Options

What is your favourite decade for music?

Comments

• Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seventies, only music I mainly play, such a diverse decade: :cool:

Reggae, Ska, Motown, Funk, 12" Disco, Rappers leading to Hey You Rocksteady Crews in the 8o's, House etc.

Elvis, Progressive, Rock (so many brilliant bands), Glam Rock, Electronic (Kraftwerk) ,Punk Rock leading to new romantics in the 80's, Electronic Pop

Some of these catagories started in the 60's though and progressed through the 70's.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 80's are winning this for the simple reason it was the decade when pop music really found itself and saw the birth of so many of the music genres that remain dominant to this day.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 80's for me, especially synth music, it sounded like the future.

Made a promise to myself in my early adulthood that I would try to not sound like my parents when I got older and start moaning about the quality of today's music. Think I have mostly kept to this promise, although it has been tempting to moan at times.

There's still lots of music output nowadays that I like, the only difference now is that very little of this music gets into the top 40.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Music died about 1975 , as far as the 80s is concerned its the decade taste forgot

Totally agree. :)
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    The 90s for me.

I was born in 1984 so I'd have to go with this 90s too
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll doesn't go back far enough for me - 1930s/40s (Glenn Miller and the like).
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born 1973, so generationally late 80's early 90's - but, the music from that era is dull, tedious, boring and monotonous when compared to the inventive, original and intelligent music from the 60's - late 60's in particular - which I grew to love as my Dad played it so often.

I wish I'd been born 20 or 25 years earlier so I'd been a young person in the 1960's - what a time to have been around !!!
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Poll doesn't go back far enough for me - 1930s/40s (Glenn Miller and the like).

Al Bowlly?
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2000's for but I also love the late 1990's too. I currently have one massive playlist on my phone that consists of 90's/00's music & a lot of chart music & top 40's.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in 1965 so was a child of the 70's and most of the groups I like and albums I listen to are from the 70's (or early 80's, but groups started in the 70's) such as Rainbow, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, UFO, Mott the Hoople, Slade, The Sweet, Deep Purple, Accept, Scorpions, Kiss, AC/DC, Motorhead etc
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 70's, it was like a mad hangover from the 60s.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born 1973 but the 80's were my musical decade and had happy memories of the eighties.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sixties - the Beatles, the Who, the Stones, the Doors, CCR, Simon & Garfunkel, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Mamas and Papas, the Kinks, Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane..... what a phenomenal decade. Followed by the seventies. Personally I think music has got steadily worse and it shows no signs of picking up.

It can only be the 60's for all of the above plus Dusty, the Hollies, Animals, Beachboys, and so it goes on .....

Edit - All Motown and soul as well, of course.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1947 - 1951
    1955 -1957
    1966 - 1969
    1975- 1978
    1982- 1984
    1989-1992
    1996- 1999
    2002- 2005

stick that in the poll if you can :D
    You'll be the one being told where to stick it :D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It's a no brainer for me, depending on what sort of music you like. The 80's soul, jazz funk, electro etc.

However, you could argue the 70's, as this is when Kraftwerk became recognized and they have influenced much of modern day electronic music, being years ahead of their time.

For instance, apart from using speech recognition systems and vocoders, before many of us were even born and PCs and the internet were virtually unknown in the consumer market, they produced a song called 'computer love', i.e. referring to internet dating.
    wikipedia wrote:
    In the 1970s and early 1980s, Kraftwerk's distinctive sound was revolutionary, and has had a lasting effect across many genres of modern music.[2][3][4] According to The Observer, "no other band since the Beatles has given so much to pop culture" and a wide range of artists have been influenced by their music and image.[5] In January 2014 the Grammy Academy honored Kraftwerk with a Lifetime Achievement Award.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk - Computer Love
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWTUt2RZh0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk#Influence_on_other_musicians
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I voted '80s' but the 1780s. Mozart was at the height of his already prodigious powers in Vienna and produced a stream of remarkable masterpieces (concertos, trios, quartets, quintets, operas, symphonies) one after the other until his death in 1791.

The sheer fecundity of his imagination and his (seemingly) effortless production of masterpiece after masterpiece in late 18th century Vienna remains one of the greatest, and most inexplicable, achievements in human history.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Music died about 1975 , as far as the 80s is concerned its the decade taste forgot

Wow, so wrong. You've dissmised so much good music with such a sweeping statement.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted '80s' but the 1780s. Mozart was at the height of his already prodigious powers in Vienna and produced a stream of remarkable masterpieces (concertos, trios, quartets, quintets, operas, symphonies) one after the other until his death in 1791.

The sheer fecundity of his imagination and his (seemingly) effortless production of masterpiece after masterpiece in late 18th century Vienna remains one of the greatest, and most inexplicable, achievements in human history.

No not for me - give me the 1960's any day - so much variety. I do enjoy a bit of Strauss though.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My era was 89 really, Stone Roses, Manchester, early rave stuff. At the time it felt more like 90s music.

However the older I get, and particularly with looking at old performances on YouTube, The 60s was really amazing musically, is the truly "classic" music decade, with the focus I guess being 66-70, but some great tunes in the years before, from the UK and Us (especially classic Motown)

The seventies was probably the most experimental decade, The 60 was the most "classic" decade. Guess that's why I liked the 89 Stone Roses so much they semed to combine the best of the 60s as 70s (funky punks, lippy hippies) with a nod to the rave culture of the time.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Born 1973, so generationally late 80's early 90's - but, the music from that era is dull, tedious, boring and monotonous when compared to the inventive, original and intelligent music from the 60's - late 60's in particular - which I grew to love as my Dad played it so often.

I wish I'd been born 20 or 25 years earlier so I'd been a young person in the 1960's - what a time to have been around !!!

What exactly does 'intelligent music' mean?

Have previously seen this term used by music snobs in an attempt to assert that the music they like is somehow superior. Music is a creative art form and I can't really see where intelligence comes into it.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know... I kind of like all of them.
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    70s for me, maybe because it reminds me of childhood/teenage years, but I'm sure everything really was much more laid back and mellow then. Seventies music makes me happy :)
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted the 60s ,but the 70s is a very close 2nd
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My era was 89 really, Stone Roses, Manchester, early rave stuff. At the time it felt more like 90s music.

yeah this was one of my favourite eras too but I class it as early 90's which was when it hit it's commercial peak, when we had the Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, The Farm, EMF and James all on the scene.

which for me was part the reason why I chose the 90's as my favourite era for music. The other being the brilliant Brtipop era from the mid 90's eg Pulp, Blur, Oasis, Suede, Cast, supergrass, Ocean Colour scene,

There was the grunge/ alternative rock scene too with classic albums from Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins.

the 90's was also the decade of my all time favourite album : Violator - Depeche Mode.

I am not a big dance music fan but the 90's was surely the pinnacle for this genre?, where we had early 90's rave music leading to the Ibiza scene in the late 90's.

Finally there was excellent the Bristol Trip- Hop scene with bands such as Massive Attack, Portishead and Tricky.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved the 00's too which came a close 2nd with the Arctic Monkeys, Libertines, Fratellis, Editors, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Strokes, White Stripe, Interpol, Bloc Party to name a few, which was bit like the Brit pop scene part 2. Another great era for music.

..........depressingly though what has happened to the 10's? I have only bought a handful of new albums. The music scene really seems to have died this decade. The only interesting band for me of recent times has been Royal Blood.