Options

Mums of children with special needs defend Katie Price using government support

Comments

• Options
    LucypherLucypher Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of angry comments I've seen about Pricey not only sending Harvey to a better school than most kids get the opportunity to experience - which necessitates the long journey - but she uses Welfare money to do so. I'm not angry about it, but lots of people are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucypher wrote: »
    There's a lot of angry comments I've seen about Pricey not only sending Harvey to a better school than most kids get the opportunity to experience - which necessitates the long journey - but she uses Welfare money to do so. I'm not angry about it, but lots of people are.

And none of the above is remotely true all bar the comment about people's misplaced anger. Days later these same tired points are still being recycled so I won't bother repeating why its wrong. Some people prefer sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "I can't hear you!"
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member

I'm pretty certain if she was told she had to pay for it herself she's quickly find a cheaper solution. People are very good at spending other people's money and in my experience the richer people are the meaner they are - which is probably how they got rich in the first place ...
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    galena wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain if she was told she had to pay for it herself she's quickly find a cheaper solution. People are very good at spending other people's money and in my experience the richer people are the meaner they are - which is probably how they got rich in the first place ...

I agree, it seems the more they have, the more they want. I can't and will never understand how people need so much money.
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member

Harvey has very complex educational and medical needs and can't be accommodated by any school in his locality. I'm sure she would far rather he was closer to home but as the government has closed so many special schools, children with these needs have to be transported ever further in order to get an appropriate education.

My children who have ASDs spent many years being taken by taxi to schools 15 miles away, however as they reached secondary level they were able to go to a special school that's only 5 minutes away and I have been very happy to take them there myself.

I certainly don't begrudge Katie Price. Unless you actually have a child with such demanding needs, you have no idea just how much of a strain it puts on you, regardless of whether you have money or not. She would probably be happy to give up all that money if only he could be healthy.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member

While I completely agree with rich people being meaner, not sure that is the case here.

If there was a suitable school with a place that was close, I'm sure the local authority would only pay for transport to that school.

I understand that. KP tried to open a school close to her but couldn't get the funding, which suggests to me that it is cheaper for the local authority to ferry their kids vast distances than open a school.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    That was my thinking at first, she has a lot of money so she can pay for it herself - but shes just getting what she's entitled to in terms of help being a parent of a disabled child, which I assume anyone non famous would get the same help too :confused:
  • Options
    Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point is with this - is that there should be more accessible schools for children with disabilities. There isn't so they have to travel. Every child should be able to access a school under law. So because there isn't one accessible for Katie's child - he has to travel and that expense has to be covered by the government. That is only fair.

Answer - make more schools accessible for children with any physical/learning or mental health diffculty.

I mean accessible here - as in able provide for and care for in a social/learning environment.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're raising and/or caring for a child/children with a disability then it's simply about reducing a tiny bit of stress on the parent. I say tiny because much of their children's lives is spent fighting local authorities, having endless assessments and submitting countless reports to put a case forward for their child's unique support. Nobody should have money taken off them regardless of wealth just because they are trying to make sure their child's needs are being met.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see what Katie has don't wrong?
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    How horrible and depressing that a child with severe disabilities is being used to have a go at Katie Price.
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    Here's an idea.
    Why not get the rich to pay more taxes than the poor and then fund every child who needs special help with their education, whatever their parents earn?!

Radical. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're raising and/or caring for a child/children with a disability then it's simply about reducing a tiny bit of stress on the parent. I say tiny because much of their children's lives is spent fighting local authorities to make sure they are supported adequately. Nobody should have money taken off them regardless of wealth just because they are trying to make sure their child's unique needs are being met.

Agreed. What I would want the answer to is whether there was an 'accessible school' for her child nearer to their home - whereby they can reduce the costs of his travel and reliance on travel expenditure by government. She is absolutely entitled to have the support.
  • Options
    EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She would pay don't doubt that.
    Who else in this world is looking out for Harvey?
    Like most parents we make sure our kids have the best start in life we can and fight their corner when we have too.
    She is doing nothing any other parent would't do. If she wasn't bothered to make sure he got the best she could find, who would be?
  • Options
    Dave_62Dave_62 Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would any parent not send their disabled child to the best school. The best services are in the public sector and they don't take payments. People should spend less time being angry and more time googleing for the facts.

The anti PC brigade really will.stoop to any level of ignorance to try and win a thing. Hopkins knew all about Jordans child care and put it out there for the outraged to be outraged. Despicable creature.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. What I would want the answer to is whether there was an 'accessible school' for her child nearer to their home - whereby they can reduce the costs of his travel and reliance on travel expenditure by government. She is absolutely entitled to have the support.
    There was apparently and it catered for Harvey's unique needs, but sadly closed down. She fought to try and keep it open, but lost meaning his educational needs could only be met in a school in London. :)
  • Options
    ruffleruffle Posts: 4,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flower Pot wrote: »

I support Katie i n this subject but it has now been discussed over and over and over again ths is bb It's time to move onto something new now
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the mother of a disabled child, I'm with KP on this one.

You have a disabled child, you get a Statement of (special) Educational Needs - SEN - which, for a child with his complex needs, would include the transport and care aspect of his journey to school, no matter his means or his parents means.

You don't get the SEN, you don't get to go to a school where you needs are met (be it a mainstream school for some children who are going down the inclusive route or a special school for those who have more complex needs). Without the SEN nothing is put into place to ensure the child is given the support they need to get an education, plus any additional therapies and support included in their daily school routine.

An SEN is a legal document, what is detailed in it must be carried out.

"A statement of special education needs describes your child’s needs and how they should be met, including what school they should go to."

https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs/support-before-september-2014
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    Here's an idea.
    Why not get the rich to pay more taxes than the poor and then fund every child who needs special help with their education, whatever their parents earn?!

Okay. Cool. Lets not pay for them to travel to a school that they can integrate into and a school that can accommodate their needs while also still pay attention to the needs of the school and pupils as a whole. Let them just find their own way..

^_^

The fact is normal schools can't provide the care they need to help them flourish and it also means that those kids without disabilities level of care is then sacrificed - it has to work for all children - not just a few.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. The school local to Price's family was closed down due to funding cuts so the council are legally required to transport Harvey to the nearest school which is an hour away. There's a statement on this on Katie Price's website if you care to google it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    Here's an idea.

Yes.....but don't they already do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was apparently and it catered for Harvey's unique needs, but sadly closed down. She fought to try and keep it open, but lost meaning his educational needs could only be met in a school in London. :)

Thank you. I like Hopkins but she was wrong on this. Needs to research sometimes before making fleeting statements doesn't she?

I have worked with young adults with learning disabilities, physical difficulties and mental health problems. I know how difficult it is to get the support that is so sorely needed. Financially, physically and emotionally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay. Cool. Lets not pay for them to travel to a school that they can integrate into and a school that can accommodate their needs while also still pay attention to the needs of the school and pupils as a whole. Let them just find their own way..

^_^

The fact is normal schools can't provide the care they need to help them flourish and it also means that those kids without disabilities level of care is then sacrificed - it has to work for all children - not just a few.

Whose care is being sacrificed? There are plenty of great schools available to non-disabled children in every district. Some are even outstanding.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...which because this child has a Statement of Needs means that the local council gets to choose which school he goes to and covers the transport costs.
  • Options
    jimdanjimdan Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fundamental issue here is the fact that KP already has enough money to pay for her child's needs and that the allowances she receives are not means tested.

Should Rupert Murdoch keep his Winter Fuel allowance or should he return the money to the Government to help the less well off?