Holidaying Alone : Sad or Liberating ?

13»

Comments

• lovelifelovelife Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris123 wrote: »
    Just been searching for threads about going on holiday alone as I have been considering it for a few weeks now and finally caved this evening and have just booked a week away in Sharm El Sheikh, I have booked an all inclusive in one of the resorts and currently have no worries about being alone (except in the evenings!!) During the day I plan on going diving in the Red Sea, quad biking and any other trips that take my fancy and staying by the pool. Will also check out the gym and may even treat myself to message to try and get myself to relax!

As I say as I will be in a resort mainly filled with families and couples I am planning on taking my laptop with some movies and stuff on as a back up if there is no one about. I'm not really going for the sights, night life etc, just need to feel that I have had a week away from sorting out day to day things and this was a surpassingly cheap holiday.

Good for you - go for it. I have just got back from two weeks in the states on my own at a glorious east coast beach - was wonderful.

I like the peace and quiet, deciding what I wanted to do and when I wanted to do it and having that freedom (I deal with a lot of people in my work so it was nice to have that peace)

Booked and had two massages whilst I was there and met some lovely friendly locals who took me to a cuople of places too.

I travelled in style (upgraded on Virgin really cheaply) and just had a blast.

So much so I have just reserved to be booked next week a week away at a 5 star hotel in Malta in November......

Mine is a vote for the liberating feel - especially as it has taken me two years to do it.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIBERATING!! Go for it-you will love the solitude and peace and quiet , just doing what you want, when you want....................
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIBERATING!! Go for it-you will love the solitude and peace and quiet , just doing what you want, when you want....................

Very liberating. I have travelled all over the world on my own. Just been able to do what the hell you want without discussion, negotiation or argument with anyone else - you also meet more people when you travel alone. It's amazing how many people you see on holiday who seem to spend half of their time arguing over what to do ("I want to go the beach. I want to go shopping")
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liberating.

None of that "studying the menu" nonsense outside 20 identical restaurants on the trot as nobody can decide what / where they want to eat before finally everyone decides they're hungry and will just eat at the next restaurant you come to! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a holiday on my own booked for September to Greece. I'd love to have someone to go with, but I haven't, so why sit at home on my own?

I'm really looking forward to it. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll have a week of being a bit bored and reading a lot of books, and I'd rather do that in sunny Greece than rainy England. Bit worried about the night/eating thing, but contrary to what others have advised in this thread, mine is because I am self catering, and so will have to go out and sit in a restaurant on my own - which is a bit daunting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never gone away alone for the whole trip, but there has been times when I've travelled over somewhere in the morning and had the day to myself before meeting up with friends in the evening... I've loved it, especially in cities. Can go shopping, sightseeing, can visit art galleries... can take things at your own pace rather than trying to suit someone else. I've been chatted up a fair few times as well...

Both of my brothers regularly go away on their own and they love it. I kind of feel that it's easier for guys though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I did was book myself a holiday. I've never been on holiday on my own before, but my mates are all coupled up/have no money so I thought why not, and booked myself a for a week in Majorca at the end of aug. I'm really looking forward to it, just to catch some sun, and relax a bit before the serious job hunting begins and I get desperate for work!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to it. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll have a week of being a bit bored and reading a lot of books, and I'd rather do that in sunny Greece than rainy England. Bit worried about the night/eating thing, but contrary to what others have advised in this thread, mine is because I am self catering, and so will have to go out and sit in a restaurant on my own - which is a bit daunting.

Eating alone doesn't bother me - but I do travel a lot for work alone so I'm used to it. Just take a book to read.

If you are a daunted by the prospect then find somewhere where you can eat at the bar so there will be other people around and you won't feel so alone. You'll be suprised how many solo travellers you will meet.

I've been told I'm odd to go on holiday alone, but this mostly by people who take a week off work then stop at home watching DVD boxsets or redecorating the kitchen. I know what I'd rather be doing.
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad to discover this thread - I've been with my OH for 10 years and we've decided to split up - one of the things that concerned me most about this was the thought of going on holiday alone. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my own company but have never travelled alone (except flights) so it'll be weird but this thread has proved it is doable and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks!
  • Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess going alone means that you have to be prepared in your own mind that if you are bored than YOU need to do something about it.

