Options

Getting disc out of dead DVD machine

ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
Forum Member
✭✭
My dvd appears to have died overnight. I watched a film and it was fine, and I switched the machine to standby while I got ready for bed. Then I went to switched it back on to put the disc away, and nothing happened. Turns out there was no power getting to the player at all. I thought it might be a blown fuse, so I changed it, but it still appears to be totally dead.

It's an old machine, and it wasn't expensive, so I'm pretty much resigned to buying a new one. However, I would like to get my disc out, if possible. Is there a way to do this? Could I prise it open, or unscrew the casing, or something? Or would I have to take it somewhere and pay someone to get it out?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might be a little hole which will take a straightened paperclip or similar tool.

The hole is there specifically to enable you to release the lock on the drive mechanics - simply push the tool in the hole until you find resistence then push a little harder to release the lock.

You'll then be able to pull out the draw with your fingers.

Otherwise consult the manual. There may be an alternative means and it'll be shown there.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    If you are ultimately forced to dismantle the unit it will depend on the model how easy it is, but as you won't be bothered about putting it all back together again I would have a go. :)

Probably a good idea to make sure it's been disconnected from the mains for several hours so there's no high voltages stored where your fingers might come into contact.

Chances are a small philips screwdriver will be all you need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of couse, there may be a second fuse accessible on the back of the machine, or by removing the cover. It'll usually be plain glass and therefore easy to diagnose.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I couldn't find a pokey hole (and I lost the manual years ago) so I unscrewed the top and prised the tray open. There was a fuse inside, but it looks fine, so I think that maybe the mountain of cat hair and dust that was in there maybe had something to do with it not working!

And now I get to go and buy a new one. :D