Benidorm

Comments

• zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agree there was something missing, from tonight's episode, not the same without johnny Vegas
    and Mel..
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    But you only watched half an hour :confused:

Thank God
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they would have come back for this and the 4th series if Geoffrey (Mel) had died earlier. They were fairly near to production when he died so they had to go ahead with it. With both him and Vegas out of it that's a big disadvantage to something that's already gonna feel a little tired.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was OK
    But not the best episode but was better than come fly with me.

When it does come back on I hope they put more jokes in.
    I did not laugh as much.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to chose tonight and Upstairs Downstairs won, so can't comment on how good/bad it was but!, i suppose it was always going to be hard with the actor playing Mel dying so close to filming, it must have put a real damper on all those involved!,what a shame he was certainly a bit contributer to the show and will be greatly missed by everyone....

But it is repeated tomorrow night so i am going to sit down then and hopefully, enjoy it.......:)
  • Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sort of humour is good but can tire quickly. When the Royle Family finished in 2000 it was about the right time. Just bringing it back for specials over the last few years has worked. They should consider resting Benidorm and only having one off specials if they absolutely must commission further episodes. With regular episodes it's in danger of being burnt out. The premise is already flimsy enough since the exact same group of people would not keep on returning to the same hotel/resort at the same time every year.
  • JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be the only one so far who enjoyed it, I laughed a fair bit and thought it was a fitting tribute at the end to both Mel and Geoffrey
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree there was something missing, from tonight's episode, not the same without johnny Vegas
    and Mel..

I missed Gavin and Troy.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,189
    Forum Member
    JJAMUFC wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one so far who enjoyed it, I laughed a fair bit and thought it was a fitting tribute at the end to both Mel and Geoffrey

Not the only one, I laughed too, and I loved the dedication to Geoffrey, lovely touch! :)
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJAMUFC wrote: »

Thank goodness for you!... i am hoping to really enjoy it as well when i watch tomorrow!.... i dont know how it needs resting!, we only get about 6 episodes once a year, i want more not less of this great programme!......:cool:
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    The last 10 minutes was by far the best bit, a totally believable way of writing Mel out.

I just had the OH shouting at the screen that it doesnt snow in Benidorm....

( I don't know whether it does in real life or not....:o:D ). The programme was pretty poor though.

Royle Family - ace
    Come Fly With Me - good in parts
    Benidorm - dire.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I remember a few years ago it snowed in Valencia which is about 1 hour north of Benidorm and you saw at the end it was the cross dresser with a snow machine on the top of the Benidorm Palace.
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute garbage not a single laugh in it. I was a big fan of benidorm for the first two series, after that its been going downhill fast, the one offs havent worked, if this is a sampler of whats to come consign it to the bin now....BOBBINS!
  • JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    Thank goodness for you!... i am hoping to really enjoy it as well when i watch tomorrow!.... i dont know how it needs resting!, we only get about 6 episodes once a year, i want more not less of this great programme!......:cool:

the best thing to do is ignore any comments in this thread and watch it with an open mind, I'm certain you will enjoy it - and I'm the same, Benidorm is the best comedy show of its kind in recent years! I love how they do funny but also sad in the same episode.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,235
    Forum Member
    Mel's death was handled very well, and I liked the use of 'somewhere over the rainbow'

but that can't disguise what was an abysmal epsiode. Not one laugh to be had!

Don't know where to start with the criticism! Don't know which bit of the epsiode was worse. The cringe-worthy food fight between Madge and Su Pollard, all based on a 'joke' that Madge got confused between Rod Hull and Su Pollard:confused:

next there was Louis Spence appearing for no reason at all.

The hotel receptionist suddenly becoming all 'prim and proper' about the swingers antics, despite them being guests at the hotel for years, and have been getting up to all sorts at the hotel for years!

Tim Healy being a crossdresser may have been funny...had they not already used that exact same plot a couple of series back.

The barman for some reason was doing a desperate bottle juggling act to try and get on stage at the Benedorm Palace...which just seemed random, and no explanation was given as to why he would want to in the first place.

Su Pollard ending up in a naturist hotel was mildly amusing...but the 'celeb gets picked up by wrong taxi driver/gets lost at airport' plot has been done to death by other shows.

all in all, if the show is going to be this bad with Johnny Vegas and 'Troy' 'Gavin' and 'Mel' then it is time for it to be axed.
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode of Benidorm was cack - thank God recorded TOP GEAR for a laugh!
  • eddy_windarseeddy_windarse Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Having watched Benidorm earlier i agree with a few of the comments that the Xmas Special episode certainly wasn't the best. However i
    wonder just how much the actors who played in the special episode were deeply affected by the untimely death of a very popular fellow co-actor/ character & friend. I doubt it was easy for them to play their characters in the light of what happened, infact i got the impression that the tears of sadness at the end were infact real?
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Helbrown wrote: »

It does, but it's rare.
    It certainly would have been too cold to go out in just a t-shirt... let alone go swimming!! It was only around 5C today :eek:
  • jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbrown wrote: »

( I don't know whether it does in real life or not....:o:D ). The programme was pretty poor though.

Royle Family - ace
    Come Fly With Me - good in parts
    Benidorm - dire.

i have to agree with this
  • mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who is louis spence?:confused:
  • buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a fan of this program and was really looking forward to the "Christmas Special"

However it was a huge let -down - not just the missing characters but a very weak script and laughs few and far between.

It may have survived the departure of Vegas et-al with a better storyline but unfortunately this was not to be the case.

It just didn't work:cry:
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think considering they only had six weeks to rewrite the programme due to Geoffreys shock death, it was a really good episode.
    Not only did the episode have to be rewritten but also the cast and crew would also still be in morning so I do feel it was really well written and very good.
    I was crying at the end, it was so sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only started watching Benidorm during the last series and I enjoyed it last night. A bit silly in places but light-hearted for a boxing day. Considering the comparisions to the earlier series, I must say I'm looking forward to getting the dvd's.
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I think considering they only had six weeks to rewrite the programme due to Geoffreys shock death, it was a really good episode.
    Not only did the episode have to be rewritten but also the cast and crew would also still be in morning so I do feel it was really well written and very good.
    I was crying at the end, it was so sad.

I would agree, and to be honest I doubt there would have been an option to scrap the whole project as it would have been too late, (which probably would have been the best option had it been possible) so I guess they were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Another option would have been not to kill off the character at all and just refer to him as being away as I they started doing at the start but then maybe that would have been disrespectful:confused:

So overall I think they perhaps made the best of what they could but it was disappointing.

Apparently they are doing another series, I think its time to put it to bed myself....
  • KatanaBladeKatanaBlade Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really disappointing show. Love Benidorm usually, but it was without laughs for the most part. Loius Spence appearance was pointless. Su Pollard was annoying. It didn't feel right basing it outside the resort and many familiar faces were missing.