Options

What is your favourite decade for music?

Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
Forum Member
✭✭
I was just wondering if you had to pick a favourite decade for music what would it be?

Now you may have a favourite period that goes over two different decades e.g. 75-85, but if you had to pick one decade from which you could listen to music to only, what would it be?

We're halfway through this decade (2010s) so although its clearly not finished yet I'm going to include it anyway since 5 years is still a significant amount of time and it can be judged now.

If I can ask, I'm hoping the mods don't move this into the music forum, the reason why I say this is because I specifically want to ask people in the general discussion only, those who frequent the music section are likely into current music more and therefore are likely to be younger (not everyone of course plenty of older people in there) but the poll is likely to be skewed towards more recent decades regardless.

How does this decade (2010s) compare to music from previous decades anyway so far? Particularly its pop music?

What is your favourite decade for music? 239 votes

50s
1% 3 votes
60s
16% 40 votes
70s
17% 42 votes
80s
37% 90 votes
90s
18% 45 votes
00s
6% 15 votes
10s
1% 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 90s for me.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1960s had the best music but I probably prefer the '80s simply because music from that decade reminds me of my childhood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    The 90s for me.

Ditto
  • Options
    JaggySplintersJaggySplinters Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    The 70's were hilariously awesome.
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80s for me! Reminds me of my childhood and simpler times!
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80's for me too, though I liked the early 90's too. I suspect this will come down to the age of each poster. Seems people most enjoy the music from their youth.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 80s and 90s. The 80s for all the cheesy stuff that's just good for nostalgia and the 90s for all the great tracks that got released.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    This is the breakdown by decade of my favourite pop songs playlist:
    [B]Decade     Songs[/B]
    1950s          2
    1960s         80
    1970s        258
    [highlight]1980s        548[/highlight]
    1990s        198
    2000s        120

1980s is the clear winner.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Music died about 1975 , as far as the 80s is concerned its the decade taste forgot
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    The 1970s - so much innovation
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me personally I would say the 80s, even though I wasn't born till 86', so I'm probably not the norm for my age group in saying so.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say the 80's as that was my era growing up .... though I did especially enjoy the indie explosion of the mid to late 90's too.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have to say the 60s even though I wasn't born until 1977. Just love motown music :)
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The seventies followed by the sixties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The sixties - the Beatles, the Who, the Stones, the Doors, CCR, Simon & Garfunkel, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Mamas and Papas, the Kinks, Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane..... what a phenomenal decade. Followed by the seventies. Personally I think music has got steadily worse and it shows no signs of picking up.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    I voted 70s though, really, my decade would have to be something like '65 - 75.

In those days people had to be able to actually play their instruments and singers able to actually sing.

None of this backtracking or autotune nonsense.

Technology has a lot to answer for in that respect.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80s for sure. I love retro stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Late 60s through to mid 80s.

This covers a lot, Deep Purple through to NWOBHM
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sixties - the Beatles, the Who, the Stones, the Doors, CCR, Simon & Garfunkel, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Mamas and Papas, the Kinks, Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane..... what a phenomenal decade. Followed by the seventies. Personally I think music has got steadily worse and it shows no signs of picking up.

The 60's !!!!!!!!;-)
  • Options
    BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree with all the above. I was 14 at the start of the sixties and was 24 at the end so the sixties holds wonderful memories for me and most of them linked in some way to the great music of the times. I was lucky enough to see the Beatles live when they came to our town for a week and can still remember the overwhelming feeling of excitement watching them, although I don't think we could actually hear a thing!
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

That sums it up perfectly - the greatest decade for music.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    As a former dance band trumpet player and speaking for my self and probably many of my generation still surviving, the arrival of Bill Hayley and the Comets spelt the death knell for music with his arrival in the fifties. However there is a rumour that one day music will return.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I was born in it, I'd have to go for the 60s. I like lots of music from all decades, but just more from the 60s than the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1947 - 1951
    1955 -1957
    1966 - 1969
    1975- 1978
    1982- 1984
    1989-1992
    1996- 1999
    2002- 2005