Options

Enjoyed Alfie Threatening to Batter Alex

Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
Forum Member
Don't know why but it felt very old EastEnders. Shame Mick joined in and halted Alfie. I'd have enjoyed smashing Alex's heading in.

Comments

• Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I thought Alfie was going to chin Aleks, I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of Alfie!

He almost turned into the incredible hulk!

:-D:-D:-D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aleks is great. Alfie was like a spilt child tonight. Shane was great though
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Xenophobia ain't cool.
  • Options
    ChatterFaceChatterFace Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed that scene, I like it when characters actually portray anger and when situations get heated. I think Alfie was out of order and wasn't helping himself at all in that scene but I still want Aleks to get his comeuppance for deleting the voicemail, hopefully Tamwar will speak up in this situation but I don't think it will happen any time soon.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought when aleks put his glasses on at the end he looked quite attractive. I don't usually think he is.

Aleks didn't appear to be bothered. Alfie was just het up and apologised immediately yet everyone is out to label him this that and the other.

I think the outburst was very current with a lot of peoples views and its not that ppl are being rascist or xenophobic they are just frustrated and lashing out to hurt. not that there is an excuse but there is no need for labels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I thought when aleks put his glasses on at the end he looked quite attractive. I don't usually think he is.

Aleks didn't appear to be bothered. Alfie was just het up and apologised immediately yet everyone is out to label him this that and the other.

I think the outburst was very current with a lot of peoples views and its not that ppl are being rascist or xenophobic they are just frustrated and lashing out to hurt. not that there is an excuse but there is no need for labels

Good call!
  • Options
    TesphenTesphen Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice to see characters acting realistically and not in a PC way, even if I don't agree with their views. Was it ever explained how racist Jim could be best friends with Patrick? And what happened to Dot's anti-gay prejudices?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    Xenophobia ain't cool.

Xenophobia is a term used to describe someone who hates foreigners. Someone who despises them. Alfie is not a foreigner hater. He doesn't like Aleks who conveniently happens to be foreign. Alfies point was that his life, even though he has pressed a self destruct button, is being dictated and puppeteered by someone who he despises. Someone who pretends he knows about what its like to be an EastEnder and Alfie snapped. Simple. All this OTT "xenophobic" "racist" suggestion is pathetic. I think it's those who label others who are afraid of addressing their own prejudices, therefore finding other peoples prejudices offensive.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know why but it felt very old EastEnders. Shame Mick joined in and halted Alfie. I'd have enjoyed smashing Alex's heading in.

and under the bridge there lived a troll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesphen wrote: »
    Its nice to see characters acting realistically and not in a PC way, even if I don't agree with their views. Was it ever explained how racist Jim could be best friends with Patrick? And what happened to Dot's anti-gay prejudices?

I agree its nice that the writers aren't treading on eggshells, I want to see realistic reactions and comments.

BIB: I am not sure what caused Jim to be so close to Patrick after being known as a racist character, I can only assume that he had matured with age (eventually) and saw Patrick for the person he is not his skin colour.

As for Dot, I have no idea, I have seen a clip where she is very anti gay, but I also remember a time where she invited Fatboys ex (I can't remember her name) to try out a more laid back and friendly bible club that was open to the gay community etc. so I can only assume she has just become less of a judging person and more open minded? I dunno thats my stab in the dark :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Xenophobia is a term used to describe someone who hates foreigners. Someone who despises them. Alfie is not a foreigner hater. He doesn't like Aleks who conveniently happens to be foreign. Alfies point was that his life, even though he has pressed a self destruct button, is being dictated and puppeteered by someone who he despises. Someone who pretends he knows about what its like to be an EastEnder and Alfie snapped. Simple. All this OTT "xenophobic" "racist" suggestion is pathetic. I think it's those who label others who are afraid of addressing their own prejudices, therefore finding other peoples prejudices offensive.

This!

I agree that Alfie isn't xenophobic or racist, just angry, he was desperate enough to go cap in hand to the employer he pissed about but Aleks wouldn't give him another chance.

All Alfie really wants is to right the wrongs and Aleks has already punished Alfie by kicking him off the market and deleting his answerphone message so he could have been the better man and given Alfie another chance on probation and providing he keep his nose out of his affairs and stay away from Roxy but no, he's always got to have the upper hand and Alfie has now dug himself even deeper!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

I agree with this post.
  • Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in 2011 when Alfie punched Jack Branning hopefully he'll do the same to Alek
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I agree its nice that the writers aren't treading on eggshells, I want to see realistic reactions and comments.

BIB: I am not sure what caused Jim to be so close to Patrick after being known as a racist character, I can only assume that he had matured with age (eventually) and saw Patrick for the person he is not his skin colour.

As for Dot, I have no idea, I have seen a clip where she is very anti gay, but I also remember a time where she invited Fatboys ex (I can't remember her name) to try out a more laid back and friendly bible club that was open to the gay community etc. so I can only assume she has just become less of a judging person and more open minded? I dunno thats my stab in the dark :p

I think with Jim they just felt they had to tone him down once they decided to make him a regular character and I think he is just supposed to have mellowed with age. To be fair, there probably are people that held racist views in prior decades when it was more common and accepted and perhaps they'd never properly met and talked to black people but havd come to realise they were wrong. Maybe even meeting Patrick helped him to moderate his views?

Dot I'm sure changed her views re homosexuality by becoming good friends with Colin.

Even with Derek, always had the feeling that he was still racist but was smart enough to realise that the world had moved on and he could no longer get away with being so open about his views in general society but he hadn't really changed them.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I think with Jim they just felt they had to tone him down once they decided to make him a regular character and I think he is just supposed to have mellowed with age. To be fair, there probably are people that held racist views in prior decades when it was more common and accepted and perhaps they'd never properly met and talked to black people but havd come to realise they were wrong. Maybe even meeting Patrick helped him to moderate his views?

Dot I'm sure changed her views re homosexuality by becoming good friends with Colin.

Even with Derek, always had the feeling that he was still racist but was smart enough to realise that the world had moved on and he could no longer get away with being so open about his views in general society but he hadn't really changed them.

Spot on Kitkat, agree with all of that.

I actually appreciated the un-PC-ness of that scene. Everyone is always so nicey-nicey and tolerant on soaps when we all know that there are people out there who say the kind of things that Alfie said (and a million times worse!) To me it was reminiscent of the early days of EE when they weren't afraid to be confrontational - albeit a mild and mellowed version.

Aleks makes me smile, I love the 80's vibe he has going on with the Simon Le Bon circa Duran Duran era hair and when he put those shades on my immediate thought was 'Miami Vice!' :D I'm waiting for the pushed up sleeves and slip on shoes with no socks next, lol!
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »

On the contrary I think Aleks cared very much. The way he responded indicated he had Alfie's card marked and that was that Alfie is a no longer closet racist >:(

As for just realising Aleks is attractive :o I think you need to put your glasses on :D
  • Options
    TorchwoodBoyTorchwoodBoy Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wanted to see a fight... It's been so long...
  • Options
    cloudy80cloudy80 Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    alex deserved it tbh i dislike that guy very much even though i hate alfie as much
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary I think Aleks cared very much. The way he responded indicated he had Alfie's card marked and that was that Alfie is a no longer closet racist >:(

As for just realising Aleks is attractive :o I think you need to put your glasses on :D

aleks has had alfie's card marked for some time. alfie is not racist.

the aleks bit was just the moment when he put his glasses on. I am blaming not feeling well :(