Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    jude007 wrote: »
    I really do hope they lose their jobs. The guy has been really plugging this "great plank" on his twitter and having a good laugh about it. Sure he is not laughing now

he should shut his twitter account down immediately....

{{{SHOCKED}}}

well Michael Christian sure has made "international news" now...

may that poor woman rest in peace :(:(:(
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor woman [+ her family]. RIP :(
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how it's the DJs fault that she has committed suicide. I have to question where the support for her was and what sort of reaction her superiors had when this mistake happened.

Typical right wing media sheep always looking for an easy scapegoat instead of answering serious questions.

Quite. And particularly when the details at present are so sketchy and no one knows the circs surrounding her death.

Terribly sad though if it's related to fallout from the call.

ETA: apparently it's the nurse, not the receptionist.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    What a terrible outcome. The so-called 'comedians' will have this on their conscience for a long time. It was a pathetic, intrusive 'prank' and they've been giggling about it on Twitter all week.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be feeling very sick right now if I was one of those DJs.

Nobody could have anticipated this happening but that's the risk of making a stupid prank - if you start playing games at the expense of others then sometimes it can escalate very quickly beyond your control.

It seems like a very drastic and bizarre turn of events though. Most people would probably be able to laugh this off eventually. There must have been deeper-running issues in going on.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The DJ's are also to blame. Yes maybe she did require further support from her superiors.

It was these DJ's that put her on the air and made her look a fool and maybe it was all "just for a laugh", but its a laugh that has costs someone their life and hopefully these DJ's jobs.

No they are not!

The hospital clearly had poor systems in place - who knows how they reacted to the embarassment of it. They attract high end clients who want anonymity and privacy - it could have cost them bookings/

Arguably the DJs exposed how poor and weak their systems were.
  • timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is very sad, of course she may have had other issues before the phone call but at the end of the day it was a small error particularly given the involvement of the royal family and I expect the Queen probably has phoned the hospital personally before. It was very difficult having this small error in all the media constantly on every channel and paper and being embarrassed in front of everyone you work with, all your family and the whole world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? those saying its not their fault clearly she was given a warning or been told about security patient confidentiality etc etc and was probably hassled by media etc.

Its very tragic.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    this is very sad, of course she may have had other issues before the phone call but at the end of the day it was a small error particularly given the involvement of the royal family and I expect the Queen probably has phoned the hospital personally before. It was very difficult having this small error in all the media constantly on every channel and paper and being embarrassed in front of everyone you work with, all your family and the whole world.

Yes, it was a global sort of humiliation. Horrible.
  • timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    No they are not!

The hospital clearly had poor systems in place - who knows how they reacted to the embarassment of it. They attract high end clients who want anonymity and privacy - it could have cost them bookings/

Arguably the DJs exposed how poor and weak their systems were.

I agree the hospital and its staff made mistakes but it was only the two people who answered the call that were highlighted in the media incessantly whilst the two radio DJ's reveled in their prank joking about it on twitter and on their show the next day. The DJ's not only could jeopardize the careers of the two people answering the call but also a gross invasion of Kate's privacy when she was ill and probably very worried as a first time expecting mother.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How utterly tragic. It seems she was a mother and wife. I'm desperately sad for her family.

Also distressing for Kate I imagine who might feel this only came about because of her illness.

I loathe these kind of prank calls form Tv and radio, they're not funny, very outdated and thrive on humiliation in the workplace which is never funny, IMO.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I think it would be harsh to take that view without knowing the facts. We don't know the situation regarding phone calls at that hospital. For all we know The Queen had called the hospital before. Her husband has spent a lot of time there remember and she never visited him in person. Perhaps she had a habit of calling in instead. And remember, two people handled the call, not just one. The initial person who picked up the phone and the person who the call was transferred to.

That is definitely true. As I said at the time though, procedures have to be followed, especially in areas of patient confidentiality. It's very sad that it's led to someone believing they have no other way out than to take their own life though.
    I really do hope they lose their jobs. The guy has been really plugging this "great plank" on his twitter and having a good laugh about it. Sure he is not laughing now

I'm guessing they'll have to resign at least. As I say though, I can't see as there's anything else that can be done.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the hospital and its staff made mistakes but it was only the two people who answered the call that were highlighted in the media incessantly whilst the two radio DJ's reveled in their prank joking about it on twitter and on their show the next day. The DJ's not only could jeopardize the careers of the two people answering the call but also a gross invasion of Kate's privacy when she was ill and probably very worried as a first time expecting mother.

