Snow next week

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    'the beast from the east' is an old saying, it was around on weather forums at least ten years ago when i first joined them.

erm... last years 'beast from the east' certainly wasnt a damp squib... it gave us the coldest march ever!

I suppose it depends on which part of the country you are. I don't remember anything remarkable about last March's weather in Manchester, or even seeing much on the news about country-wide disruption, like currently when there's pictures of flooded homes on the news every night. I'll maybe have to do a search to see if anything jogs my memory.

I'd never heard of this beast until the Express splashed it everywhere last year. Is it lots of different beasts, or is it the same one coming back every year?
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    It was blowing a blizzard here this morning and had a good covering but the sun came out and it's all away but slippy as hell. I'm in the south west of Scotland
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is snow predicted anytime soon here in London? It's kind of mild at present
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we ever gonna get snow. This time 2 years ago we had it around about now
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My snow is just melting but the hills still have tons
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I've seen one morning's worth of snow, which was light and melted very quickly, this winter.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Are we ever gonna get snow. This time 2 years ago we had it around about now

I wouldn't wish for it! Snow is a nuisance. I doubt it'll happen now. We had the storms instead.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A disappointing winter as far as snow is concerned here. Only 2 brief snow flurries, none of which settled on the ground.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A disappointing winter as far as snow is concerned here. Only 2 brief snow flurries, none of which settled on the ground.

Yeah, same here in Leeds.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we are gonna get anymore snow? Really hope we don't. Its certainly been the complete opposite of last year.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can clearly remember that one Easter a few years ago when it was snowing (in London at least). I just can't recall exactly which year it was! About 2 or 3 years I think.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I can clearly remember that one Easter a few years ago when it was snowing (in London at least). I just can't recall exactly which year it was! About 2 or 3 years I think.

Last year we had a day of snow in the Easter holidays. Can't remember the year before that but 3 years ago was baking, one of the hottest Aprils on record.

The contrast between Feb half term this year and last year is chalk and cheese. Last year we had loads of snow and it was barely above freezing. This year, in the SE at least, it's been very mild and spring like

*Edit* Just googled and it seems April 2013 - coldest on record. April 2012 - One of the wettest on record. April 2011 - Warmest for 100 years. Crazy weather
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was last year me and a friend was driving around Lakeside and talking about the time an Easter egg had melted in the car because it was so hot and comparing it to the snowy day that day. It was snowing into March in London. I went to my friend's mum's funeral and it was freezing. Everything felt like three months behind last year.

See, I was right lol :)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, April 2008 there was heavy snow. My friends son had his 3rd birthday party and the photos show her garden thick with snow.
    The previous year, we'd been in t shirts in the garden on his birthday
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Also, April 2008 there was heavy snow. My friends son had his 3rd birthday party and the photos show her garden thick with snow.
    The previous year, we'd been in t shirts in the garden on his birthday

I remember that. Didn't last too long here as it melted quite quickly in the sunshine.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last year in mid March the Channel Islands had a massive amount of snow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-21752040
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYZwuA9H40
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on snow
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    The jetstream shows no sign of doing anything radically different, so there's no snow on the horizon (unless you are in the Highlands/Cairngorms). I'd be quite content to go a winter without snow/freezing temperatures. I've had the heating on so little this year!
  • Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the date of the original post, guys.

It was created in January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently London is getting some tomorrow but I don't think so tbh
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woke up to nice clear blue skies and it's warm... totally looks like Spring has arrived..
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Apparently London is getting some tomorrow but I don't think so tbh

When you say apparently, do you mean you read the Daily Express? :o If so then that'll be a no.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Leeah wrote: »
    Woke up to nice clear blue skies and it's warm... totally looks like Spring has arrived..

Yup. Lovely sunny spring day here!