Options

How Often do you replace a TV or why the TV Black Friday Madness ?

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The images and videos from the midnight opening of the Black Friday sales seemed like chaos. People fighting over cheap and often poor quality TV's at what i will admit are decent prices.

A part of me did feel like i was missing out. Surely these are great deals if people are getting into fights over then. But then I thought what the heck do I need another TV for ?

My current main TV is about 5-6 years old but a nice Sony flat screen. I was thinking surely now most people have flat screen's ones why the panic and everyone trying to buy them now ?

So I was wondering how often do you replace your TV set ? Do you upgrade to a new model every few years or wait until the one you have breaks down. Can you quite explain why the mad rush for TV's ?

Comments

• Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flatscreen I bought 4 years ago was bought to pretty much last for 10+ years! Absolutely no need whatsoever to rush out and buy another, sale or not. What's the point?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    The images and videos from the midnight opening of the Black Friday sales seemed like chaos. People fighting over cheap and often poor quality TV's at what i will admit are decent prices.

A part of me did feel like i was missing out. Surely these are great deals if people are getting into fights over then. But then I thought what the heck do I need another TV for ?

My current main TV is about 5-6 years old but a nice Sony flat screen. I was thinking surely now most people have flat screen's ones why the panic and everyone trying to buy them now ?

So I was wondering how often do you replace your TV set ? Do you upgrade to a new model every few years or wait until the one you have breaks down. Can you quite explain why the mad rush for TV's ?

1)Ebay
    2) Make a profit
    3) Brag to friends
    4) Count the cash
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I have a house full (OK it's actually 2) of the cheaper 50" Panasonic plasma TVs as well as an older Samsung and a Pioneer 8G.

No more TVs wanted here until some OLEDs come along at a sensible price.
  • Options
    StompaStompa Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my current TV packs up I'll replace it. I see little point in doing so otherwise.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I know I don't get it! My tv is about 6 years old now and I won't be replacing it until it's on its last legs. And I wouldn't replace it with a Polaroid one, which I saw people fighting over on the news today. I didnt even know Polaroid made tv's.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    whats funny is the tvs probably break when they're fighting over them
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got rid of my last flat screen because it developed a fault and took ages to start up.
    I looked at new ones (Smart) and the picture quality was dramatically enhanced so I bough one at a reasonable price.
    Last week I saw a very large curved screen in John Lewis and that picture is stunning but at a couple of grand I'll wait thanks.
    So I'll replace my TV if,
    1 if it had deteriorated
    2 if the technology has advanced so much and the price has dropped
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't most of these 'bargain' tvs the cheaper brands anyway???
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    1)Ebay
    2) Make a profit
    3) Brag to friends
    4) Count the cash

Not really considering the makes of the TV's.
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't replace a TV until it starts showing signs of wear, and from my experience of LCD flat screens so far, their life expectancy is 6-7 years before the picture starts to deteriorate quite badly (ghosting, banding, general washed out look).
    I think the people that get involved in these midnight scrums deserve everything they get, they are being whipped up into a frenzy by the retailers who more often than not blatently lie about the savings to made. If you wait a couple of weeks you'll often get the item for the same price or only £10/20 more.
    Too many gullible folk out there.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stompa wrote: »
    If my current TV packs up I'll replace it. I see little point in doing so otherwise.

I'm the same, I don't replace things when a newer model comes out kind of thing.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my first telly when I was 16, it was a little portable. I bought my second TV when I was 25 when I upgraded to a full sized one!
    I bought my current TV when I was 40 when I decided to upgrade to a flat screen. So that's 3 tellies so far in my adult life.

Don't ask me how many washing machines I've gone through since I was 16, I've lost count. They sure don't last as long as TVs.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We bought our last TV about 3yrs ago when ours died. It is an LG flatscreen 42" that we bought in the sales in Tesco. It will remain in our lounge until it dies.

