Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great interivew with Ronnie after the match. Nice to see him chatting so much!
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Great interivew with Ronnie after the match. Nice to see him chatting so much!

Yeah he seemed very happy. I think his approach is spot on really.. enter just the ones he wants to take part in and qualify. Best of both worlds. He gets to play snooker and he gets to do other things. I'd rather he be happy for the last few years of his career than unhappy.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - I've just got home from work and put the snooker on from the BBC Website. Mid sesh interval - fair doose. But it said Williams 0-4 Maguire. Now it says Williams 4-0 Maguire. Which is it?!?!
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Williams 4-0. All started going wrong for Maguire with one of the worst safety shots in the history of the game on a black ball finish in the first frame! All a little bit of a surprise, I quite fancied him in this match as he looked in very good nick in the UK...
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Williams 4-0. All started going wrong for Maguire with one of the worst safety shots in the history of the game on a black ball finish in the first frame! All a little bit of a surprise, I quite fancied him in this match as he looked in very good nick in the UK...

Was it worse than Jamie Burnett's missed black?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was it worse than Jamie Burnett's missed black?:)
  • Options
    MMXIIMMXII Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5-3 now and Maguire is well in in the next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decent fist of it Maguire made in a pretty mediocre match tbh to come back from 1-5 to 5-4, but Williams just about did enough to prevail 6-4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    Was it worse than Jamie Burnett's missed black?:)

What, miss it twice did he? :p;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2-2 at the mid sesh between Trump and Bingo. I think these first few frames have shown why we've had so many maximums recently. The pockets are definitely more accommodating
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Is the BBC reducing its coverage of snooker? The second match today is not being shown on BBC2. The channel is just showing the highlights:
    23:20 Snooker: The Masters
    Shaun Murphy v Martin Gould Shaun Murphy v Martin Gould. Highlights of the fourth match in round one at Alexandra Palace,

Live coverage of the match is on Freeview Channel 301 and online.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Is the BBC reducing its coverage of snooker? The second match today is not being shown on BBC2. The channel is just showing the highlights:

Coverage of the match is on Freeview Channel 301 and online.

You would only get the first hour anyway at 6pm or 7pm. Rest would be on the red button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the same pockets theme, one particular shot that's caught my eye is the red along / just off the black cushion. As long as the player doesn't overcut it and plays it dead weight, the object ball hugs the cushion and the player can get away with technically undercutting it by more than a couple of inches.

I never quite know what to make of the bigger pockets theory to be honest. I always thought under tournament conditions they cannot exceed x inches (3.5?), but exactly where on the cut of the pockets that dimension runs to and from (narrowest point?) I'm not entirely certain.

Although its not necessarily so much the size of the pocket as the cut of the knuckle which can be modified slightly to make it harder or easier. Same for all players of course, but I'd hate to think they're playing easier than in the 90's say, as whatever a player achieves in a career (eg: number of century breaks) it should be off a level playing field, not easier for a lesser player of the new generation than a better player from the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the same pockets theme, one particular shot that's caught my eye is the red along / just off the black cushion. As long as the player doesn't overcut it and plays it dead weight, the object ball hugs the cushion and the player can get away with technically undercutting it by more than a couple of inches.

I never quite know what to make of the bigger pockets theory to be honest. I always thought under tournament conditions they cannot exceed x inches (3.5?), but exactly where on the cut of the pockets that dimension runs to and from (narrowest point?) I'm not entirely certain.

Although its not necessarily so much the size of the pocket as the cut of the knuckle which can be modified slightly to make it harder or easier. Same for all players of course, but I'd hate to think they're playing easier than in the 90's say, as whatever a player achieves in a career (eg: number of century breaks) it should be off a level playing field, not easier for a lesser player of the new generation than a better player from the past.

I suppose you have the same trouble in most sports in comparing players of different eras though as conditions change, and generally improve. Thinner cloths in snooker also help players to break build more easily as the balls split better than they used to. Cricketers used to bat on uncovered pitches, tennis players used to play with wooden racquets, athletes have better running shoes and springier running tracks. In fact I can't think of any sport where you can compare players of different eras with any level of certainty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, the balls are lighter, the cloths are thinner, plus the players have more extensions and gadgetry......when was the last time you saw anyone use the half butt? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-3 to Trump then, could have gone 5-4 as the frame ended up hinging on the green. Been some zippy old frames in the afternoon sessions both days, average frame times of 12 minutes with the match nearing the closing stages...
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its now Trump v Ronnie. I was hoping that would of been the final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Second BBC televised tourney in a row they've met of course. Who was commentating this arvo.....I was reduced to sneaky muted peeks on the work PC :o
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Second BBC televised tourney in a row they've met of course. Who was commentating this arvo.....I was reduced to sneaky muted peeks on the work PC :o

JV and Hendry

I guess they dont need Willie this week. Only 2 matches a day and they have JV, Dennis, Hendry, Doherty, Parrott and Davis
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its now Trump v Ronnie. I was hoping that would of been the final.

Yeah me too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers Darren.....so far then the comms have been:

Taylor and Hendry
    Virgo and Doherty
    Virgo and Hendry

Point taken....obviously not a two table / 4 table situation as 'usual'.......also Foulds and Griffiths to add to the list....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Darren.....so far then the comms have been:

Taylor and Hendry
    Virgo and Doherty
    Virgo and Hendry

Point taken....obviously not a two table / 4 table situation as 'usual'.......also Foulds and Griffiths to add to the list....

Don't think they usual have Fouldsy at The Masters. Shame really, cos I think he's the best of the lot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    Don't think they usual have Fouldsy at The Masters. Shame really, cos I think he's the best of the lot!
    Yeah, I was just naming the other BBC commentators basically :D

That said, Willie is sort of the 'kingpin' commentator is he not? Would have thought he'd have taken precedence over, say, Hendry for instance :confused:
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have better commentators than Eurosport, thats for sure. Mike Hallett is terrible. They guy makes so many errors when he is commentating its unreal
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Dave Hendon on Eurosport, he is excellent, knows his stuff very well and has a good commentary voice.

I have always thought the BBCs top 2 were Dennis and JV
This discussion has been closed.