Options

Teletext pen.

Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
Forum Member
Posting this on behalf of a friend.

Back in the day when Teletext had a letters page, this is one of two pens he won as a prize for having the letter of the month. He sold one to a collector at the time (early 00's) for £200. Does anyone have a clue what this might be worth now and where the best place to sell it would be?

Here is a picture
http://i.imgur.com/UBuqOQA.jpg
It's in perfect condition though the ink has dried up.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    He was probably lucky to get even £200 for it - that's the still current Teletext logo (now used by Teletext Holidays), so by the time your friend won that pen, teletext (Teletext and Ceefax) was already dying out due to digital switchover.

You got the date wrong too - it's not early 2000s, as that logo was only introduced in 2007.
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Ah so it's really not going to be worth that much then? It looks like a really nice pen.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends how keen someone is to have it, it there were only two (and it is in mint condition) then someone might pay silly money. Even if a lot were made then most will have been lost.

Have you done a search online to see if any others have been sold?

The only way to find out is to put on that well know auction site with a high reserve price.

You could also have a look around to see if there are any web sites or forums for collectors of novelty pens.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to have a collectable like that. I watched some of the programme 50 Greatest FA Cup Moments on BBC Three last night. One of the moments involved Ceefax and how Wycombe Wanderers advertised for a striker via the teletext prior to their Quarter Final against Leicester City during their famous run to the Semi's in 2000/01 season. It reminded me of how good Ceefax was and I used to read the sports news, read the TV viewers letters sharing their opinions of TV shows and the problems page. i also used to play Bamboozle on Channel 4 teletext.