Foundation for mature skin

MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need a good foundation for my old face :)

I have a wedding in a few weeks and I want to cover up my thread veins and blotches and try to achieve a lovely, even skintone. My skin is very dry too.

Can anybody recommend a good coverage, non drying, foundation?

Thanks

Comments

• dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use M&S LIMITED collection foundation. Very cheap and good coverage. I do use ALDI face cream and ASDA sun cream for face underneath it. My skin always feels comfortable with all the moisturisers. I also use a cream blusher or a bit of lipstick instead if I am out of blusher. Always go for lighter foundation than you think, far more flattering and you can warm up your cheeks with blusher.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,930
    Forum Member
    Mineral powder foundations cover well and look quite natural.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an "Auld Burd" now and I don't wear make-up everyday. The foundations I have are Aldi Lacura BB cream ( not always in Aldi but more of a stuff aisle item - I grab a couple when I spot them) and Boots No7 Youthful CC cream - light/ medium coverage. I also use a cream blusher from Aldi or a touch of lippy if I don't have any blusher. I use touche eclat (chrimbo and birthday pressies from mostly well trained daughters) or boots same thing on any dark circles or bits

I do slosh lots of moisturiser on my face, neck and that bit of your chest that can go all wrinkly and look like loose chicken skin with goose pimples. I also use one of my daughters exfoliating stuff from time to time. It feels like loads of little tiny balls coated in cream going over your skin. I have no idea what it's called as she, unlike her old mum buys the expensive make up and face cream stuff. She hasn't left it in the bathroom for ages - naughty daughter.

You could go to Boots and ask one of the make up ladies for some tips on choosing the right foundation for you. That's what I did when Himself and I were away for the weekend and I forgot my make-up. It was a surprise for me and he had done all the packing and forgot my make-up bag.

I have no idea what BB or CC stands for.
  • MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies ladies, I never even thought of Aldi :o nor raiding my daughter :D

Will do both ;-)

Plus have a £50 M&S voucher, in which I will mooch around in tomorrow
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a free sample of Clinique CC cream and I have to say it works wonders on my skin and I will be buying the full size version. It's also moisturising and SPF30. Fabulous stuff.

CC stands for colour correctIon and BB is blemish balm.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Yes, I would go for a BB or CC cream, or even a tinted moisturiser with extra concealer and a brush of powder where you need it. So much more flattering for dry or mature skins... Although am sure you don't need it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a free sample of Clinique CC cream and I have to say it works wonders on my skin and I will be buying the full size version. It's also moisturising and SPF30. Fabulous stuff.

Ah, I didn't know that, thank you :)
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Yes, I would go for a BB or CC cream, or even a tinted moisturiser with extra concealer and a brush of powder where you need it. So much more flattering for dry or mature skins... Although am sure you don't need it :)

I have some tinted moisturiser and I have some Bare Escentuals powders that I find a bit of a faff but the occasion is special enough for a bit of faffing :D Maybe I'll look for a good concealer and erradicate all the imperfections, which seem to appear daily :D

Bless you ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Venus in Flares - I couldn't for the life of me work out what BB and CC meant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MillyC wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't know that, thank you :)

I have some tinted moisturiser

;-)

I used a tinted moisturiser well into my 40's as foundation. I didn't like how some/most foundations felt and looked on my skin. The two I mentioned above don't feel heavy or clagy or greasy on my skin.

I think that YOU feel good and think you look great are the most important things for the up an coming wedding.

I do hope you find all suggestions useful.

x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you have the right moisturiser first. Otherwise, you could spend £££ on the finest foundation and it'll still look terrible.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently changed to mineral powders from Bare minerals. I had been using their powder concealer for some time and it's very good. They had an offer on In Debenhams where you got a whole kit of powder, bronzer, primer, mineral veil and 3 excellent brushes so I went for it. It is very natural looking and easy and quick to brush on. there are several examples on You Tube.

For mature skin it's all about cleansing and also keeping out of the sun. I have pretty good skin for my age because I was never a sun worshipper but friends who sunbathed in their younger years have skin like old lumps of leather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I'm also a big fan of the No7 Youthful CC Cream, it gives a nice coverage (their BB Cream is also good). Skincare-wise, I am grateful for the day I found Caroline Hirons site at http://www.carolinehirons.com/, my skin has never been better ( and that's something at the age of 50, lol!)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a wedding in a few weeks and I want to cover up my thread veins and blotches and try to achieve a lovely, even skintone. My skin is very dry too.

Thanks

Slather on moisturiser every single day now, after you've washed and dried your face. It will sink in and provide a base for a foundation. I recommend Rimmel's 25 hour foundation - it has SPF in it, and truly lasts all day long. I've tried many brands but have settled on this one for the last few years now as it's so good. Use a concealer stick blended onto your spider veins after you have applied the foundation - I use an inexpensive one from Superdrug in the Collection 2000 range ( shade no. 13 ) and it covers up my thread veins and tiny blemishes a treat. A little press of translucent face powder can help to set the ' finish ' but some ladies don't bother - I do because it prevents shine and holds on to powder blusher better. This prep. now should ensure you have a lovely skin for those wedding photographs !
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bobbi Brown does a lightweight fluid foundation, very good for dry and sensitive skin, that gives good coverage with a Dewey, natural look. I wouldn't trust a BB or CC cream to last all day for a wedding. Best thing you can do is go round the counters at a department store and let the staff advise, and you can see what it looks like on then too.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Thanks

Hi MillyC
    I am in my late 60s and I use http://www.monsiaskincare.com/uk/ - I find that the day cream which has a SPF15 rating is excellent and non-greasy. I would suggest you take yourself to your nearest Boots and use their No 7 Foundation Match Made Service - it is great and it is the only foundation I have found that allows me to look as if I am not wearing any at all! Hope this helps but I agree with all the other ladies, use a really good non-greasy moisturiser. Enjoy the wedding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, all of you, for taking the time to offer your recommendations, it is very much appreciated.

The one thing I have already sorted is a good moisturiser and if any of you would like to try it, this is it :)

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/shop-by-range/hemp/hemp-face-protector.aspx
  • Double DeckerDouble Decker Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Lancome Teint Miracle is amazing. They should be able to put some on for you at the Lancome counter so you can check it out.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Thank you, all of you, for taking the time to offer your recommendations, it is very much appreciated.

The one thing I have already sorted is a good moisturiser and if any of you would like to try it, this is it :)

I use that one and it really is amazing!

Lush do little pots of colour that can be mixed with moisturiser and that gives a nice dewy look, I know you can do that with any foundation but these seem to work really well, you can also use them neat as concealer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I use their vitamin e moisturisers. This hemp one is a bit too heavy for me - I don't like Shea butter in face products. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    No7 is very good, it's smooth and light and if you go into boots they'll match it against your skin to get the right colour.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    Max Factor pan stik.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had nothing but good reports from ladies who have bought this BB Cream :)

https://www.youniqueproducts.com/ByElise/products/view/US-1074-00#.VLfU7SusXms
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Estee Lauder double wear. I'm new to this and I like it :)
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

BIB thanks for the tip :)
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No7. Either Protect and Perfect or Lift and Luminate. Both make my ( sometimes ) blotchy skin look flawless.