Options

New Doctor Who website

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Anyone else seen the new official BBC website?

As sites go it's fairly poor. For a show like doctor who, that brings the BBC so much money in, it's a disgrace to see it being so poorly executed.

Don't get me wrong, the content is there and provides the user with a lot of information however, the design is just plain lazy and generic.

Any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

Comments

• Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this yesterday and I like the bigger pictures but it could do with having something on the right hand side,(Latest news) maybe Doctor/Companion quotes or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I don't like it :(
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Very poor design.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the red 'one' box on the main page is a bit too long.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What have they done to it?!
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's an improvement. I haven't had an in depth play with it yet but I found the series 5-6 webpage very clumsy to navigate. Some videos for example could be linked to from the homepage but were nowhere to be seen if you tried to find them from the video section! The new design seems much neater so far.
    Although, I much preferred the series 1-4 website for it's practicality, it was simple and everything could be found easily and where you'd expect it.

Eta- I don't find the red "one" box that bad. It would be better if it said BBC one imo but I hadn't really noticed it until it was pointed out.
    The more I use it, the more I like it actually :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just pressed on Rory's character page and Reg Arwell turned up.:D
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    I just pressed on Rory's character page and Reg Arwell turned up.:D

Oh my word, you're right. :( The old site had it's own style, this new one is just to keep it in line with the BBC Website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Oh my word, you're right. :( The old site had it's own style, this new one is just to keep it in line with the BBC Website.
    Rory won't be happy.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurg... Reminds me off the Facebook timeline thing...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was wrong with the old site? If it's not broke then do'nt fix it!
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The BBC is under a lot of pressure to reduce spending on websites. Moving all programmes to a common design that only needs a tweak of colours schemes and logos makes management a LOT easier.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell is this!?
    It's worse than the BBC America one! Much worse!
    Now it is essentially the same as every other website on a BBC programme. Including ones which have only ever had two episodes.
    This is an absolute disgrace.
    Who do I complain to?

Edit: Everyone do the opinion survey and complain, please!
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Looks ok to me. The BBC should be focussing on making their web pages as efficient to maintain as possible and target links to current/recent broadcasts. The experimental days for the BBC of being at the forefront of inventive web content are over. They did well (webisodes, the hitchhikers stuff etc), but the world has moved on.

Fans provide plenty of excellent web content for Doctor Who. The official site doesn't need to be anything spectacular.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    The site's been like this for a while. Why get up in arms about it now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What the hell is this!?
    It's worse than the BBC America one! Much worse![
    Now it is essentially the same as every other website on a BBC programme. Including ones which have only ever had two episodes.
    This is an absolute disgrace.
    Who do I complain to?
    Define 'worse'. In 90% of cases, being similar to existing websites under the same branding is a benefit. It ensures that content is accessible by the most people possible, requires fewer designer, and requires less time and money to maintain, meaning that they can add new content much more quickly. It also means that they have standard means to cross-advertise content across all their sites, and across social networks, etc.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dvdmcknz wrote: »
    Anyone else seen the new official BBC website?

As sites go it's fairly poor. For a show like doctor who, that brings the BBC so much money in, it's a disgrace to see it being so poorly executed.

Don't get me wrong, the content is there and provides the user with a lot of information however, the design is just plain lazy and generic.

Any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

The site seriously needs a update all jazzed up where the music just hits you as you get onto the page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    The site's been like this for a while. Why get up in arms about it now?

It certainly didn't look like this last week.
    Define 'worse'. In 90% of cases, being similar to existing websites under the same branding is a benefit. It ensures that content is accessible by the most people possible, requires fewer designer, and requires less time and money to maintain, meaning that they can add new content much more quickly. It also means that they have standard means to cross-advertise content across all their sites, and across social networks, etc.

Couldn't disagree with you more.
    It is in no way a benefit when it looks poorly and lazily made.
    There used to be a big animated "headline" which advertised the latest important news or episode. Now there is just an iPlayer link and "Adventures in Time and Space" written in small font at the top.

There used to be a nice blue background. Now the blue background stops not even halfway down the page only to be replaced with a black background everywhere else.

Everything used to be neatly laid out with good visuals. Now the page is made up of walls of text, blue hyperlinks, and some randomly places photographs.
    Look at the fourth dimension page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0103y2x/features/day-of-the-moon-the-fourth-dimension
    I seem to remember that looking much better than it does there.

And what is the need for having a large twitter feed taking up a lot of the page?

Look at the series 1-4 site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/
    Can you honestly say that the new site is better than that one?

I just feel that the new website is lazily made, and it is sad that the BBC has decided to destroy a perfectly good website in order to make things easier/save money.
    I am appalled.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    It certainly didn't look like this last week.

Are you sure? I thought it changed a few weeks ago. I didn't make a note, though, I just noticed that that whooshing noise as a Cyberman (or whatever) vanished had gone. I could be wrong. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought it changed a few weeks ago. I didn't make a note, though, I just noticed that that whooshing noise as a Cyberman (or whatever) vanished had gone. I could be wrong. :)

For me anyway, the old layout was there the last time I visited which was early last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look at the series 1-4 site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/
    Can you honestly say that the new site is better than that one?

Yes. Aesthetically, the old site used too many clashing colours, inconsistent font styles, and custom graphics for all sorts of headings and sub-headings, all of which need to be created individually.

Technically, the old pages are at least twice as heavy, meaning longer load times. The dependence on images and Flash for text content means that the site is not suitable for those with visual impairments, and this is made worse by the non-semantic markup which cannot be easily navigated by screen-readers.

It's also a very fixed-size layout, and won't render as well on display requiring larger text sizes, such as TV screens, or on smaller display sizes, such as mobile phones. Try it on a mobile browser - you won't find the older site very usable.

I'm not a fan of the teal-on-blue colour scheme, and the background of the various page elements need work. But overall, it's a functional and navigable site.

There's a reason why having a consistent style is a good thing - because a lot of the hard decisions have already been made.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I agree with that. Simplify and make palatable for mobile. It's the new rock n roll. Let fans do the snazzy stuff. The BBC site is right to focus on being mostly a navigation to the recent and current episodes.
  • Options
    lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Ahh I'm being all nostalgic remembering the flash homepages

This is virtually all that is left of the OLD old site.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/archive.shtml

edit: found the 2007 Advent Calendar ::D
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index_advent2007.shtml
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    Even the red 'one' box on the main page is a bit too long.
    That would look a lot better without the red.