I know I will probably get bored quickly so I have had to plan (theoretically ) what I will do each day (morning, afternoon, evening) so that so that when I get there it’s not just one long week alone, don’t care if I follow the plan or not but at least I know. Have been doing some research to find out about what there is to do... or at least found out where I can go to find out about things to do.

Only booked my week away 24 hours ago but have already sent a number of emails to find out about trips. Just seen a three day diving trip, when I did this is Aus it was full of people that were travelling alone and so would be a good start to meet people... will arrange that as soon as I get there.

For the evenings (because I still have doubts I will have the confidence that I will be able to go to a bar alone etc) I have got a few films on a laptop. Hope I don't watch them but they are there as a back up.

It’s these little things that have allowed me to think going away by myself will be a liberating time and not a lonely time.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived away in france for a year because of work. I lived in an absolutely beautiful place, and went out walking round the towns each weekend to really see the sights. I was so lonely though. I rarely met people, and when I did I never felt comfortable. I'm not the most outgoing person with strangers, and canot start up a conversation without looking like desperately needy person. So I don't do it anymore. I just wanted to be with friends the whole time.
    The thought of going on holiday alone fills me with dread. I'd end up retreating into my room and not going out anywhere, until it was time to go home again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I live quite a solitary life anyway and wouldn't have any qualms about Holidaying alone (although I've never done it).
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I went to Hong Kong on my first holiday alone in May for 10 days and had a brill time. I did everything that I had planned and still had time to do other things. Asking people if they mind taking a photo of you is a great way to start a convo. I agree about the eating alone but I got used to it towards the end of my holiday.

Anyway, I enjoyed holiday on my tod so much that I'm next off to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore in mid Aug for two weeks. :D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    Anyway, I enjoyed holiday on my tod so much that I'm next off to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore in mid Aug for two weeks. :D:cool:

I was in KL on my own last year and had a great time - one of the friendliest and safest places I have ever been to. Three days is probably enough for the city then you should get out and see the rest of the country - internal flights, buses and trains are all excellent value.

One of the best things about Malaysia is the food - a great mix of Malay, Thai, Indian and Chinese influences and all ridiculously cheap. Eat at the night markets (especially around Bukit Bintang) and you can get amazing dishes for about a pound - and if you don't like something then it's so cheap you can just order something else. The only thing which isn't cheap is alcohol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazy idea folks, but some of you that aren't too sure about going abroad alone on this thread - why not chat to your fellow DS'ers on this thread and perhaps arrange to go to the same place and meet up? You'd still be travelling alone but you could stay in the same apartments / hotel or whatever wherever you decide to go wouldn't you?
    You wouldn't even have to do the same activities in the day but you could combat the "evening lonliness" by meeting your DS companion for dinner and drinks! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I heart this thread <3

I'm a holiday loner and I love it! IMO nothing beats the freedom of not having to ask, answer to, or argue with anyone (yup you guessed it I'm single, and very happy!).

Been on holiday several times on my own - Andalucia, Yucatec Peninsular, Prague, Crete - as my friends are either married or permanently paired up and refuse to go anywhere without their OH (whoever he or she happens to be at the time lol) :rolleyes: who is never able to go when and where I would like. I don't earn much by anyone's standards but I save up all my spare money and I've been able to get some fantastic holidays with it. Was due to have 10 days in Italy (Puglia to be exact) in June but unfortunate circumstances forced me to have to cancel it.

Still, I'd love to find a like minded individual to go on holiday with, (any takers lol? ;p) because sometimes it would be nice to go out in the evenings, which I wouldn't feel safe doing alone. I generally don't mix with the other holidaymakers (not by choice; for some reason people seem to be suspicious of a single woman...or perhaps I smell bad???) so I invariably end up in my room by 10pm, reading or watching TV.

But still, if I never find anyone else to holiday with, not going out partying is only a small price to pay for the huge benefit of being independent.
    Forum Member
    VickiGri wrote: »
    crazy idea folks, but some of you that aren't too sure about going abroad alone on this thread - why not chat to your fellow DS'ers on this thread and perhaps arrange to go to the same place and meet up? You'd still be travelling alone but you could stay in the same apartments / hotel or whatever wherever you decide to go wouldn't you?
    You wouldn't even have to do the same activities in the day but you could combat the "evening lonliness" by meeting your DS companion for dinner and drinks! :)

lol that's what I was thinking but not saying!

