Is "Baby One More Time" By Britney THE most iconic, best debut ever?

Comments

• georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    It doesnt matter.

i dont see anything funny or childish about the text you quoted, hence me replying "what?"
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so too. That and Wannabee.
    It's still an epic song and video and it came at the end of MTV and before the start of youtube.
    I wasn't around for the Beatles debut, but that seems similar.

You can judge an iconic moment with how it gets in to the public consciousness and stays, like Monroe and her skirt blowing up, Beatles coming down those plane stairs etc. especially by how much it gets spoofed.

Recent things have only really been flash in the pan, it's the nature of youtube memes. We get sick of things quickly now.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Ok let me explain.

ICONIC - I know that to different people it means many things, which is fine because everyones opinion is valid but i meant iconic as in known world wide, created a buzz, a strong popular debut that if you asked anyone they would know what you were talking about and with all do respect i dont think if you asked people if they remembered kate bushes or sex pistols debut that EVERYONE would know what you were talking about? Am i right?

No, you're not. Just because you don't remember how iconic the debuts of the The Sex Pistols, Kate Bush, Roxy Music, Siouxsie Sioux, The Beatles, The Undertones, Joy Division, The Clash, Bob Marley and The Wailers, Diana Ross, Spandau Ballet, Frankie, Spice Girls, etc etc doesn't mean they weren't more iconic than Britney Spears.

If you're only going back to the late 1990s you are missing the more significant eras of pop of the 50s, 60s, 70s. 80s

You might also note that like Orson Welles, Britney started at the top and worked her way down....that can't be said of many of the others!
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whiter shade of pale.
    California Dreamin
    Last Train to Clarksville
    My Sharona
    American Pie.
    Take On Me.

Agree with Anarchy in th UK, Relax and of course Wuthering Heights.
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    marcusgv wrote: »
    No, you're not. Just because you don't remember how iconic the debuts of the The Sex Pistols, Kate Bush, Roxy Music, Siouxsie Sioux, The Beatles, The Undertones, Joy Division, The Clash, Bob Marley and The Wailers, Diana Ross, Spandau Ballet, Frankie, Spice Girls, etc etc doesn't mean they weren't more iconic than Britney Spears.

If you're only going back to the late 1990s you are missing the more significant eras of pop of the 50s, 60s, 70s. 80s

You might also note that like Orson Welles, Britney started at the top and worked her way down....that can't be said of many of the others!

I think Elvis Presley Heartbreak Hotel and Jimi Hendrix Hey Joe might figure in there somewhere. It's not just about hits, but about being ground breaking imo. There will be others, not just one. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it's THE most iconic but defo one of them yes. In terms of being iconic and everybody of all ages knowing it then it's up there with Spice Girls - Wannabe, Madonna, Holiday, Michael Jackson - Don't Stop, Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun I suppose, Belinda Carlisle - Heaven On Earth, Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights, Mamas and The Papas - California Dreaming
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok let me explain.

ICONIC - I know that to different people it means many things, which is fine because everyones opinion is valid but i meant iconic as in known world wide, created a buzz, a strong popular debut that if you asked anyone they would know what you were talking about and with all do respect i dont think if you asked people if they remembered kate bushes or sex pistols debut that EVERYONE would know what you were talking about? Am i right?
    Well I'm sure in thirty years time not EVERYONE will know what you were talking about when you mention "Hit Me Baby... ".

The fact is time will always have that effect. However 'iconic' a debut might be the will be those who weren't there at the time who it will pass over.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariella52 wrote: »
    I think Elvis Presley Heartbreak Hotel and Jimi Hendrix Hey Joe might figure in there somewhere. It's not just about hits, but about being ground breaking imo. There will be others, not just one. :)

"That's All Right Mama", was actually Elvis Presley's debut single (and not "Heartbreak Hotel"), but it was only a local hit, so I don't know how iconic it really is. I think "That's All Right Mama" is a brilliant track though, so it's iconic to me!

"Heartbreak Hotel" was Elvis's first major hit, so although not his debut single, it is unquestionably a truly iconic track, because (love him or loathe him) Elvis is unquestionably one of the most iconic figures in 20th Century popular culture.

I agree that "Hey Joe" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience is also truly iconic.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Culture Club singing Do You Really Want To Hurt Me for the first time on Top of the Pops was an iconic moment.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney who?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    She had a previous singles? Did they have any success? :eek: lol I'm so shocked

I loved LMFAO's music before Party Rock Anthem, now they're just annoying (besides Sexy and I Know It, the video is funny :D)

If she had any previous singles then they weren't released in the UK/Ireland. I doubt many people heard of her before Call Me Maybe. And yes the Sexy And I Know It video is hilarious :D
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I keep getting told it is! :D
  • georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Britney who?

