Options

Will Sky tv ever run out of new ways of charging us for stuff

bikinibikini Posts: 166
Forum Member
i first got sky 12 years ago and they constantly think up new ways to make me pay more like HD or a new channel and I am amazed how they keep thinking up new ways to charge more. if didn't ever agree i'd not now be able to watch anything on it yet will they ever just leave it ne i pay around £85 a month and now when I want to watch a live boxing I have to pay more and more.
will it ever end?

Comments

• Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope Nope Nope!
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with sky and even virgin, BT sports you get to point when you think the money I am spending on this I could buy 5 blue ray's a month and watch the films when I want. I had this moment when it got to about 40 quid month.

I just was not watching 40 pounds worth of TV in month it seemed silly. I do miss the sport but not so I am willing to spend that much on it.

I think services like netflix at 8.00 pounds a month is a good service. I had the DVD rental service that was good until it merged with Amazons prime service. The problem is all I really want from sky was the sport channels at 23 pound that would have been okay but you need the default package on top of that to me it works out too expensive.

My advice would be to ditch it and spend it on something else but it depends what your viewing habits if you think you are getting value out of it then fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes you right

It is just they are geniuses at thinking up new ways to charge you. like you lose what you paid for unless you constantly pay up more but they make it seem like it always an exciting new thing. they have been doing it for deacdes
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep paying it, and they'll keep upping the prices.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - but then no-one forces you to subscribe to Sky:D
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky = many channels of nothing much for those easily parted from their quids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well put!!!
    they do do amazing sports though such as darts
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just keep quitting and getting it at half price or less, I'd not pay full price and we've used FreeSat whilst been unsubscribed for a few weeks over the last 5 years!
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bikini wrote: »
    i first got sky 12 years ago and they constantly think up new ways to make me pay more like HD or a new channel and I am amazed how they keep thinking up new ways to charge more. if didn't ever agree i'd not now be able to watch anything on it yet will they ever just leave it ne i pay around £85 a month and now when I want to watch a live boxing I have to pay more and more.
    will it ever end?

Cancel it.

I'd be loathed to pay eighty five quid for television each month even if I had money to burn :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you are right it is a crazy price but it is mainly to get all the live sport
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    I just keep quitting and getting it at half price or less, I'd not pay full price and we've used FreeSat whilst been unsubscribed for a few weeks over the last 5 years!

Trouble is that the 'half price or less' offers go up in price every year... so you are still stuck with ever increasing costs way above inflation!
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will it ever end?

Is it really difficult to cancel the movies package and just get the sports package?
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything I pay for has to pass the justified threshold, if I cannot justify its cost after weighing up the cons and pros then I don't take it up, I won't have Sky because I cannot justify the cost based on the amount of times I'm likely to watch/use their services.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    A company whose sole purpose is to make money for their shareholders coming up with various ways to make more money? Who'd have thought it..
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancel it.

I'd be loathed to pay eighty five quid for television each month even if I had money to burn :D

I expect there's phone and broadband included in that figure. Full package with sports/Movies and HD is not £85.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I expect there's phone and broadband included in that figure. Full package with sports/Movies and HD is not £85.

It is you know.

Family Pack £33 (inc HD), Sky Sports £24.50 + £5.25 HD, Sky Movies £16.50 + £5.25 HD. Makes £84.50.
  • Options
    HammyHammy Posts: 4,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    It is you know.

Family Pack £33 (inc HD), Sky Sports £24.50 + £5.25 HD, Sky Movies £16.50 + £5.25 HD. Makes £84.50.

That's the Complete bundle pack, which is £71.25
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    It is you know.

I wonder if the OP hasn't really got Sky and has done what you've done, just to start yet another anti-Sky thread?

Also, PPV boxing has been on Sky for nearly 20 years, so it's nothing new.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will it ever end?

It ended for me. I ditched them in 2005
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,001
    Forum Member
    Hammy wrote: »
    That's the Complete bundle pack, which is £71.25

And to watch those channels in an additional room add an extra £11.25 a month (£135 pa) = £82.50 ?
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    And to watch those channels in an additional room add an extra £11.25 a month (£135 pa) = £82.50 ?

Or simply add a bit of coax or HDMI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

... or use Sky Go, which is included in a basic subscription.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,001
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

And that allows viewing of say Sky Sports in one room and a movie channel in another?
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Add in a six pack of beer every time you watch the football and that's another fiver a time. It never ends!
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    And that allows viewing of say Sky Sports in one room and a movie channel in another?

No, as there was no mention of watching two different channels, only watching those channels in an additional room.

If you wanted to watch Sports in one room and Movies in another you could do so via Sky Go.