Options

Adult braces

2»

Comments

• Options
    EWAEWA Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    just wondering about retainers.

when I was a kid (long time ago) lots of us had braces in our teenage years but once they were off that was it.

why are retainers needed these days?
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure. But for me my jaw pattern wouldn't support the teeth in the new position (lower jaw being to small/narrow) In time they would revert back to being crooked.

I use the plastic cover retainer that clicks over the teeth. At the moment it's 2 nights out of every 3. I find it soooo comfy so it's no biggee.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EWA wrote: »
    just wondering about retainers.

when I was a kid (long time ago) lots of us had braces in our teenage years but once they were off that was it.

why are retainers needed these days?

I'm not a dentist, but I imagine it's because when you're young, your jaw is still growing, and there's space for the teeth to spread out a bit. If you have crooked teeth corrected when you're older, and the bone structure is already set, they'll tend to go back to where they were unless you use something to hold them in the new position.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I'm not a dentist, but I imagine it's because when you're young, your jaw is still growing, and there's space for the teeth to spread out a bit. If you have crooked teeth corrected when you're older, and the bone structure is already set, they'll tend to go back to where they were unless you use something to hold them in the new position.

I assumed that too, although my daughter's teen friend didn't wear hers and her teeth moved back too. I know when I had mine as a kid I was never given a retainer after the treatment finished
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    The best way we describe it to patients at work is to think of your teeth as an elastic band; you can stretch /move the elastic band using your hands (force) but once you remove the force / stop stretching it it always trys to go back to its original shape... Same with teeth... Once the forces which are moving the teeth have been removed, the teeth naturally want to go back to how they were. If you aren't prepared to wear a retainer for pretty much the rest of your life (I'm talking night time not like 24 hours a day) then there's absolutely no point in spending all that money and time in braces.
  • Options
    Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ilove2dook wrote: »
    The best way we describe it to patients at work is to think of your teeth as an elastic band; you can stretch /move the elastic band using your hands (force) but once you remove the force / stop stretching it it always trys to go back to its original shape... Same with teeth... Once the forces which are moving the teeth have been removed, the teeth naturally want to go back to how they were. If you aren't prepared to wear a retainer for pretty much the rest of your life (I'm talking night time not like 24 hours a day) then there's absolutely no point in spending all that money and time in braces.

Is a retainer uncomfortable to wear?
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can see how that applies to adults, but is it the same with kids, when their jaws are still growing? Or only if some back teeth have been removed to create space, so that the teeth can settle into a new alignment?

Not that it's much use to me at my age, but I'm just interested!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    It's the same for children as adults. Alot of people that are having adult orthodontics are people that previously wore braces as a child and were told to wear a retainer for 6 months and then stop, which they did, and gradually their teeth all moved back again, as retention isn't just a short term thing, hence as an adult they are wearing braces again.

Retention isn't uncomfortable, you can have a wire bonded behind the teeth which is "fixed" retention (hard to floss well though) and a removable retainer for night time. You would get used to wearing night time retainers, it's much the same as wearing bleaching trays at night to bleach your teeth or a night guard if you tend to clench and grind.
  • Options
    Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to call this week and make an appointment I think for this free consultation. Quite nervous about it all to be honest, even though I know I don't have to go through with anything.

Is a fixed retainer better than the night time ones?
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    It's the same for children as adults. Alot of people that are having adult orthodontics are people that previously wore braces as a child and were told to wear a retainer for 6 months and then stop, which they did, and gradually their teeth all moved back again, as retention isn't just a short term thing, hence as an adult they are wearing braces again.

Retention isn't uncomfortable, you can have a wire bonded behind the teeth which is "fixed" retention (hard to floss well though) and a removable retainer for night time. You would get used to wearing night time retainers, it's much the same as wearing bleaching trays at night to bleach your teeth or a night guard if you tend to clench and grind.
    Hubby has both, but as I said, I had my teeth straightened 30 years ago, never wore a retainer and they've never moved back. Was I just lucky?