TOAST - Nigel Slater/ Helena Bonham Carter

Comments

• frenchie16frenchie16 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    That was the best piece of drama I have seen for a very long time - funny and poignant in equal measure. And Nigel Slater's cameo at the end really was the perfect finishing touch. I thought the acting by the two young "Slaters" was sublime and the resemblance to the real Nigel in looks and mannerisms was quite uncanny. I had lost all hope in enjoying any of the "festive" telly offerings. Thank God for toast! And yes, I had to have a slice of toast dripping with butter midway through - just to get into the mood of course....:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frenchie16 wrote: »
    That was the best piece of drama I have seen for a very long time - funny and poignant in equal measure.

You are so right. Brilliantly acted and wonderful attention to period detail too. The highlight of Christmas so far. :)
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of the two ages of him were even remotely likeable on any level, and everyone has something about them that is likeable and that you can relate to.

Since this drama was based on real people, it's good that they didn't come across as totally likeable and instead had real personalities. It must have been hard for the father though, knowing that his wife could die at any time, even if he wasn't a great father. And losing your mother at a young age can cause 'bratish' behaviour at times, it's not as if children have the same view of death as adults.

For me, this was the best programme on tv all Christmas :) and the young boy playing young Nigel is a good actor for his age.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed Toast. It's nice to watch something which was warm and cosy, yet not completely rose tinted. The characters weren't always sympathetic, but there was some very touching moments, particularly his mother and Nigel crying in the storecupboard, his father crying in the corner of his room, Nigel making his father a fish supper and Mrs Potter running after Nigel asking him not to leave her...I thought it all balanced out, and that made it very compelling.

I didn't know it was just a one-off and thought there were more episodes coming! In that case, the ending did feel a bit rushed and maybe not so satisfying. I'm sorry to hear that they're not doing the next stages of his life. I'll have to get the book now, too to find out what happens :)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I I've never cared for Nigel Slater as a TV cook from any perspective, be it the way he cooks or his personality.

Well he cooks as you should cook - not the Delia Smith way.

Thought this was excellent.

Two brave characterisations of the young Nigel.

The dad showed very ocassional, and very slight, signs of tenderness but generally you could easily see why Nigel - as potrayed - was as he was.

Mrs Potter - nice enough until he brings the scones home, then an evil selfish bitch.

Loved the walk out scene - almosty cheered.

The 'real' Nigel cameo was a nice touch

"I do a great lemon meringe."

"They all say that......"

Sexually Nigel has clearly 'swung both ways' but with his upbringing you can see why.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this, but when the mother was using her asthma inhaler I thought that is modern. I recognised it as the one I use, as I have asthma. Infact I developed in full in the early 70s at 12 and had to take tablets for years before moving on to an inhaler in the late 80s. There where inhalers but you had to put a powder capsule into it and click down and then remove. Bugger to wash as you had to use boiling water or you got built up on the spinner bit.

I had a 'modern' inhaler in the 70s. They were around then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    About the veggie garden. I think it was common practice to allow your gardener an area to grow veggies and he could keep them. That way you pay him a bit less.

I loved this programme. It was so obviously written from childhood memories and as such was a bit different than the purely fictional dramas. In real life people are more complex and there are always aspects of people that are not quite so nice. I think it is great that he has been so honest. He obviously remembers hating Mrs Potter and that continued throughout his childhood. It didn't make him as likeable as you might want him to be but it was what he remembered.
    Definitely going to get the book!

Thanks, I wondered why they had this when they ate out of tins.
  • mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this but couldnt match a lot of the feelings and moods with the book I had read years ago. I will have to re read it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the step mum is still alive? She might have some views on the subject.
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I enjoyed it, I do think people have a point about young Nigel, I ended up feeling sorrier for Mrs Potter than Nigel in the end :o.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit having watched this I want to now read the book, as I am hoping that young Nigel is more likeable and there is more background into what drove him to be a chef.

But there is a limit to what can be shown in an hour and a half and I appreciate that.

However, on the point that some are making about what an unpleasant young boy Nigel was portrayed as. And how he was mean to Mrs Potter.