Hey Vicki, wanna meet up in Oslo in November? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Having read through this thread, has anyone else ever gone on holiday with Explore or Exodus? They have some great holidays to fabulous locations and so far I've been really lucky with both companies and had a brilliant time and made good friends on each trip, some of whom I'm still in contact with on a more or less regular basis! It's a great way to go on holiday as a single person, and have company at the same time.

What I love is that they don't pressure you at all - the only time I went on a Solos holiday I felt horribly guilty for not going on all the excursions they kept pushing at us, at vast additional expense, and insisting on making my own choices. The holiday cost enough as it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol that's what I was thinking but not saying!

Hey Vicki, wanna meet up in Oslo in November? ;)

thanks for the offer Eric however I am currently living in America with my hubby and there's lots of places for us to investigate here! :) Plus Oslo is a bit of a way....;):):p
    In all seriousness though I think it would be a cool idea for some of the folks to meet up from this thread though, PMs could take place, they could get to know eachother better and decide on a place to go and meet up.
    Could be a plan! :D
  • Matt_TaylorMatt_Taylor Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Another vote for 'Liberating' here, as strange as it may sound I spent a number holidays alone while I was married and the freedom was nice, but the most liberating holiday I ever had was shortly after my wife and I split up which enabled me to have the freedom of being alone without the guilt of leaving someone at home.
    Forum Member
    VickiGri wrote: »
    thanks for the offer Eric however I am currently living in America with my hubby and there's lots of places for us to investigate here! :) Plus Oslo is a bit of a way....;):):p
    In all seriousness though I think it would be a cool idea for some of the folks to meet up from this thread though, PMs could take place, they could get to know eachother better and decide on a place to go and meet up.
    Could be a plan! :D

I'd certainly be up for it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a good idea Eric..get it sorted! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I love holidaying on my own. Have done so a few times, being single.

Its great. You get to do what you want without having to argue or negotiate. It gives you time to yourself which we all need as well.

Many of my acquaintences (note -not friends) and work colleagues think Im crazy, but many of them, especially the singles, take a week of work and just sit at home watching TV / sleep or doing boring things they would normally during their normal working week. I know what Id rather do. Some also think Im weird for holidaying solo, but I just think its just jealousy. Most won't even go down the local pub on their own - they call me weird if I do this. I just think they lack any character!

Go for it, and enjoy your holiday. The good thing is that if you're open to it, you'll probs meet more people than you would if you had ggone with someone else.

Enjoy.
  • stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a holiday on my own booked for September to Greece. I'd love to have someone to go with, but I haven't, so why sit at home on my own?

can i ask how old you are betty?
  • Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris123 wrote: »
    Just been searching for threads about going on holiday alone as I have been considering it for a few weeks now and finally caved this evening and have just booked a week away in Sharm El Sheikh, I have booked an all inclusive in one of the resorts and currently have no worries about being alone (except in the evenings!!) During the day I plan on going diving in the Red Sea, quad biking and any other trips that take my fancy and staying by the pool. Will also check out the gym and may even treat myself to message to try and get myself to relax!

As I say as I will be in a resort mainly filled with families and couples I am planning on taking my laptop with some movies and stuff on as a back up if there is no one about. I'm not really going for the sights, night life etc, just need to feel that I have had a week away from sorting out day to day things and this was a surpassingly cheap holiday.

Well I have just returned from my week away and I have to say I loved it!

I was nervous about staying at an all inclusive that is aimed at families but I think that it made it much better for me.

The only time I ate alone was at breakfast and even then it was only for a quick brekkie and then to the sun lounger! For lunch and dinner I would eat with people that I met and in the evenings I ended up at the 'English' hangout where there would be loads of couples who you could very easily start talking to and ended up being there for hours.

Anybody wanting to go alone I would have to say go for it. For me I think 2 weeks may have been a bit long but I could have done an extra 3 or 4 days.