; you absolutely MUST remove the bolts and fit the washers.

Otherwise your legs may go all wobbly and fall off;.... the sofas' legs, not yours. Seriously! :o
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously a wind up post. I've known what a washer (and bolt, who calls them long things??) is from the age of about 8 I reckon and even if you didn't know, the Ikea instructions would have said to use the washer with the bolt (i.e., place the "silver circle" through the "long thing" in the form of a diagram) so why didn't you?
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously a wind up post. I've known what a washer (and bolt, who calls them long things??) is from the age of about 8 I reckon and even if you didn't know, the Ikea instructions would have said to use the washer with the bolt (i.e., place the "silver circle" through the "long thing" in the form of a diagram) so why didn't you?

Actually, most Ikea instructions are a series of pictures with a stupid man pointing.... and ticks and crosses on them to say what to/not what to do.

Even an idiot could follow them....

Oh, hold on a moment....
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we in a Bravo Zulu situation yet? OP, please confirm.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and no one has yet helpfully pointed out the difference between a circle and a disc
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Lol @ 'long things' and 'silver circles'. :D

And I thought I was daft about such things!
  • Options
    Forum Member

The instructions don't have any writing on or name the bits and pieces. Just pictures of little men. The washers weren't very clear in it. Ikea should include text as well as pictures.

Anyway I will take it apart and start over tonight just in case. :cry:
  • Options
    L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were these the instructions? :confused:

http://i.imgur.com/AYApW.jpg
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on, how did you take the picture of the bolt and washer prior to assembly, if the problem of left-over washers only came to light at the end?
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Hang on, how did you take the picture of the bolt and washer prior to assembly, if the problem of left-over washers only came to light at the end?

They usually put in some spares.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    They usually put in some spares.

Not in my experience of assembling numerous Ikea items.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »

Because I'd put in 4 bolts for the base when I made the post but there was another 4 to attach the feet stands I'd not done yet. Anyway I took it apart and put them back in with the washers and it's all complete now. :D Thanks for your help! ^_^