Just to say that in the 70's it was very unlikely that a child about to lose a parent would be told/informed of what was happening. So it would be a confusing time - he just sees his mother as bed bound, if her illness is not discussed he will just feel bereft and abandoned. Especially if he did not have a loving, supportive parent who tried to help him overcome what he has been through.

I think we all sometimes forget that all the modern services and support available to children who have suffered or are due to suffer a death in the family were not there then. So possibly children now are more able to understand what is happening - even though the effect of devestating a life is still the same.

But back to Toast, I did enjoy it and wish it had been a series and so maybe not so rushed, so we got a better understanding of why there was so much competition for his father's attention.

My mum died in the fifies when I was five, and I remember no-one talking about her, and I daren't, as it might upset someone, so everything was bottled up. It was a time of stiff upper lips and getting on with it.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    What a bizarre film of a weird set of people. Watched it all but I can’t say I enjoyed it and Bonham Carter has to be the least convincing scouser I’ve ever seen - Harry Enfield could have played it better!

Scouser? From Wolverhampton?
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum died in the fifies when I was five, and I remember no-one talking about her, and I daren't, as it might upset someone, so everything was bottled up. It was a time of stiff upper lips and getting on with it.

A very bad thing.
    Although I enjoyed it, I do think people have a point about young Nigel, I ended up feeling sorrier for Mrs Potter than Nigel in the end :o.

I didn't.

She quickly became very unpleasant towards him.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    What a bizarre film of a weird set of people. Watched it all but I can’t say I enjoyed it and Bonham Carter has to be the least convincing scouser I’ve ever seen - Harry Enfield could have played it better!

Just as welll she was playing someone from Wolverhampton then.

Really enjoyed that, would love to know if he did ever mend his relationship with Joan, felt so desperately sorry for her as he walked away. The lad who played little Nigel was absolutely wonderful, as was his childhood friend
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very decent audience of 6.2m watched last night - officially a hit. That puts it ahead of some well-established TV drama series this year. Thoroughly well deserved.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was alright, better than most of this Christmas's rubbish.

Not the best drama of the year though. A long way off in fact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That could be because she was from Wolverhampton not Liverpool?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the step mum is still alive? She might have some views on the subject.

I notice they changed her name and the Dad's. They did say at the start that some of the details had been changed. She certainly wasn't a nice character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am so sorry to hear that teresagreen, it must have be a terribly confusing time for you & with no way of letting out what your feelings were :cry:
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    A very bad thing.

I didn't.

She quickly became very unpleasant towards him.

I felt that she was just trying to protect her place with his father she would have liked Nigel to warm to her and accept her as his step mother.

I think she was scared he would win his father round and she would end up with her old sad life.

She spent all her time being the cleaner still.

All in all a fantastic bit of tv. I want more!!
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed that, would love to know if he did ever mend his relationship with Joan, felt so desperately sorry for her as he walked away.

I believe someone said earlier in the thread - someone who's read the book - that Nigel did mend his relationship with his step-mother and even took her out to dinner.
  • colinpostcolinpost Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this, but when the mother was using her asthma inhaler I thought that is modern.
    - As a baby boomer asthmatic - the original pump inhalers were around for a short time. They were taken off the market due to causing heart problems - i know because they nearly killed me ! (later re-introduced as relivers and preventer types - Ventolin/becotode).
    I also remember my grannie had the glass aerosel container pump at the time, which i would expect Slaters mum to have ? .

There where inhalers but you had to put a powder capsule into it and click down and then remove.
    - Spinhalers with orange or green capsules !
  • PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    I believe someone said earlier in the thread - someone who's read the book - that Nigel did mend his relationship with his step-mother and even took her out to dinner.

I think this was meant as a joke? According to this http://www.areyoureadytoorder.co.uk/interview.php?id=10 they never spoke again and she is now dead.

There is no mention of any reconciliation in the book either. He describes once going to ring her, but he changes his mind and walks away from the payphone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been years since I read the book but wasn't the dad much more of an abusive bully than he was portrayed by Ken Stott?