Capturing videos on the net

Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there anyway of capturing a video on the net so I can save it to my computer? Its not on Youtube or any other video sharing sites so i'm having trouble trying to do it.

If anyone else could do it for me and give me a link to download it i'd be grateful aswell.

I'll put up the site if someone can help..

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Free Download Manager to grab my video files. Just Google FDM :)
  • Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've downloaded it but I don't understand how it works, what do I need to do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using Firefox you get an icon in the status bar when you click on a video. Pause the video and right click on the status bar icon to save the video.

Not sure if the procedure is the same for other browsers.
  • Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been using video download helper but its increasingly getting worse and once over it would save the video you were watching now it starts downloading the same video again not good if like me you have to watch your bandwidth limits . I don't know if it can be done with Windows but in Ubuntu if you go to the tmp folder if your video shows up in there you can copy it to another folder and save it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Using Firefox you get an icon in the status bar when you click on a video. Pause the video and right click on the status bar icon to save the video.

Not sure if the procedure is the same for other browsers.

I'm using firefox and I can't do it, nothings happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »
    I'm using firefox and I can't do it, nothings happening.

Oh well time to read the manual then :( or find another method :(

Do you have a URL so I can see if my FDM detects the video?
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I uploaded it here for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Start playing the video and you get the icon in the bottom right of the firefox windows (in the status bar), this icon flashes an few times, right click on the icon and then click the menu item that appears (usually the videos filename) and it will then issue you with an add download dialogue :) You can now stop the video playing as this will slow the download.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I uploaded it here for you.

Thank you, you're a star!! :D
    Start playing the video and you get the icon in the bottom right of the firefox windows (in the status bar), this icon flashes an few times, right click on the icon and then click the menu item that appears (usually the videos filename) and it will then issue you with an add download dialogue :) You can now stop the video playing as this will slow the download.

Thank you :D I'll try that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the menu I get, what do I click on?

page-1.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the menu I get, what do I click on?

page-1.jpg

No that is the drop box for FDM, the icon should be in the Firefox status bar (the bit with Done on the left)

The drop box might be covering the icon if you have firefox full screen.

*EDIT*
    Try installing the FlashGot Add-on for firefox as this might be what is giving the icon, FlashGot and FDM work together in firefox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be totally stupid. I can't see anything :-\

firefox.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be totally stupid. I can't see anything :-\

firefox.jpg

It is FlashGot that grabs the video. FlasGot Media (CTRL-F7) this then passes the address to your download manage, in my case FDM :)

http://flashgot.net/
    5. FlashGot Media (menu or Ctrl-F7) - it's enabled only when a streaming video or audio clip is playing in the current browser tab: this command intercepts downloadable addresses of the content pieces played so far in the page and sends them to the download manager. Tested on Youtube movies, it should work in many other situations as well. Furthermore, when a video or audio content is intercepted and ready for FlashGot media, a status bar icon flashes as a notification: you can either left click it to download all the streams at once, or right click to choose among multiple streams, if more than one have been found.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try replay media catcher

They say they support all browsers now, my version does not work with IE7 or 8, so I use FF with it. You have to pay for it, though. But they have demo version that saves only 75% of the video, but at least you can try if it works with your video.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use this for FF: http://netvideohunter.com/ works with nearly every site I have tried
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is FlashGot that grabs the video. FlasGot Media (CTRL-F7) this then passes the address to your download manage, in my case FDM :)

http://flashgot.net/

I've given up with it, its not working. Thanks for your help though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soran wrote: »
    I use this for FF: http://netvideohunter.com/ works with nearly every site I have tried

Ahh, thats worked. Thank you. How do you convert Flv files into another format such as Avi or Wmv?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh, thats worked. Thank you. How do you convert Flv files into another format such as Avi or Wmv?

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anything like that for macs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    anything like that for macs?

Handbrake on Windows convert flash to MP4/MKV, it might do the same on the Mac.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah its a pretty neat app but was looking for something which had a but more flexibility.. with many different input and output formats... convert flvs to gp3 etc

currently i'm using this site but its proving to be a bit of a pain in the ass... http://media-convert.com/