Options

Moffat is currently writing Xmas special.

2»

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Oh dear, you sound so bitter! :D You get quite defensive over Moffat, don't you?

I can only say what I hear from people who work in the business. Moffat is notoriously late with scripts (it really isn't a secret amongst other professionals!), it pisses off those who work with him but he gets away with it because of who he is. Hardly shattering news and hardly surprising.

Not bitter or defensive. Just weary of liars and fantasists who go on the internet and brag about 'insider knowledge' and connections in 'the business'.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    You only have to read a few pages of The Writer's Tale to know that late scripts have been a familiar occurrence with Who. Every other page is a delightfully chaotic 1am, chain-smoking panic.

Just be grateful that neither of them is George R.R. Martin :)
  • Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Alice in Wonderland themed Xmas special maybe?

Or something totally futuristic and separate from what they usually do at Christmas...
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Taken as a whole they are hit and miss, but some individual one's i've found far superior to a lot of the in series episodes. For example Last Christmas is my favourite Capaldi episode to date by far (and I even liked Clara in it, being one of about 3 episodes where she's actually nice rather than smug and overbearing), and The Christmas invasion and A Christmas carol rank in my top episodes for Tennant and Smith respectively.

A Christmas Carol is my favourite Matt Smith episode. Last Christmas is my favourite Peter Capaldi performance, and possibly my favourite story of his overall - I liked some stuff much better in Series 8 but as a whole I think it was the most satisfying story for me. I'm hoping my high hopes for Series 9 aren't too seriously misplaced. :)
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    A Christmas Carol is my favourite Matt Smith episode. Last Christmas is my favourite Peter Capaldi performance, and possibly my favourite story of his overall - I liked some stuff much better in Series 8 but as a whole I think it was the most satisfying story for me. I'm hoping my high hopes for Series 9 aren't too seriously misplaced. :)
    I'm trying to think of it at the moment as Last Christmas was the best Capaldi ep so far in my opinion, and it was the most recent one, so hopefully its a sign of a trend in improved quality overall. Clara traveling full time seems a good sign at least.

As for expectations, I try with any film/tv show not to have high expectations because if you go in with high expectations then sometimes it doesn't satisfy no matter how good, where as if you try to keep your expectations low then if it's good your pleasantly surprised. I'll admit it is hard to do with who though when I know how good the show can be and am hoping for another one of those classics every week.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    i really do not like the Christmas episodes, but maybe the BBC will break the habit and actually show a good one.

That's a bit odd to blame the BBC. Are you saying 'good ones' have been made but the BBC refused to show them?
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the 50th Anniversary Christmas special this year. Unfortunately the very first one is one we can't physically see, only hear with the telesnaps.

Anyone told Moffat that this year's Christmas special is a big one for the show? I hope he gets it right this year.
  • Options
    Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    I can't wait for the 50th Anniversary Christmas special this year. Unfortunately the very first one is one we can't physically see, only hear with the telesnaps.

Anyone told Moffat that this year's Christmas special is a big one for the show? I hope he gets it right this year.

Gets it right?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Gets it right?

Just ignore it. I know it's annoying when not a thread can go by without the usual suspects making the same usual off topic digs. But if you challenge them they get terribly upset. Quite why every bloody thread topic has to be an excuse to bash Moffat again is a question only they can answer. I happened to think Last Christmas was one of Moffats and indeed the shows best episodes. Certainly a vast improvement over tasteless, tacky, cheap and nasty b-movie knock off rubbish like Voyage of the Damned.
  • Options
    pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    You only have to read a few pages of The Writer's Tale to know that late scripts have been a familiar occurrence with Who. Every other page is a delightfully chaotic 1am, chain-smoking panic.
    Yeah wanting to get drunk every week probably didn't help either. Wasn't there some other way to pass the time in Cardiff? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Gets it right?

Yeah - gets it right like The Day Of The Doctor. It's an anniversary episode. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ignore it. I know it's annoying when not a thread can go by without the usual suspects making the same usual off topic digs. But if you challenge them they get terribly upset. Quite why every bloody thread topic has to be an excuse to bash Moffat again is a question only they can answer. I happened to think Last Christmas was one of Moffats and indeed the shows best episodes. Certainly a vast improvement over tasteless, tacky, cheap and nasty b-movie knock off rubbish like Voyage of the Damned.

Que? No me speak English....I feel the force is going bad with this one....:o
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    What about a story involving localised temporal anomalies in the Westminster area?

The story ends with the Tardis dematerialising as the new year's firework display begins, with a cameo by John Cleese saying it's exquisite.
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a story involving localised temporal anomalies in the Westminster area?

The story ends with the Tardis dematerialising as the new year's firework display begins, with a cameo by John Cleese saying it's exquisite.

Maybe the gravitational effect of a massively over-sized Tyrannosaur in close proximity to the Clock Tower in the late 1800's distorted space and time and caused the clock to go a bit wonky in 2015?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Maybe the gravitational effect of a massively over-sized Tyrannosaur in close proximity to the Clock Tower in the late 1800's distorted space and time and caused the clock to go a bit wonky in 2015?

Given the mechanism they use to keep the Clock "on time" (adding and removing coins from the pendulum) a T REX stomping around would have sent the clock wonky there and then, never mind 120 years later.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a giant Clockwork Droid... and it needs new parts.
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a giant Clockwork Droid... and it needs new parts.

(Sshhhh. ..don't put ideas in Moffats head.)
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There could be The Christmas Robots that put tinsel everywhere and The Doctor has to stop them as there is too much tinsel. Clara notices and informs The Doctor.

Clara- Doctor, look, something is shining.
    The Doctor- That's the stars, Clara
    Clara- No, Doctor, that's tinsel, tinsel everywhere.
    (Clara and The Doctor look around and see the tinsel on lamp posts, on houses, on trees)

:D
  • Options
    jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    There could be The Christmas Robots that put tinsel everywhere and The Doctor has to stop them as there is too much tinsel. Clara notices and informs The Doctor.

(Clara and The Doctor look around and see the tinsel on lamp posts, on houses, on trees)

Tinsel snakes! Cool, I can picture them slithering quietly from the trees and soundlessly wrapping themselves round their victims.. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jellyfish7 wrote:
    Tinsel snakes! Cool, I can picture them slithering quietly from the trees and soundlessly wrapping themselves round their victims.. :)

Tinsel snakes fall apart:D
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I wonder what's made DMW smile...

I'd love to see the return of Doctor 8, River, Captain Jack or all of the above for the Christmas special. I'm not one of those people who usually calls for the return of old characters but the Christmas episode is a good opportunity for them to do something a little different and it would be nice for them to make it a bit more of an 'event' episode especially with it following so closely after the end of series 9, and who know what 2016 will bring...

Ahhh so that's what made DMW smile... Well, one out of three ain't bad I guess :)
  • Options
    AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

Swap Clara for River Song... to be more accurate. ;-):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swap Clara for River Song... to be more accurate. ;-):p

River-Doctor, look, why aren't you looking? Something is shining.
    The Doctor- River, haven't you seen stars, woman?
    River-Christmas has come early, look at the tinsel everywhere.
    (River and The Doctor inspect the tinsel)