extant

The trailer for extant looks brilliant. It stars halle berry and premiers on the 9th of July .

It's about an astronaut who was on a year long solo mission in space and upon her return to earth she finds out she is inexplicably pregnant.

The executive producer is Steven Spielberg and cbs
Bypassed the usual pilot route and ordered a straight 13 episodes so there is high hopes for this show

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=dSKwU5nuKLPP0AXkioCwCg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DPcmB-BoY1j0&cd=1&ved=0CCUQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHkaWtN2cnXns0ngJS9hOjUYujbFw

really looking forward to this show and I hope it's not the next big flop.

Hope an English channel obtains the rights to it.

What do you all think?

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Hope an English channel obtains the rights to it.

UK rights were purchased by the Amazon Prime streaming service.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The executive producer is Steven Spielberg

That puts me off immediately. I have found most of his TV stuff really not my cup of tea and incredibly dull to boot. Falling Skies is probably the only one of his TV shows I have watched more than a few episodes of and that's only because if falls into the 'so bad its good' category. Though after the opener for season 4 I think I've given up on that too.

Not the greatest Halle Berry fan either.

So unless it gets brilliant reviews I'll give ti a miss. Even if it has brilliant reviews I'll probably give it a miss.

Edit: Just watched the trailer. There's a 'cute' kid. There's always a cute kid. Definitely giving this one a miss!!
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^hey maybe the cute kid will croak it soon, or turn out to be a not-so-cute kid with murderous tendencies.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^hey maybe the cute kid will croak it soon, or turn out to be a not-so-cute kid with murderous tendencies.

If only :D

We both know the fate of the entire world will be resting on his cute, wise beyond his years shoulders.

I do wonder if Speilburg's children were such a disappointment to him that he has to keep creating the ideal child....or is it more about him being the perfect, brave, special child but no-one realising so now he has to keep telling everyone over and over how great a child he was even if no-one knew?
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only :D

We both know the fate of the entire world will be resting on his cute, wise beyond his years shoulders.

I do wonder if Speilburg's children were such a disappointment to him that he has to keep creating the ideal child....or is it more about him being the perfect, brave, special child but no-one realising so now he has to keep telling everyone over and over how great a child he was even if no-one knew?

Just spat my ice cream all over the sofa.

Pmsl
  • DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    UK rights were purchased by the Amazon Prime streaming service.

That's me not watching then, pity.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it looks brill
    I wonder if this will be the comeback that Halle berry's career really needs. A lot of movie stars have found success in television over the last several years.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it looks brill
    I wonder if this will be the comeback that Halle berry's career really needs. A lot of movie stars have found success in television over the last several years.

I hope it is the comeback she deserves, couldn't ever understand what she did so wrong for her career to plummet. ....... well apart from catwoman .

But it does look great
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I do wonder if Speilburg's children were such a disappointment to him that he has to keep creating the ideal child....

Never thought of it like that before. But I don't understand why Spielberg has to keep doing the same thing, over and over. Surely, the mark of a great director is quality and variety. Not that he's alone. Lucas cannot write a script to save his life, and yet managed to make billions of dollars flogging the dead horse of Star Wars over and over again.

I wonder, between them, how many slots they've taken from up and coming talented writers and directors who the Hollyweird machine wouldn't take a chance on. :(
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the pilot episode, hope it keeps at this quality.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the pilot episode, hope it keeps at this quality.

I wasn't expecting much if I'm honest but I was very pleasantly surprised. I spent most of it trying to spot the various other sci-fi movie influences :)

I love the score etc. Can't wait for the next episode
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't expecting much if I'm honest but I was very pleasantly surprised. I spent most of it trying to spot the various other sci-fi movie influences :)

I love the score etc. Can't wait for the next episode

I wasn't expecting much either as it's taken a fair bit of criticism but I enjoyed it. Think it may be a bit too slow paced for the media critics.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting much either as it's taken a fair bit of criticism but I enjoyed it. Think it may be a bit too slow paced for the media critics.

I agree although I do think critics would have hated it no matter what.

I liked the pace of the show. Not every show needs to be in your face.

I found the scene where they were discussing a kill switch very disturbing
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you watching on amazon prime if so whats picture quality like? I do want to watch this but reluctant to pay £79. If it was monthly then I definitely would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided to try the 30 day trial. Watched the ep. Thought it was good. A bit like x files which I loved. Its not a non stop action kind of show. PQ wasn't fantastic but ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Are you watching on amazon prime if so whats picture quality like? I do want to watch this but reluctant to pay £79. If it was monthly then I definitely would.

In respect to Extant specifically, it's available in HD and the quality is comparable to the downloaded 720P version

Thing about prime personally is that it uses Microsoft Silverlight which occasionally doesn't play well with my PC (which is somewhat old) - so you really need to trial prime yourself to see

If you're gonna sign up for a free trial I'd wait till Extant is getting close to the end of the series so you can see it all in the window.

I think amazon are adding the episodes four days after the US airdate

Ah well - just too late with the advice sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In respect to Extant specifically, it's available in HD and the quality is comparable to the downloaded 720P version

Thing about prime personally is that it uses Microsoft Silverlight which occasionally doesn't play well with my PC (which is somewhat old) - so you really need to trial prime yourself to see

If you're gonna sign up for a free trial I'd wait till Extant is getting close to the end of the series so you can see it all in the window.

I think amazon are adding the episodes four days after the US airdate

Ah well - just too late with the advice sorry

Its ok. Was gonna wait until near the end of the show but decided to try it now. Watched it on 55inch tv but even though pic wasn't great, its certainly not the worst I've seen.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Amazon Prime gets the episodes the day after they air in the States.

PQ is absolutely fine, in HD at least. Can't really speak for the SD version.

Thought the opening episode was decent enough. A bit on the slow slide, but some interesting questions asked already which make me more than happy to tune in next week.

I got a bit of a Defying Gravity vibe from it - what with....
    the Agency having its own unspoken (to the Astronauts) agenda, and 'being in the know' to a degree that something is going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its ok. Was gonna wait until near the end of the show but decided to try it now. Watched it on 55inch tv but even though pic wasn't great, its certainly not the worst I've seen.

Apologies if this is stating the obvious - but it confused me when I first started so I thought I'd point it out....

When you're playing the stream there's a button on the toolbar labelled HD - that doesn't mean it's playing in HD - it just means it can play in HD. If you click on it it will give you the option to turn HD playback on and off

Thought I'd point this out as I can't remember if it's on by default or off.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Watched it on a 57" - in HD, PQ was absolutely fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this is stating the obvious - but it confused me when I first started so I thought I'd point it out....

When you're playing the stream there's a button on the toolbar labelled HD - that doesn't mean it's playing in HD - it just means it can play in HD. If you click on it it will give you the option to turn HD playback on and off

Thought I'd point this out as I can't remember if it's on by default or off.

Thanks for that. Might have watching in sd then.

Looked but don't see any button but I am watching on the tv not on my pc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. Might have watching in sd then.

Looked but don't see any button but I am watching on the tv not on my pc.

Ah right, I'll have to leave it to others to advise on that - I only ever watch via a pc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right, I'll have to leave it to others to advise on that - I only ever watch via a pc

Tried it through the ps4. It said HD but was greyed out. Don't know if that meant it was in HD or not.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as the boy robot doesn't end up having a dream about meeting its mum in the future, I'll be happy. :)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is Steven Spielberg's fascination with little kids? I don't mean that in a creepy way but he seems to do it in all his shows. I'm sure there was criticism of them in Falling Skies as well, goodness knows what else.