Matt Cardle Dropped?

Comments

• JanetDevlinUKJanetDevlinUK Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    X Factor 2010 winner Matt Cardle dropped by record label
    http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-x-factor/88246-x-factor-2010-winner-matt-cardle-dropped-by-record-label.html#ixzz1vQBoYa00

Maybe it was SYCO who dropped him as he had two deals
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    I think you might be surprised there.

Agreed. Just look at the appreciation thread, its all about photo shoots, topless shoots and how good he looked in this or that particular photo shoot. Oh, and there it is a few post about his music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    I think it's actually a case of his contract not being renewed by the label, but obviously the press will go with the he's been dropped headline.

Not renewed and dropped is essentially the same thing.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the technicalities of it...

The vast majority of record deals are "one album" deals with the record label having the option of picking up a further 4. That means the label has no commitment beyond the first one but the artist does. When someone is dropped, it's simply a case of the label not picking up that option.
    X Factor 2010 winner Matt Cardle dropped by record label
    http://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-x-factor/88246-x-factor-2010-winner-matt-cardle-dropped-by-record-label.html#ixzz1vQBoYa00

Maybe it was SYCO who dropped him as he had two deals

If Columbia wanted to keep him then I'm sure they could.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever the truth of it is, it'll only be painted in one way in the media...i can see how the DM will delight in spinning it. If it's true it's an interesting one. His sales have been in line with loads of artists, but maybe the label doesn't believe he could match them next time round.

oh well he's only young....ah no hang on;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    That's because of the demograph. It is the young ones that lap up merchandise like there is no tomorrow. Matt fans wouldn't want his bedding or posters all over their walls. At least I think they wouldn't :eek:

imagine going to sleep with Matt's face on top of you eurgh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, I loved Matt in Xfactor and I think he has an absolutey amazing voice. Nice looking bloke too.

Really didnt like his album though. I hope he manages to go another direction.
  • Shannon_BurnettShannon_Burnett Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    anactoria wrote: »
    Can't be true. I distinctly remember his fans telling us all that Columbia would give him time to develop as an artist, that they saw his true potential, that they'd be looking to turn a profit by his third album, etc.

(Actually, I do doubt this is true as there's no source given and I can't find it on Google. But if it is, I think it's perfectly hilarious.)

Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

I'm almost sure it is true. The writing was on the wall last fall when he was dropped by Modest Management...oh, wait, excuse me, when they "parted ways."

His recent singles have flopped terribly. Last week his album sold all of two or three hundred copies, compared to near 10,000 for Rebecca and around 6000 for One Direction.

His appeal is as limited as his star quality it seems. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »

Lol :D
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor winners appear to be cursed. Poor Leona's career is just in limbo and Alex is facing huge problems right now as no station will playlist her.
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    It's not all bad news for Matt though, he recently played a 100 seat venue in LA - watch out One Direction! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not all bad news for Matt though, he recently played a 100 seat venue in LA - watch out One Direction! :)

LOL :D I guess Matt could end up like Steve Brookstein. Then even a 100 seat venue would be a great achievement :D
    Forum Member
    Bex. wrote: »

Oh god--pass the brain bleach please!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frank5 wrote: »
    LOL :D I guess Matt could end up like Steve Brookstein. Then even a 100 seat venue would be a great achievement :D

:p I'll look forward to seeing him in a holiday park near me then.
    Didn't Steve Brookstein end up playing in pubs?
  • MehitabelMehitabel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    On the technicalities of it...

The vast majority of record deals are "one album" deals with the record label having the option of picking up a further 4. That means the label has no commitment beyond the first one but the artist does. When someone is dropped, it's simply a case of the label not picking up that option.

If Columbia wanted to keep him then I'm sure they could.

Admittedly, no one knows what Matt's contract looked like, but, as you pointed out, the above is pretty standard. New artists mostly likely have a standard one. This is what his fans seem to be overlooking when they suggest he walked away becuase the record company had a different vision than he did. The record company can walk away, but the artist cannot if the company exercises their option. The control is totally with the record company. The artist is stuck unless s/he finds a way to break the contract and/or buys their way out. So, if this story has legs, Columbia has said buh-bye to Matt. End of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    X Factor winners appear to be cursed. Poor Leona's career is just in limbo and Alex is facing huge problems right now as no station will playlist her.

I think the "curse" is the burden of great expectations. Runners up don't have many expectations. So a 4th place Cher Lloyd can get away with lower sales because the label never expected platinum.
    Forum Member
    Well, according to the man himself, once upon another time:

Matt Cardle blasts Simon Cowell's Syco: 'Columbia is a real label'

My favourite quote:

"You've got people like Kings Of Leon, John Mayer and Bruce Springsteen on Columbia, as opposed to Syco where you've got your Cher Lloyds and your One Directions. Columbia is a real artist's label."

Perhaps that's why Matt has been handed his walking papers. :D
    Forum Member

My favourite quote:

"You've got people like Kings Of Leon, John Mayer and Bruce Springsteen on Columbia, as opposed to Syco where you've got your Cher Lloyds and your One Directions. Columbia is a real artist's label."

(Perhaps that's why Matt has been handed his walking papers. :D

Interestingly those two acts still have record deals. Matt the real artist is also the only one of the three to have released a cover as a single.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My favourite quote:

Perhaps that's why Matt has been handed his walking papers. :D

If he actually said that, it's the funniest thing, because Columbia U.S (who signed Springsteen, Mayer and KOL), went on to sign One Direction and Cher was signed by Epic.:D
  • i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D
  • i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :p I'll look forward to seeing him in a holiday park near me then.
    Didn't Steve Brookstein end up playing in pubs?

Pizza Express and Costa Coffee :D
    Forum Member
    String9 wrote: »
    If he actually said that, it's the funniest thing, because Columbia U.S (who signed Springsteen, Mayer and KOL), went on to sign One Direction and Cher was signed by Epic.:D

Pretty solid evidence of where in Matt's anatomy his head is lodged then! :D
  • MehitabelMehitabel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this report isn't credible, where is Matt's management? Surely they could tweet something to his coterie of nervous fans.
    Forum Member
    Mehitabel wrote: »
    If this report isn't credible, where is Matt's management? Surely they could tweet something to his coterie of nervous fans.

I'd imagine Matt's manager will tweet about it as soon as he finishes his shift at KFC.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Joe is doing OK though! Back into the studio tomorrow as he is in the throes of recording his fourth album! A lot of new material on there apparently - some written by him.
This discussion has been closed.