Options

Backing Up Itunes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do you back up your itunes and all the songs on there so that if you have to change computers you can just transfer it all over and not have to put the whole lot back on? I have a lot of cds which i have on mine so it takes ages to put them all on it and i'd rather not have to do all that again in future.

Comments

• Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    External hard drive
  • Options
    Gaz82Gaz82 Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a PC the database is a file called iTunes Library.itl. You will also have a folder in the same directory called iTunes Music (or iTunes Media depending on how long you've had iTunes) which stores all your content.

I normally install iTunes on the new PC and then within the Music folder under libraries delete the old iTunes folder and copy over the existing one from the old PC to the same location. Then when you open iTunes everything should be in place.

If you only have a small library then you could just re-add your content to a new library but things like date added etc will be reset.
  • Options
    Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaz82 wrote: »
    If you only have a small library then you could just re-add your content to a new library but things like date added etc will be reset.

If you do it this way, you'll have to recreate all your playlists and resubscribe all your podcasts, however if you copy your iTunes Library.itl file your podcasts and playlists will transfer intact.

Be aware you may have more than one library file. The one you need has the most recent date attached. Hover your mouse pointer over the library file to see the date modified.
  • Options
    mat.ralphmat.ralph Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning All,

I have recently lost access to my iTunes library but still have my iPod.

Is there any way I can transfer my music etc from my iPod onto iTunes on a new PC, surely I don't have to load all my CDs again.

If I sync my iPod with a blank iTunes will it erase all the files from my iPod?

Very grateful for any advice,

Cheers, Matt.
  • Options
    mat.ralphmat.ralph Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duplicate post deleted