Britney Spears babes..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Britney who?
    We're talking about Britney f*cking Spears, the whole "who?" thing doesn't work on people of her stature. You could try the Keri Hilson threads?

As for it being the most Iconic, I'm not sure. Certainly the most Iconic of my generation, but like others have said, Iconic moments change from generation to generation.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're talking about Britney f*cking Spears, the whole "who?" thing doesn't work on people of her stature. You could try the Keri Hilson threads?

As for it being the most Iconic, I'm not sure. Certainly the most Iconic of my generation, but like others have said, Iconic moments change from generation to generation.

Again i'd disagree Wannabe was released too and that is equally iconic if nor more so. But i would agree it is more iconic than Just Dance which i think was and has been overshadowed by Poker Face.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iconic must be one of the most overused words on these threads, to the point where it is almost meaningless.
    However, for something to be iconic it just doesn't have to be successful or well-known, it has to be representative of something else, culturally influential in some way. I really don't know if this applies to Britney and her first single but it probably worth considering how 'Baby One More Time' might be iconic.

The video is an important part of the influence of the song. The video represents Britney's transformation from a Mouseketeer to a sex symbol. The video is symptomatic of the modern tendency towards the sexualisation of school kids. And in that sense isn't exactly a positive thing. Indeed, in many ways Britney is now more notorious than anything else and you could trace that notoriety right back to that song and video. In these ways it probably is iconic rather than because it was a no 1 debut song in lots of countries and sold millions.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think Leona's Bleeding Love debut was quite iconic. Just watching how she went from UK reality star to Grammy nominee in little over a year on one song was incredible.
    That was unfortunate I reckon, a song like Bleeding Love is the kind an artist releases as a comeback or something a few years into their career.

Baby One More Time- wouldn't say it was iconic but instantly memorable, and it helped that Britney came right after the spice girls almost.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time' to me was ironic and memorable. Number 1 debut for me. Sold nearly half a million copies first week release!
    Nothng that ironic about 'Wanabee' plus not that much good of a song. Just a loud of bunch of wanabees!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am surprised no one isn't talking about Whitney Houston's debut. It is just as big as Britney's.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok let me explain.

But thats not to say that they werent iconic in their own way, im just being realistic, and i think even you would agree with the above?

Dont get me wrong, i love all types of music, i am a britney fan but even at the moment my phone playlist consists of the likes of ben howard, kodaline, tom odell ect i think they are all amazing and absolutely love their debuts, but when it comes to being the iconic im talking about, theyre just not.

You started the thread asking the question whether Britney Spears' song was THE most iconic, best debut ever.
    That's pretty clear cut.
    You're not just simply asking if it's an iconic debut single.

Who's saying that the people you listed produced the most iconic debuts singles ever? I'm certainly not. Ben Howard? Kodaline? Tom Odell? Who the f**k are they? I haven't even heard of them, much less claimed that they produced the best most iconic singles ever.

I don't think you're being as realistic as you claim you are. You appear to be coming at this from a very biased angle.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with whether you yourself remember iconic singles pre-Britney or not.

But don't forget, you asked a question.
    If it's not really a question then you may as well have started the thread with a bold statement of opinion.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    Britney Spears 'Baby One More Time' to me was ironic and memorable. Number 1 debut for me. Sold nearly half a million copies first week release!
    Nothng that ironic about 'Wanabee' plus not that much good of a song. Just a loud of bunch of wanabees!!

Ironic?

The poster asked if it was iconic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is "Baby One More Time" By Britney THE most iconic, best debut ever?

Always good for a laugh this forum:p:D
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and to think that Baby One More Time was offered first to everyone from 5ive to TLC before Britney finally recorded it:eek:
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buddy Holly 'that'l be the day' , given its still being played 65 years later , I would suggest it probably qualifies as iconic.

Same for Frankie Lymon and the teenagers 'Why do fools fall in love'

Both of those guys have been dead for more than 50 years, and I'd take a bet more people know the words to those songs than do britneys.

Moving forward in time , you have 'I want you back' by the Jackson 5.

Thats like a full stop in the musical timeline, given it stands up as a pop song as well today as it did on its day of release.

Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK came to symbolise the social upheaval of the time in terms of the history of the UK and the mid '70's turmoil, its the soundtrack.

So no, britneys little pop song is catchy, it sold well, but isnt close to the impact of those .
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Personally I think Wannabe by the Spice Girls is more iconic and better debut than Baby One More Time. I think maybe BOMT could be seen as a bigger hit song because the ones that followed didn't have the same impact and it could be seen as she relied (wrong word to use but can't think of another) on that first song whereas the Spice Girls aren't remembered by their songs, they are remembered by the fact that at one point they were just EVERYWHERE.