However, my Dad bought us 2 small flat screen TVs from an M&S discount store. I don't know how much they cost but we have one in our bedroom and one in the kitchen. They are rubbish though. Unless you are stood immediately in front of them the picture goes shadowy and black. A complete waste of time and if I had the money I would replace them.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Stompa wrote: »

Ditto
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    whats funny is the tvs probably break when they're fighting over them

I was wondering how many people are getting home and finding damaged etc products that they'd just fought tooth and nail for
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I was thinking some of those TVs are going to be sold on, TBH I am ashamed of us Brits, not that many years ago, we were smug when we saw the deaths and general chaos caused by Black Friday in the US, but look at us know, we are just the same.

Cant help but wonder if this is to do with online culture, the internet exisits without boarders, but ALOT of the people on it are in Amercia and as such and can reflect US culture more than others (internet shopping could be argued as similar) but Brits have seen Black Friday on the internet, and think they want one for themselves, certainly the shops have taken that attitude. Thanks giving is like a starting pistol for US shoppers, but we dont have that here, so we dont really need that starting pistol, yet this year its almost an exact copy of the US Black Friday.

I dont want to say "lessons need to be learnt" but juding by the crowds, store were worefully unprepared for the demand, hopefully they do it better next year.

Im not pleased with either store or customers today.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have all CRTs which have perfectly decent pictures and often mask the imperfections of channels transmitted at low bitrates. I have actually picked up a couple of spares in recent years (which I fire up regularly as CRTs don't like being left unused for long periods) and these will hopefully keep me going until long after the new sets bought today have ceased to function.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 42" LG in the loving room and 24" (whatever cheap brand it is) in the bedroom is all I need. One in the living room has a Sky+HD box, PS3, XBox360 and Wii attached, so I really have no need to upgrade to a smart TV, and the bedroom has a built in DVD player plus a SkyHD box attached, and if I wanted to watch something on demand I can hook up my laptop or something. They're both HD as well. So really, why on earth would I need to get a new one until they start to show signs of failure?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Aren't most of these 'bargain' tvs the cheaper brands anyway???
    Amazon had about £150 off a Sony TV just out.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for what its worth (this is something I should have added to my previous post) if we are going to have Black Friday, maybe best to limit it to online websites, that way at least no one comes out injured, and tax payers dont end up footing the bill for police hours wasted by this.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are all cretins. If they wait 4 weeks itll all be 1/2 price anyway. And some of the prices were put up beforehand anyway.
    My last tv lasted 15 years, it was replaced by a flatscreen which was a good cheap price anyway.
    What is the matter with these cretins?? They end up being jostled or get into a fight- over a poxy tele? Electric kettle? CRETINS.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richer Sounds have ~70% discount on TVs frequently, and they're decent makes, not the crappy rebranded tat that Asda and Tesco were selling.

That said, I'll get a new TV when the existing one breaks or when I can no longer control my craving for one which enables me to plug my USB in and play mpg, MP4 and MKV files. Until then I'll happily play them through my laptop via a VGA cable connected to the TV.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I still have all CRTs which have perfectly decent pictures and often mask the imperfections of channels transmitted at low bitrates. I have actually picked up a couple of spares in recent years (which I fire up regularly as CRTs don't like being left unused for long periods) and these will hopefully keep me going until long after the new sets bought today have ceased to function.

I had a Philips 100hz that was replaced after 15 years this year; still perfect and I couldn't give it away :( . You would have been welcome!
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I know I don't get it! My tv is about 6 years old now and I won't be replacing it until it's on its last legs. And I wouldn't replace it with a Polaroid one, which I saw people fighting over on the news today. I didnt even know Polaroid made tv's.

Neither did we until recently when we had to replace my dad's - it's cheap and cheerful but not bad at all.

This sale thing is ridiculous though, a colleague today got a call from her hubby who was at Tesco saying they had (I think) 60inch tvs for £300 and should he get one? They don't need one, at all, he just thought it was a bargain:confused:
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »

I imagine they have a blank screen when you switch them on, then appear in grainy black and white and after about a minute they turn full colour.

That's okay, but shaking the screen dry afterwards requires a crane. :)
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Amazon had about £150 off a Sony TV just out.

Fair point, but I was thinking about the supermarket stuff that people are fighting over.