Well said.

There were a lot of people at fault including these two DJ's and no one should be excusing their role in this tragedy.
  • di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    The DJ's are also to blame. Yes maybe she did require further support from her superiors.

It was these DJ's that put her on the air and made her look a fool and maybe it was all "just for a laugh", but its a laugh that has costs someone their life and hopefully these DJ's jobs.

all that her "superiors" will give a sh!t about is the 'reputation' to the hospital, and the 'cost' to any future 'royal births'.... the thought that they would "support" a 'night receptionist' over that is laughable..

I believe the call came through at 5.30am the poor woman was probably at the end of a 12 hour shift and half asleep...

It'll all be nicely swept under the carpet.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP to that poor nurse - she must have had other issues, I hope this is not purely down to this ill-judged telephone prank.

Bet all of this hasn't made Kate feel any better either!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    oh thats absolutely shocking. poor woman, RIP
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    When I heard the prank call I thought it was pretty funny and was laughing away. Now I feel like a total dick. Wow, that is truly terrible news. Can't imagine what those 2 DJ's are feeling right now, I think we can safely say they'll be fired from their station. RIP to the woman. I wonder if it was purely over the prank call or that she had other issues and this stunt just sent her over the edge :(
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Geneve wrote: »
    On Catherine has been found dead... not good :(
    Goaty wrote: »

Jesus wept! :eek:

That poor poor girl must have come under some astonishingly severe pressure at work from management and/or police and/or government officials and/or the palace.

Quite a few people (including the stupid Aussie pranksters) are going to have to live with that on their conscience, by the look of things at this early stage. :mad:

The odd thing is, I don't think most people (including me) thought the prank was much of a big deal...
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave a message and let them know what you think on the 2Day FM website where they still have a big feature about the hilarious prank call that 'the world is talking about', and loads of comments from brain dead Aussies who are moaning that the British have no sense of humour.
    Idiots.
    http://www.2dayfm.com.au/the-dirt/blog/biggest-royal-prank-ever/
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Michael Christian certainly seems very proud of the #RoyalPrank on his Twitter account.

I imagine there will be some apologizing/ hasty Tweet deleting tonight.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's the betting that these two eejits are missing from today's edition of their show??
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    While this is a terrible tragedy and I feel terribly sad for the poor woman and her family, I really don't think it's very fair to start dragging the DJs to the gallows over this.

Yes, what they did was stupid and irresponsible, but who could honestly say that they could predict that somebody would commit suicide over a prank phonecall? It's all very easy when you have hindsight on your side, but seriously - who would ever stop and take that in mind as a possible consequence of a prank?

Any action we partake in could, potentially, lead somebody to such drastic action, especially if they are already prone to such behaviour, which I would suspect this poor lady was due to her drastic and tragic actions. You could, theoretically, have inspired somebody to commit suicide this morning by being a bit snappy to the till girl when you were buying your newspaper, or when you cut in front of somebody in the queue in the bank or took the last parking space. It's very easy to get carried away in outrage in the face of grief but who could honestly predict or even imagine that somebody could take their own life as the result of being caught up in a prank phone call?

It's a desperately, horribly sad story and my thoughts go out to the poor woman, but practically calling for the electric chair for two people whose silly and disrespectful prank came to such a bizarrely unexpected conclusion isn't entirely fair, in my opinion. What they did was utterly reproachable and they should be taken to task for this whole, ill-advised debacle, but you can't condemn them as if you honestly believe anybody could have possibly predicted this thing would take such an unfortunate turn. They'll punish themselves over this for a long time, the guilt will never leave them. Perhaps rightly so. But don't act like you've never done anything silly without thinking about the potential consequences - especially the most wildly unlikely ones.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    What's the betting that these two eejits are missing from today's edition of their show??

It finished several hours ago Aussie time and they were still talking about it!

I don't want to blame them completely, though, as the receptionists action was not the action of a woman with robust mental health.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how it's the DJs fault that she has committed suicide. I have to question where the support for her was and what sort of reaction her superiors had when this mistake happened.

Typical right wing media sheep always looking for an easy scapegoat instead of answering serious questions.

thats right.they just had a bit of fun.there was no harm in it.the woman who killed herself must have had something wrong with her in the first place to do this.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this in SHOWBIZ?

There is already a thread on this running under Discussion.
    It's certainly not Showbiz.