Options

Connecting tape deck and minidisc deck to same amp

DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Sherwood RX-2030R integrated amp and it just had my PC connected to it (via AUX Input) and a Sony MDS-JE510 MiniDisc deck (via TAPE IN/OUT)

Today i added a Technics SL-PS670A CD Player (via CD Input) and a Sony TC-WR670 Tape Deck.

Here's my problem:
The Sony MiniDisc is using the TAPE IN/OUT (as mentioned above) so how can i connect the tape deck?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it isn't an AV amp, I doubt there's much you can do if you only have one set of recording inputs - except use a switch box.

Problem then is that you wouldn't be able to record from one tape deck to the other.

Advice: get an AV amp, that typically has two sets of in/out - one for tape recorder, the other for video recorder. Just ignore the video i/o on the amp. VRs have exactly the same type of i/o connections to handle the audio as a tape recorder.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you still use the Sony TC-WR670 for recording or as a playback device only?

I'm thinking that a phono switch box would allow you to share an input.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is really simple if you have another line input.

Simply connect the tape deck to it or move the Minidisc, it really makes no difference.

So for example if you have both AUX 1 and AUX 2 inputs on the amp..

PC LINE OUT --> Amp AUX 1 IN
    CD OUT --> Amp CD IN
    MiniDisc OUT --> Amp AUX 2 IN
    Tape OUT --> Amp TAPE IN

There may be a TUNER input instead of AUX 2. if you don't have a TUNER then use that instead. It is only a label after all, there is no difference between the AUX, CD, TUNER or TAPE inputs in terms of what you can or cannot connect to them.

If you want to record on both the MiniDisc and the tape deck simply use a pair of phono splitters to split the single Tape RECORD OUT Left and Tape RECORD OUT Right phonos into two and run leads to both MindDisk IN and Tape Deck IN.

Just to clarify that is the two Left leads (one from the MiniDisc and one from the Tape) to the Left splitter and the two Right leads to the right splitter. NOT the two leads from Tape to the Left splitter and the two leads from the MiniDisc to the right splitter.

It is perfectly OK to split the amp OUTPUT to send it to two different inputs on two different devices. What you must never do however is use a splitter in reverse to combine the OUTPUTS from two devices into a single INPUT.

You should be able to record from MiniDisc to Tape and vice versa simply by selecting the appropriate inputs on the amp.

Remember the inputs on the amp are all pretty much identical. Apart from any one designed to be directly connected to the cartridge in a turntable. So there is absolutely nothing whatsoever special about the Tape Input. The only remotely special feature it may have is a Tape Monitor facility on the amp. This lets you feed say the CD player to the TAPE RECORD OUT sockets on the amp but listen to the TAPE PLAY INPUT so you can check the recording as it is being made.

But in reality the amp could care less what you actually plug up to it. provided you don't do anything silly like try to wire an input to the mains :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Do you still use the Sony TC-WR670 for recording or as a playback device only?

I'm thinking that a phono switch box would allow you to share an input.

At the moment i plan to use it for playback only but i may want to record on it so that's why i'm looking at options for connecting it with the minidisc.

The amp itself has a tuner built in so there is no tuner input.

It has the following:
    TAPE IN/OUT (Currently used by MiniDisc)
    CD (used by CD Player)
    AUX (used by PC)
    Phono (not used)

I know some amps don't like anything but turntables being connected to the Phono input. I do plan to add one at a later date though!

And yes this one does have the Tape Monitor feature :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the PHONO input is really designed just for turntables then it won't help. My amp (Denon) has a "PHONO" input that is actually a line in but if you take the lid off you can insert a cartridge preamp.

But if you are going to add a turntable anyway you won't want to add anything else to if even if it were possible.

My point about splitting the TAPE OUT still stands however. So you can use that to record on both MiniDisc and Tape. You just need a simple audio switch to extend one of the other inputs so you can add in the tape deck.

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=97932

will let you connect up to three devices to one of the amp inputs. So you could share the PC with the MiniDisc.

Or this which doesn't look so good but is a few quid cheaper and has four inputs - three on phonos and one on mini jack, (handy if you want to plug up an iPod or mp3 player occasionally).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=9328
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need an amp with more inputs. Sounds obvious, I know, but therein lies the dilemma...

A 4-in:1-out switch box URL="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9328&C=SO&U=strat15"]LINK[/URL would be the cheap solution. Then forget about connecting the tape deck and MD both permanently, just swap them to the tape loop when recording. £10, job done. Sound quality might take a bit of a hit though.

A new amp with two tape inputs would be the right way to do it...but do you really want to spend a couple of hundred quid? There's a Sony on the Richer site for £160 that fits the bill. Or there's the Cambridge Azur for £350 which would be quite good if you're a serious music fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need an amp with more inputs. Sounds obvious, I know, but therein lies the dilemma...

A 4-in:1-out switch box URL="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9328&C=SO&U=strat15"]LINK[/URL would be the cheap solution. Then forget about connecting the tape deck and MD both permanently, just swap them to the tape loop when recording. £10, job done. Sound quality might take a bit of a hit though.

A new amp with two tape inputs would be the right way to do it...but do you really want to spend a couple of hundred quid? There's a Sony on the Richer site for £160 that fits the bill. Or there's the Cambridge Azur for £350 which would be quite good if you're a serious music fan.

I just had a thought...

I mainly use the MD to record from the PC. So what would happen if i connected the OUT from the MD to AUX on the amp, then connected the PC to the IN on the MD. Then connected the tape deck to TAPE IN/OUT on the amp, would that work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DXRulz wrote: »
    I just had a thought...

I mainly use the MD to record from the PC. So what would happen if i connected the OUT from the MD to AUX on the amp, then connected the PC to the IN on the MD. Then connected the tape deck to TAPE IN/OUT on the amp, would that work?
    That would certainly work. As long as the PC is the ONLY thing you ever want to record to minidisc. You won't be able to record CD for example as you can now.

Whether you would be able to listen to the PC on the amp depends on the minidisc. It might pass the signal through if you put it into standby (though unlikley) or you may have a MONITOR button that passes the input to the output. Or just press REC which often achieves the same effect (you don't need to record anything)

But if you never intend listening to the PC on the amp then it doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    That would certainly work. As long as the PC is the ONLY thing you ever want to record to minidisc. You won't be able to record CD for example as you can now.

Whether you would be able to listen to the PC on the amp depends on the minidisc. It might pass the signal through if you put it into standby (though unlikley) or you may have a MONITOR button that passes the input to the output. Or just press REC which often achieves the same effect (you don't need to record anything)

But if you never intend listening to the PC on the amp then it doesn't really matter.

I may do it that way as a temporary solution for now :)

This MD Deck does play whatever is connected to the REC IN on the back if you press REC when "No Disc" is shown on the display.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just found out that the sound on my PC's motherboard supports 4 speakers, meaning the LINE IN can be used as Rear Speaker Out (which is what i have set it to) this now means i can still record onto MD but not have to have the MD on if i don't want to record (but want to use sound on the PC with its own speakers) :D